Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on September 19, 2014, 07:56:44 PM

Title: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 19, 2014, 07:56:44 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-400-4-SUPER-SPORT-OUTFIT-/141406207163?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item20ec777cbb
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 19, 2014, 08:13:15 PM
Ash
Not really into that shit myself on a 550 new back in the 70s, swore I would never ride one again and have not but I like the look of that really do.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: RGP750 on September 19, 2014, 08:17:52 PM
Did the same with a Gold Wing, Still don't know why i ended up sitting in the middle of a roundabout.
2cwt tractor weight in the chair did help.
Didn't keep it long.
Happy days. ;D
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: tom400f on September 19, 2014, 08:24:16 PM
How do you stop it?

EDIT: Ok just noticed it has a modern caliper, but still...
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: matthewmosse on September 19, 2014, 09:37:08 PM
Already have a 500/4 outfit. Stops fine on standard tyres and brakes. Best fun you can have with yer trousers on, think the 400 might suffer from the weight compared to the 500 but not much, I would miss the sideways action I could just pull on the 500, with k&n filter which is the speck I am reverting to.
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: steff750 on September 19, 2014, 09:42:59 PM
Quote
Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!

 :) yes me and the grand daughter
        good fun check out my gallery
 I was brought up on combos we even went to London in one , it took two days no motorways in them days  ::)
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: andy120t on September 20, 2014, 08:48:34 AM
£6k?! ... bet it doesn't sell. 
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: matthewmosse on September 20, 2014, 09:26:25 AM
If the seller wants 6k they really need to give a lot more detail. I know a sidecar can cost a bit to set up but that one looks a bit too impractical for most but if it sports a lot of trick bits for track days it might float someones boat. My sidecar outfit was £800 but needed a head gaskett and was in petty good std trim though had done 68k at the time. Thing is with that one is it is done to very specific tastes and the seller may not get their money back. Only done 10 miles- maybe not set up right. Common issue on sidecars. Scare people silly. Done right and driven right a scream. Terrible if poorly done or piloted
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: bike-pusher on September 20, 2014, 11:35:51 AM
One day I will own another outfit.  I love them.
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: andy120t on September 21, 2014, 08:06:58 AM
I've always liked the look of the Ural/Neval/Dnepr/Cossack combinations. Horribly agricultural and slow but would like to have one in pace of a second car. Saw a 'barn find' one in bits on a trailer yesterday in Stansted Mountfitchet - so it's either just ceom from ebay or will soon be on it - didn't have a camera though (I really should get a modern 'phone then I could take this unexpected piccies!)
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: AshimotoK0 on September 21, 2014, 08:14:04 AM
I've always liked the look of the Ural/Neval/Dnepr/Cossack combinations. Horribly agricultural and slow but would like to have one in pace of a second car. Saw a 'barn find' one in bits on a trailer yesterday in Stansted Mountfitchet - so it's either just ceom from ebay or will soon be on it - didn't have a camera though (I really should get a modern 'phone then I could take this unexpected piccies!)

The importer was in Hull near me 'Neval' Motorcycles I think it was NevMason and Alan Voase hence the name. Remember going into their shop and they  had loads of dealer take of Honda exhausts that were warranty claims from Main Dealers in the 70's. I bought a pair of 250G5  exhausts and they looked brand new to me and I couldn't find any blemishes on them.

Those bikes definitely were agricultural though...I meant the Russian ones not the G5 ;)

Cheers ..AshD
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: bike-pusher on September 21, 2014, 08:17:39 AM
This was my Jawa combo, back in the day (some 20 years ago)

(http://i.imgur.com/GYJKHsr.jpg)
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: matthewmosse on September 21, 2014, 08:26:07 AM
My current sidecar count is 2 complete but project outfits one being my 500/4 I also have a bmw r90/6 with a Busmar double adult chair, leading link forks, twin plugged engine. Pulled wheelies in 3rd. However i vastly prefer the 500/4 outfit with stock forks - way more quirky. Steering which is fun. The bmw could be ridden by anyone. Probably single hand on the bars all day - technically fantastic but that removes the fun.
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: Bryanj on September 21, 2014, 02:30:41 PM
I remember PDI ing a Ural with sidecar years ago and the side car was on the opposite side---By god you needed strong arms to keep it out of the gutter!!
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: bike-pusher on September 21, 2014, 03:52:36 PM
They banned right-hand chairs, for some unfathomable reason.
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: Johnwebley on September 21, 2014, 04:22:50 PM
never ridden a road outfit,

 raced several Kneelers ,BSA 650 and 750 motors,I even built a Imp engined outfit,

then the Yam 750  came and it got wildly expensive !!

oh for petrol at 37p per gallon !!!

happy days !!
Title: Re: Any budding Wallace and Grommits out there !!
Post by: matthewmosse on September 21, 2014, 06:26:37 PM
Place where I occasionally help out leading guided trail bike tours, they have an f2 racing sidecar they take out on the odd track day, uses a thundercat engine. Totally nuts looking machine, slick tyres a foot wide, only 18 inches tall.