Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Liam on October 05, 2014, 12:47:25 AM

Title: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Liam on October 05, 2014, 12:47:25 AM
Hi Guys, 

Anyone know what the 3 no. threaded "lugs" on the steering-head are for, photo attached… When I was stripping the bike down I didn't really notice them.  I'm thinking of grinding them off as they seem to be surplus to requirements.  The question is, what are they for???
 
Cheers

Liam[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: hairygit on October 05, 2014, 08:27:05 AM
Having owned and seen many 750F1's over the years, I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anything like that. My guess is they were fitted by a previous owner, maybe for a fairing or similar.:o

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Liam on October 05, 2014, 08:38:24 AM
Hi…  I was thinking "fairing" as well Hairy.  I should have mentioned it's a US import.  On the parts schematic it does seem to show them (CMSNL web site).

Nevertheless, I think it'll be safe to get the grinder out!
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Spitfire on October 05, 2014, 09:10:47 AM
Nope, never seen anything like that, the steering lock seems to be missing as well, here's photo of my 76 CB750F1 steering head.

Cheers

Den
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/SteeringheadbearingsFeb003.jpg)
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Liam on October 05, 2014, 10:08:12 AM
Hello spitfire,

Your right…  no steering lock!

That's it then, off they come!

Thanks gents,

Liam
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: hairygit on October 05, 2014, 10:18:10 AM
On U.S. Models the steering lock is integral with the ignition lock, a bar extends from the bottom of the ignition switch and locks against the welded on bracket at the top of the headstock. Don't remove that welded on bit at the top, otherwise you will have no way of locking the steering

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2

Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Liam on October 05, 2014, 10:25:31 AM
Cheers hairy…  noted.
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Lobo on October 06, 2014, 02:08:15 AM
Yea... the (US) steering lock system.... so much 'more refined' than the 2 key fumble-in-the-dark European exports had.

I've asked before, but WHY would Honda go to the additional expense / pain of tooling up / & marketing two completely different systems?

Answers anyone?
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: UK Pete on October 06, 2014, 03:57:05 PM
I cant understand that neither, the us version is by far superior, may be Honda japan thought we like having to crouch down and fumble about trying to get that skinny key in the lock, great fun in the dark and wet,
pete
Title: Re: 76 F1 frame lugs
Post by: Liam on October 06, 2014, 09:55:32 PM
lucky me…    :D  Doesn't happen often!

Anyone recommend a fabricator of bespoke GRP seats…  Or is it time to diversify and fab my own cafe seat!!?