Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => Other Bikes => Topic started by: Spitfire on September 16, 2014, 11:54:11 AM
-
Hi guys, this makes me feel really old, my grandson has a CR85R (2006) and recently had problems with it, I have never worked on 2 strokes before but gave in to family pressure and had a look at it. Pulling the head and barrel off revealed the problem, the piston ring had a chip missing, this must have got trapped between the piston and barrel and took a chunk out of the piston, the coating (chrome) on the barrel is very worn by the exhaust area. This is all fixable and is no problem but I turned the engine over the other day and the crankcase must have a level of oil in it, is this normal ? should it be drained periodically ? the bike runs on a 2 stroke mix so presumably the oil builds up, should I leave it ?
Cheers
Dennis
-
Long time since I've played with a 2 stroke, last time was more than 30 years ago when I was given a T500 Suzuki. As far as I can remember, 2 strokes run a "total loss" lubrication system in the engine. Therefore, any oil left in the crankcases is almost certainly from the gearbox, which means a crankshaft seal has failed, and replacing one of those is a lot of hassle! :'(
-
is there a lot of oil?
has it been stood idle ?
could it be leaking from the carb?
does it use petrol-oil mix? or oil pumped from a tank into the inlet port?
-
is there a lot of oil?
has it been stood idle ?
could it be leaking from the carb?
does it use petrol-oil mix? or oil pumped from a tank into the inlet port?
There must be quite a bit of oil as the crank is dipping in it, the bike was not standing for any length of time and the carb had been removed, and it is petrol/oil mix.
-
Long time since I've played with a 2 stroke, last time was more than 30 years ago when I was given a T500 Suzuki. As far as I can remember, 2 strokes run a "total loss" lubrication system in the engine. Therefore, any oil left in the crankcases is almost certainly from the gearbox, which means a crankshaft seal has failed, and replacing one of those is a lot of hassle! :'(
Thanks for the reply a crankshaft seal was my first conclusion as the engine has recently been apart for a very expensive rebuild by a friend of the daughters, but I was hoping to be very wrong and there would be a simple (cheap) explanation.
Cheers
Dennis
-
Sounds like it leaked through the carb, good job you didn't kick it over as if it was transfered to the top a bent conrod ensues----lots of Suzi GT250's died that way