Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Robbie Honda on October 11, 2014, 09:08:38 PM
-
hi I am about to start on a restoration of a cb750 k5
am looking for nearly all the chrome ware
but before I buy parts I just wanted some advice when searching for parts as this will be a budget restoration not aiming for a show winning bike but a good usable bike
main thing i need is exhausts
mudguards
fork ears
grab rail
what I need to know is from what years will they fit
I think I am right in saying these were the same from 1972 to 1976 or so
just dont want to buy stuff that is not right
thanks in advance for your help
-
K5 was USA only so if you want correct parts you need to go to US ebay but watch out for shipping and imort taxes. Most earlier bits will fit in "sets"
-
Hi Robbie,
No firm help from me, but a few websites of interest perhaps?
http://honda750expert.com
http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0750/four/four.htm
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=112535
(I'm no computer guru, and don't understand why I can't open the thread links within the 3rd above, er, link! But if you then cut'n'paste the thread link into your search engine a VERY nice suite of pics on his K5 rebuild)
And just a thought... on the following website (as many others) if a part fits (eg) K2 through K6 you're probably ok versus just K6 whatever.
http://www.saisei-europe.com/Shop/Products/PageIndex/2
I have a K2, and have been caught out on too many occasions of parts according to frame number, ie there were early K2s that have different calipers / front mudguards to later K2s.
One 'buggeration' factor you'll likely come across are the electrics..earthing changes, stater circuitry, switch wiring / colour / logic changes etc. Bryan / OddJob are the fellas likely to help you here.
You've given yourself a bit if a headache, and good luck.
Simon
-
Most of the parts are interchangeable.The chrome grab ring at the back of the seat is a problem getting rare but you can put k2 rear indicator mounts on instead and have the lift handle as well.
Exhausts and I hope you have won the lottery all the same except the k0 which will fit.Fork ears I have fitted re pros and are OK but you cant beat the originals.Front guard early k2 wont fit stick to k6 providing you have k5 forks and caliper mount.The electrics are different but no big deal.Hope this helps
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Robbie Honda - and here am I breaking a very nice US import K5! Stock except for exhausts.
-
The K3 to K5 are American models, there where quite a few changes to the spec as the model progressed. As previous posts, exhaust/grab should not be a problem.
Some of the later changes - indicators are different (Early Goldwing pattern)/circular passenger foot rests/fuel tap on the LHS/dedicated wiring harness...
Alan
-
Sorry to keep banging on about this but download my link and scroll down to the 750 Honda parts books. First one is CB750 K3,K4,K5 second is CB750 (K0), K1,K2. This will give you all of the info on model changes/regional differences etc.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/anpzqn2r55f1o9k/CB750%20Mega%20Parts%20Service%20and%20More.pdf?dl=0
Cheers ... AshD
-
Handy service document Ash, but it does not make reference to all the modifications (K3-K4-K5) as they where introduced to the market.
Mark Paris (Honda Man) 'My CB750 book' explains in great detail the reasons for all the technical changes.
For the cosmetic changes 'Hayes Great Bike Honda CB750' has very good colour photographs of all the models and modifications as they where implemented.
Alan
-
Handy service document Ash, but it does not make reference to all the modifications (K3-K4-K5) as they where introduced to the market.
Mark Paris (Honda Man) 'My CB750 book' explains in great detail the reasons for all the technical changes.
For the cosmetic changes 'Hayes Great Bike Honda CB750' has very good colour photographs of all the models and modifications as they where implemented.
Alan
Yes you are probably right Alan, I have used the K0--K1 one myself and it is pretty good but never had a K2--K5 and never likely to now. Not got round to buying Mark's book yet. that PDF is a godsend to me though, only wish there was one for the 400/4. Pretty well sorted on parts info for the 250/350K0 K1. Some very subtle detail changes on the CB250SS (K0) though like large No8 bolts (aka sandcast /K0 750) and acorn nut mirrors etc.
cheers ... Ash
Plus for the K0 there are so many real experts out there they probably know more than anything that's been published.