Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: RGP750 on September 14, 2014, 08:32:33 PM
-
Hi KO owners how good do you think this is.?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB750-Stock-Sandcast-K0-KO-Stock-Seat-Ducktail-1969-1970-THE-BEST-/380974120501
I have the bug and seriously fancy a KO, and trying to price things up.
-
Speak to Ash or David from Saesei. By the time you've paid for it, shipped it and paid import duty on the whole lot you'd be better off ordering a Yamiya seat (with correct red foam) from Saisei.
-
Rich
Good for you mate in my opinion go for it mate.On another line can you afford a divorce?Dont give a shit about how wonderfull wifes are, but k0s you just cant bullshit the cost.
Over to you guys who have been and done it
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Rich
Good for you mate in my opinion go for it mate.On another line can you afford a divorce?Dont give a shit about how wonderfull wifes are, but k0s you just cant bullshit the cost.
Over to you guys who have been and done it
Cheers
Bitsa
Bitsa makes a very good point - when you get down to k0's you have to do it right or prob not at all. Luckily Yamiya are reproducing a lot of the key k0 items...and hopefully with Saisei-europe planning to bring in their stuff the costs should be a little more bearable...
-
Its a PMC / Yamiya one with the non red foam. He is a Yamiya USA distributor and the SOOC guys have been ragging him I believe recently because he is selling sandcast bits that are not sandcast or not from the sandcast bike he says they are from.
Will add the PMC link later
Link added:-
PMC item 146-1301 55,000 JPY = around 315 GBP but you will be hit big style by HMRC and delivery costs.
Talk to David at Saisei-Europeand get a landed price from him. If you want a red foam one then you are talking quite a bit more. Hope this helps .... I do have the landed price from David at Saisei , if you want it I can PM it.
http://www.win-pmc.com/replace_cb/
Cheers .. Ash
-
I have been offered a 69 ko
and waiting for photos, he says its not pretty but i'm not worried about that
would do a long term resto not as quick as the k2 i have just finished,
So it must be right. Is that did rims etc.
Where is best source /reasonable prices( ::)) for parts
It has extended forks,no mudguards,no seat. not a wrinkle tank but has a tank.
has correct switches,clocks,oil tank, side panels/badges, engine no external damage, frame
wheels with wrong rear rim. 4 pull carbs,caliper and reservoir.
-
Well the rim is a nightmare to source and the front hub is wider than the later bikes so check that it's correct. The rear rim you could probably fit the later non rounded type and 99% of people would not notice. There was a gold jap import at Lotherton Hall VJMC show a few weeks back it had both wheels with latest DID side scripted rims but he was still selling for 10K GBP and people were still drooling over it. As myself and Pete and JamesH have found out recently, they are as money pit if care is not taken in bidding wars on eBay and you get totally obsessed over them, which is a tad unhealthy to say the least. You can get pretty decent copies of the double-cut and Euro rear fenders from Eric in Vietnam. I got my front one from him polished but un-chromed and its pretty good. Mine doesn't have wrinkle tank and never did when sold by the original UK sale dealer but that's not to say it wasn't damaged in transit from Japan or by the registering dealer. Sounds like you have the all important 4 pull carbs. LPM do a pretty decent airbox repro and everyone uses them as the styrene originals were crap. Check if it has the recessed ignition switch too as these are pricey second hand and not repro'd yet, as far as I am aware. Make sure it has plastic clocks but thankfully Lecram in Holland does absolutely spot on replacements for faces and plastic cover/lens... even the sandcast boys can't fault them. I think things are getting slightly better repro wise since I aquired mine in 2008 and price wise recently. Good luck buying it. Didn't you fancy the one that JamesH was selling on here recently? Check if the tank flap is magnetic as it should be chromed alloy (antimon or 'pot metal' as we limeys call it ::))
Obviously HM300 pipes are expensive now but David at Saisei-Europe is doing a good deal on Yamiya NoNo pipes at the mo. a lot cheaper than the identical item from DSS.
Myself and Steph will be asking our all important question .. is it a genuine UK bike?
Cheers .. AshD
-
Consider the integrity of the frame as well, 50 plus years is plenty of time for corrosion to take hold inside the frame tubes, I had to scrap the original swingarm on my 1977 donor bike, it was like a teabag!, luckily the frame is solid but I know someone that went though 3 frames before he found a solid one.
-
Hi ash
One bug it's an import,always said i didn't want American but what is the chance of a UK bike turning up.
Yes it has plastic clocks, correct ignition switch and rubber bung key. what is the difference in hub width?
Yes i have thought about Jamse's but can you get 4 pull carbs at reasonable price? But his does have a seat.
I found DID rims on a site tonight at 115 dollars each. side stamped, i'll try and find it again.
I should James a call
-
Hi ash
One bug it's an import,always said i didn't want American but what is the chance of a UK bike turning up.
Yes it has plastic clocks, correct ignition switch and rubber bung key. what is the difference in hub width?
Yes i have thought about Jamse's but can you get 4 pull carbs at reasonable price? But his does have a seat.
I found DID rims on a site tonight at 115 dollars each. side stamped, i'll try and find it again.
I should James a call
Good point on frame condition from Mark. Yes 4-pull carbs are hard to find and expensive. UK bikes usually rust buckets and usually overpriced and way non-standard. USA style rear fender still available new from Honda and also chance of a good used one from the States pretty good. I have a new set of scripted F&R DID rims I am going to eBay shortly (new from DSS not NOS).
Cheers ... Ash
-
My gold k1 frame looked perfect had it striped and painted and them on reassembly as the weight built up a weld broke near the center stand.It's worth drilling small drain holes to let moisture escape.
Mick
-
I'll have to trust the guy selling it re the frame as he is the other end of the country,not ideal
but he seems ok on the phone.
-
The front hub is only a few millimetres wider and the brake rotor disc, bolts and speedo drive plate and speedo drive are slightly different too. I will take some photos of a K0 and K1 to show you. However if everything is swapped over from a K1 and later you can hardly notice the difference. But again the bug gets you and you want it original. Trust me it's an obsession. Also check if he has the mirrors. They have the acorn nut on them and should have a Hm stamp plus another squiggly stamp plus a patent number. They are mega rare but available as repro if you are not fussy about the original stampings (Yamiya / PMC). I have the originals from mine CW with Patent No.s but I got a NOS pair with just Hm and the squiggly stamp on them.
Cheers .. Ash
-
Thanks for that Ash.don't know about mirrors , has weir handlebars apparently ,i'll
get more info when i see photos later this week.
There is a tatty mirror on ebay at about £150 .
The bike is in Scotland and i'm in kent so i will have to trust this Guy and
the gamble is mine.
-
I wouldn't worry about the mirrors just get some from Yamiya or PMC as they are not over the top price wise and just don't venture onto the sandcastonly site ::)
Make sure the head and barrels are sandcast BTW. The sandcast head and barrels have one less m6 screw so that's a dead giveaway. If they are not correct they are hard to find and hence expensive....... Ask UKPete!!
Correct bars are still available from Honda I think and not difficult to find used but may need a re-chrome.
Have you downloaded my mega big DropBox file with the parts/service manuals ?The Genuine Honda K0/K1/K2 parts manual is in there.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0
Cheers .. Ash
-
Thanks Ash.
Brilliant, I will get the guy to do some engine close ups. The 6mm screws you mention are they the cam cover screws?
Thanks so much for your help with these details ,it will all help me to make a decision from
this far away.
Rich
-
They are beteen the head and barrels. If you download the parts book link I think there is an explored diagram. Even if you don't buy that one I bet 100% you will be getting one ;D. It's a bit like when the missus nags on about moving house, once you agree to do it .. you are out of there !
Good luck Ash
-
Oh You are so right ;D ;D ;D
-
Ha ha good luck with this Rich. Be prepared to get very poor very quickly ha ha...
I'm probably going to hold onto my K0 for the time being - managed to shift a couple of other bikes so let's compare notes when you source your one...hope it turns out to be a goo'un.
J
-
Rich if you want to send me some photo's i can have a nose at them and maybe advise you a bit, i have picked up a fair bit of knowledge on the 69 750 and having two of them in my stash can refer to them, ash has made some great points which you should find helpful also take a look at my k0 restoration thread and you will see many pictures of original parts
pete
-
Rich if you want to send me some photo's i can have a nose at them and maybe advise you a bit, i have picked up a fair bit of knowledge on the 69 750 and having two of them in my stash can refer to them, ash has made some great points which you should find helpful also take a look at my k0 restoration thread and you will see many pictures of original parts
pete
Def take Pete up on that as well Rich....
-
Hi James ,taken up Pete's offer thanks for yours as well.
I can be a bit impetuous.
I feel plenty of help/guidance coming over the next year if i manage to get it. ;)
Cheers Guys