Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: bike-pusher on October 02, 2014, 11:06:03 AM

Title: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: bike-pusher on October 02, 2014, 11:06:03 AM
Apologies if this sort of post is frowned on - if it is, I'll delete it.

I have just got back from the chromer six rechromed sets of those finned exhaust manifold rings used to clamp the header pipes in.  These are OE, for the 400 Four, but will obviously fit the CB350 Four, and probably other Honda CBs as well.

DSS quotes £26 + VAT per unit for these, so £124.80 including VAT for a set of four, plus postage.  His aftermarket ones (quality unknown, but like many 'replica' parts they don't look exactly like the originals) work out at £69.60 for a set of four, again plus postage.

They'll be going on the website later today at £70 a set, and on eBay at an SP of £75 a set.  Offered here to forum members at £60 a set, plus a fiver postage, so below 'repro' price. 

Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 02, 2014, 11:55:16 AM
Well I don't know how SteveD feels about it Neil but it sounds spot on to me. Obviously, I don't need any but very fair price to anyone who does.
My take on it is keep offering us parts directly if it's OK with Steve , I am sure there will be grateful  takers.
Just paid my daughters Uni rent for 3 months  BTW .. Ouch .. could have bought a new set  of replica HM300 pipes for that and still have change for a few beers !!

Cheers ... Ash
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: Clem2112 on October 02, 2014, 12:25:38 PM

I had a set re-chromed for my bike.

The castings got a good blasting and polishing so they came back much shinier (esp the fins) than Honda could manage so are probably not "authentic" now - and won't go rusty as quck either.

How's the sprocket coming along !!??
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 02, 2014, 12:42:30 PM

I had a set re-chromed for my bike.

The castings got a good blasting and polishing so they came back much shinier (esp the fins) than Honda could manage so are probably not "authentic" now - and won't go rusty as quck either.

How's the sprocket coming along !!??

What's the re-chroming price for something like this clem? I need a set doing for my 750K0

Cheers .. Ash
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: bike-pusher on October 02, 2014, 12:57:08 PM
As you were - just inspected them and the chromers have (for the first time) screwed up.  Four of te sets have peeling chrome.  Bah.
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 02, 2014, 01:08:26 PM
As you were - just inspected them and the chromers have (for the first time) screwed up.  Four of te sets have peeling chrome.  Bah.

I think they are difficult thinks to chrome Neil, as you can't polish them like other parts because of the blast finish. We could PM RS a chromer on here and ask him to comment. My 400/4 ones were rechromed in 1986 and company long out of business I think.

Cheers .. Ash
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: Clem2112 on October 02, 2014, 02:36:52 PM
Mine were done as part of a job lot - brake lever, spacers, kickstart....
One has a small area of rust now.

I would reckon that these sand? castings will have pososity from new as well as a poor finish making plating a bit hit and miss.
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: bike-pusher on October 02, 2014, 02:39:04 PM
They've been chroming them for me for some years, and this is the first time there's been a problem.
Title: Re: Rechromed exhaust manifold clamps
Post by: Clem2112 on October 02, 2014, 03:53:28 PM
That's plating I guess....
It is kind of science but not an exact one  !