Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: antonypo on October 07, 2014, 10:09:02 PM
-
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB750K4-FOUR-1974-USA/part_105757/
i've heard in the past these are not as good as the originals and fail to work after a while. Has anyone any REAL experience of them?
Unfortunately my originals are dinted in every place you can think of - the chrome , the black outer shrouds and rubbers perished, glass scuffed and dials faded.
it will take a lot of money to refurbish. Is it really worth it?
These certainly look good???
-
I would get a price from CB750faces.com first. A lot of people are doing these Non- original clocks.
-
I would get a price from CB750faces.com first. A lot of people are doing these Non- original clocks.
+1 on that Trig.. I was told by my plastic moulding company friend (who has a pretty big high-tech plastics outfit) in 2011 that it would be nigh on impossible to produce CB750K0 plastic covers in lowish volumes and the Yamiya offerings were hugely expensive and not faithful to the originals. The bidding wars on K0 clocks on eBay with decent plastic covers/lenses was silly but then Marcel (Lecram and a member on here) subsequently produced the faces and covers, jewels etc and they are absolutely spot on. So much so that even the 'Sandcastonly' boys cannot fault them. He could have charged an absolute fortune for them but he sells that at reasonable price and sometimes gives discounts to members. So now, as long as you have a decent mechanism you can have nice looking clocks.
Kent400 on here does a wonderful job of restoring instruments too at very reasonable rates and his ingenuity produces very good results from very beat up original units. Problem is he is called Peter and there is another 'Peter' around who restores instruments but charges a staggering amount for the priveledge !
Cheers ... AshD
-
I Have had 2 sets from DS on both occassions sent them back crap.Cb750 faces not cheap but good.
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I Have had 2 sets from DS on both occassions sent them back crap.Cb750 faces not cheap but good.
Cheers
Bitsa
If you need stuff from Lecram, worth contacting him via this forum. DSS resto Kits are now Lecram's I believe but don't quote me on this. DS ones a very expensive however CW direct sale.
Cheers .. Ash
-
I've taken one of the replica speedometers apart, they are not really very good quality. They are a copy of a Nippon Seiki gauge and nothing like the quality of the ND gauges you probably have now. The reproduction gauges come with the mounting cup and the foam cushion. The mounting cup is stainless steel rather than the original chrome ones. The only parts that will interchange with the originals is the cup and cushion.
Lecam replacement faces are top quality and a very reasonable price when you consider time and investment that's taken place to produce them.
From your post I was unsure in you have plastic or metal bodied gauges, ( my knowledge of which type were fitted to which CB750f model is limited) you mentioned dents in the bodies so I assume they are metal. If they are indeed metal
I have some without damage however they did come in two different sizes the difference is only a few millimetres and you don't notice until you find the band won't slide over the body.
-
mine are original cb 750 k4 clocks and it's a crime to throw them away. I am up for buying parts but reading on this forum in the past, there's more to it than just making them look nice - something inside has to be filled ?????
Any way I would rather get these refurbed then if the copies are crap so i could do with a phone number of someone if you have it but I will visit that cb750faces.com anyway.
Thanks again to all
-
mine are original cb 750 k4 clocks and it's a crime to throw them away. I am up for buying parts but reading on this forum in the past, there's more to it than just making them look nice - something inside has to be filled ?????
Any way I would rather get these refurbed then if the copies are crap so i could do with a phone number of someone if you have it but I will visit that cb750faces.com anyway.
Thanks again to all
You need to speak to Peter Horton on here Kent400 link: http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=701.
If you decide to go ahead with him or even if you go it alone and you get stuck for little bits and pieces , I may be able to help out there as I am a bit of a hoarder and never throw anything away! Lecram is your man for the faces and will tell you how to fill the damper with silicone oil.
Link to Lecram on this site is : http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=1635
Cheers .. Ash
-
I bought a set of k1 clocks reconed by peter bond from London so I was told, anyway whoever did them did not do them well, the face plates were covered rather than replaced and the sealing band is not crimped tight so it moves around, and I fear will let in moisture they do look good though, and I can easily crimped the sealing ring tighter
Aparently the guy I bought them off paid 500 for the work so you would expect better
Lecrams products and workmanship is the best out there I would not hesitate to recomend him
Pete
-
I bought a set of k1 clocks reconed by peter bond from London so I was told, anyway whoever did them did not do them well, the face plates were covered rather than replaced and the sealing band is not crimped tight so it moves around, and I fear will let in moisture they do look good though, and I can easily crimped the sealing ring tighter
Aparently the guy I bought them off paid 500 for the work so you would expect better
Lecrams products and workmanship is the best out there I would not hesitate to recomend him
Pete
PLEASE DON'T CONFUSE THE TWO PETER'S THOUGH... 'OUR PETER' on here, member Kent400 is a top bloke and really does it more as a hobby. He sent me a photo of some plastic CB250K0 clocks he did for a 'customer' and they were spot-on. He probably uses overlays on those though, as they had opaque metal faces on them anyway as standard. I know he has used Lecrams faces for 750 clocks.
Sure he will chip in here anyway.
Cheers .. Ash
-
Don't worry ash I have niot confused the two I am aware people speak highly of the peter on this forun Kent400
Pete
-
Interesting post above from UK Pete, I had a pair of 400f gauges though my hands earlier this year that apparently had been restored by the Peter Bond. Non original aluminum bands secured the bodies to the bases, these bands where fitted over the bases rather than being dropped over the top and folded on the base flange. The bands were then closed up on the top but not to the point where they were touching the painted bodies other than the flange edge. So there was a gap on the top between the band and the painted body.
The red tacho line had been 'touched up' with what looked like a felt tip pen and the internal mechanism still contained the original grease. The bases had been sprayed silver. I suppose they looked 'fresh' but could really only be described as a cosmetic job.
They went back together with original bands, dial face overlays, bases re-zinc plated, and cleaned/ re-lubricated mechanisms.
On another occasion on a Peter Bond restored gauge a dial face screw came out, no thread lock was used when assembled. That's used on original assembly so it seems prudent to use it for re-assembly in my veiw.
-
Interesting post above from UK Pete, I had a pair of 400f gauges though my hands earlier this year that apparently had been restored by the Peter Bond. Non original aluminum bands secured the bodies to the bases, these bands where fitted over the bases rather than being dropped over the top and folded on the base flange. The bands were then closed up on the top but not to the point where they were touching the painted bodies other than the flange edge. So there was a gap on the top between the band and the painted body.
The red tacho line had been 'touched up' with what looked like a felt tip pen and the internal mechanism still contained the original grease. The bases had been sprayed silver. I suppose they looked 'fresh' but could really only be described as a cosmetic job.
They went back together with original bands, dial face overlays, bases re-zinc plated, and cleaned/ re-lubricated mechanisms.
On another occasion on a Peter Bond restored gauge a dial face screw came out, no thread lock was used when a
ssembled. That's used on original assembly so it seems prudent to use it for re-assembly in my veiw.
Yes so I am not the only one to notice some people would be happy with a nice clean looking gauge from this guy but to a serious restorer they would be dissapointing