Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: MarkCR750 on September 20, 2014, 04:27:29 PM

Title: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on September 20, 2014, 04:27:29 PM
Well I thought things were going a little too smoothly ???, virtually ready for the MOT, but.............. I just fried the loom, the green wire that leads from the regulator rectifier plug and up into the main loom plus the red and white wire that leads to the starter solenoid, both completely trashed with not a lot of insulation left on them!.(quickly hitting the battery isolator I had fitted stopped it getting worse)
You may recall that I said I didn't know much about electrics, well I certainly proved it today!.
I had everything working that's the strange thing, lights indicators, horn the whole lot, all I did today was fit and connect the rear brake light switch, it's not part of the loom that fried (and I had previously jumped that connection with a slave wire just to check that the brake light worked, it did) so I don't think its the cause, I connected the battery to check the brake light switch worked and instantly got lots of smoke!!!!.
Anyway no point crying over spilt milk and instead of trying to repair this loom I want to fit a new one (it was generally in poor condition), does anyone know of a good supplier (hopefully UK)?, I would prefer a new loom rather than salvaged (DK have a salvaged item but it looks trashed, smashed plugs etc).

EDIT, I think I know what I did wrong, I think I may have crossed over the connections when I put the battery on, schoolboy error to say the least, I cant be sure because after flicking the isolator I took the battery off, but I've got an nasty feeling that's what I did, doh!.
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on September 20, 2014, 07:35:20 PM
Marc
Cant remember the differences but I do have a used k6 loom which was on my bike until I found a new one but well usable.
Any good to you?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on September 20, 2014, 08:16:01 PM
Thanks for the offer Bitsa much appreciated but I bought a second hand K7 loom earlier, I read a few posts earlier that said new K7 looms aren't available so I will just take the wires I need from the loom I just bought to repair mine, that said if the loom I have purchased is no good or missing bits I need I will PM you, thanks again.
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: Lobo on September 21, 2014, 01:26:54 AM
Hi Mark,

Yup, it does sound like you've connected the battery the wrong way around... the current has reverse  flowed 'uninterrupted' straight through your rectifier & down to earth. Bad luck...

Unsure of what sort of rectifier you have... but my guess is you'll need to put a new one on the shopping list as well, sorry. (see para 2 in the attached)

Do check it thoroughly though....

Simon
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on September 21, 2014, 09:07:07 AM
Yes I wouldn't be surprised if the reg/rec has gone west too, ironically my putting an isolator switch next to the battery as a fail safe probably had the opposite effect!, ie if it hadn't been there I would probably have got sparks as I tried to connect the terminals, oh well😊, I shall also be painting the pos terminal on the battery red!, I was really pissed off with myself yesterday when I realised what I'd done, then I saw 2 badly injured kids on TV and having to do a bit of remedial work no longer seemed a big issue!, it will teach me not to work when tired though , I had decided not to go for a ride on the XJR cos I felt shattered and worked on the honda instead ,.... onward and upward!
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MCTID on October 01, 2014, 07:28:43 PM
Reminds me of the wise saying of my 'Mentor' when I was an Engineering Apprentice......'The bloke who never made a mistake, never did any work' just put it down to experience and make sure you check and check again in future.

And if its any consolation....we have ALL done it.

Nils carborundum bast*rdum.....
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on October 02, 2014, 08:27:00 PM
Thanks for the loom Bitsa, arrived today great condition and a very fair price, cheers Mark.
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on October 05, 2014, 06:20:14 PM
Replaced the earth cables etc in my loom today, good news everything works again, I revved the bike and read the charge at the battery with my multimeter, it would not go above 14.3 volts, is that the level it should reach? i.e. is the reg/rec working correctly?, cheers Mark.
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on October 05, 2014, 07:26:50 PM
Mark, lights on or off?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: Lynx on October 05, 2014, 08:14:41 PM
At least your bike didn't go up in smoke!  :o
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on October 05, 2014, 09:16:41 PM
Mark, lights on or off?
Cheers
Bitsa
Damn, can't be sure but I think they were off at the time.
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: Lobo on October 06, 2014, 01:47:35 AM
Mark,

Here ya go, all you need. (and your voltage sounds pretty much spot on)

Simon
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on October 06, 2014, 05:33:40 PM
Thanks all, looks as though the reg/rec had a miraculous escape!
Title: Re: OOPS!, new k7 loom required
Post by: MarkCR750 on October 11, 2014, 12:17:17 PM
I don't feel so alone now, a mate of mine was working on his GT550, connected the battery, went into the kitchen to roll a cigarette, walked outside again and thought, "Hmmm, I'd better call the fire brigade!", whole thing went up but luckily the fuel tank wasn't fitted.