Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on September 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM

Title: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 09, 2014, 11:27:51 PM
On his Facebook site DSS was lamenting that there are no longer large stashes of NOS parts to be had from the Main Dealers trying to offload old parts:

Someone commented:
Honda Blackbird: I've used you for a long time but nowadays find your prices very close or the same as those of main dealers, sadly. Only the postage is cheaper. How about offering a loyalty card or something with 10% off for regular customers?

Our sentiments too !!

Cheers ... AshD
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Green1 on September 09, 2014, 11:38:07 PM
I can get some sort of discount or freebie were ever I go but try as I might I can't get anything at DSS.

Mick 
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: JamesH on September 10, 2014, 12:30:34 AM
Yep same here...
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: bike-pusher on September 10, 2014, 06:25:21 AM
He's had a run of nearly three decades at it, and the motorcycle industry's parts distribution business model has completely changed since he started.  I'd say he's done fairly well, and now has to start thinking hard what he should do next.

I'd suggest more replica parts, but they have to be of decent quality, and obviously the production runs will be much shorter so the unit costs can't be amortised over tens of thousands of bikes.

I foresee lots of calculator button-pushing in his future.
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 10, 2014, 07:48:20 AM
This is what he posted:

"It is fair to say, it ain't what it used to be. On my way to Heathrow for another US trip, I stopped by at a couple of long standing Honda dealers to see if they had old stock parts that they wanted to sell. What years ago would be lorry and van loads has now become car boot fulls. Thankfully, DSS is no longer dependent on this type of business, when it first started, that is all it did."
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 10, 2014, 07:56:34 AM
This is what he posted:

"It is fair to say, it ain't what it used to be. On my way to Heathrow for another US trip, I stopped by at a couple of long standing Honda dealers to see if they had old stock parts that they wanted to sell. What years ago would be lorry and van loads has now become car boot fulls. Thankfully, DSS is no longer dependent on this type of business, when it first started, that is all it did."

To be fair to him he is investing in getting (from all reports I have heard) decent pattern parts made for the 400/4 and CX500 at least. I remember when people were in bidding wars on eBay for decent UK 400/4 rear mudguards &  paying absolutely silly money, at least he has put a stop to that. Pity he won't stock more Yamiya/PMC parts though and I think Saisei-Europe are going to pick up a lot of business there, which was ripe for him to pick up. well at least another 'David' will be involved ;)

Cheers ...AshD
Title: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: JamesH on September 10, 2014, 08:10:51 AM
Good point Ash. I would imagine the tooling costs alone for a set of hm341's must be into six figures - a serious investment on his part. Hopefully they hurry up and start making them again...
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Trigger on September 10, 2014, 08:38:41 AM
The cost is not that great if a tool firm has a Mandrel bender, Press and a wielding set up . The internal parts are simple. The biggest cost would be the molds for the press and chroming but, it is all down to the unit production costs and the sales. I have had meetings with a tool firm about the production of many parts. The problem i have found in the UK is most firms will not take on a small job.
 
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: UK Pete on September 10, 2014, 10:23:15 AM
DS prices have not been particularly cheap for a good few years, just look at what he had to fund a museum, pattern part investment, 400/4 restoration progame and USA branch to name a few, he has evolved a large business from reasonable priced parts, now he has all this to fund the prices are average to Damn  right high, but  hey we still need him and continue to use him
Cmsl prices are even dearer
Pete
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: bike-pusher on September 10, 2014, 12:22:05 PM
Swings and roundabouts, mind - DS still has some bargains.  I run a Honda CB two Fifty as a town/commuter bike, and the one I bought had a decaying exhaust (Balance pipe: usual thing).  Motad 2-1 was something like £275.

DS was (still is) offering OE replacements at £89+VAT per side.  I'm tempted to lay in a second set and just keep it in the attic, but the Two Fifty is never going to be a desirable classic so who'd want to buy a system in 10-20 years is a moot point.....

Butr basically, it's supply & demand.  There are lots of people restoring SOHC fours, especially the 400, and there simply aren't many good parts extant.
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 10, 2014, 04:33:38 PM
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4]
The cost is not that great if a tool firm has a Mandrel bender, Press and a wielding set up . The internal parts are simple. The biggest cost would be the molds for the press and chroming but, it is all down to the unit production costs and the sales. I have had meetings with a tool firm about the production of many parts. The problem i have found in the UK is most firms will not take on a small job.

Here is the tooling used to manufacture the repro HM341's

cheers .. Ash
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on September 10, 2014, 05:23:46 PM
I would agree with the 1st post (10% discount for regular customer), I have been buying from DSS for 7 years, but I do not think its going to happen!

This year I have bought NOS parts from cmsnl.com with free delivery (spend over 500 Euro's)
and recently from japan.webike.net retro Honda parts free delivery (spend over 300 GBP)

Spend £150+ for free UK delivery at DSS...?

Alan

Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Green1 on September 10, 2014, 05:35:58 PM
I forgot about your 1100 Al weren't you going to review it for us. ;)

Mick
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on September 10, 2014, 06:31:23 PM
Hi Mick,

I can't recall the review on this site, plenty info on the USA site. www.CB1100forum.com

Alan
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 10, 2014, 06:51:59 PM
Free post in your dreams!!!!
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Trigger on September 10, 2014, 07:09:04 PM
Ash, that tooling is so old now. Today's machines have built in tooling and are amazing bits of kit. Today Vauxhall can build a Corsa in the morning and Vauxhall Adam in the afternoon on the same line. 
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 10, 2014, 08:17:42 PM
Ash, that tooling is so old now. Today's machines have built in tooling and are amazing bits of kit. Today Vauxhall can build a Corsa in the morning and Vauxhall Adam in the afternoon on the same line.
It may be old but if you are buying the latest  DSS replica HM341 exhausts then that's the tooling that's being used to manufacture it!

Cheers ... Ash
Title: Re: Comment by a guy on DSS Facebook page
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 10, 2014, 08:49:23 PM
Ash
From what I have read on this forum sounds like you have a great relationship with DS.He is in business to make a living like most of us but no more spares knocking around maybe but he has opened up in the USA cant be that bad can it?The likes of me and trust me I hate buying from there because of ridiculous post costs but have no choice.We all wish for somewhere that has everything and sunder but he DONT.So we have to go further a field and the states had the most of everything.Said b4 somestuff good price some poxy.If he offered discounts on amounts spent and regular use he might do even better.Even the krauts if you ask offer discounts
Cheers
Bitsa