Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: JustcallmeMrT on October 31, 2014, 03:44:32 PM
-
I've been tinkering away and have managed to tear down the bike completely. This is the final photo with the engine still in.
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/31/d610527ffa27f804f1277ff200fe78eb.jpg)
Got a replacement engine with only 4500 miles and in excellent nick.
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/31/44402a8476f5305cf2d5322c3e20ab9c.jpg)
Forks are disassembled and tubes ready to go for a rechrome.
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/31/44462021fcba36ca3a58960ecb2b70d3.jpg)
Decided to take the dremel for a spin today and see what I could do...
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/31/0d6216a85240a9ed6bc7235c5f5a2c36.jpg)
Not bad for a first try. With some different grits of polishing compound I should get close to a mirror finish.
Still a million and one things to do, but some progress feels nice so I thought I'd share.
-
Sound like you have the 4 bug ;D Its the same for all of us when we finish a bit and stand back and look you get the boost to do the next bit.My biggest frustration and all ways has been waiting on bits that you have sent off for various things.
Best of luck
Bitsa
-
So now you have a (nearly) new engine you no longer need to strip the old one (I think you were musing, or was that someone else?), you can drop that straight in?
-
So now you have a (nearly) new engine you no longer need to strip the old one (I think you were musing, or was that someone else?), you can drop that straight in?
That's right, should drop straight in, just needs an oil change. Saves me stripping that other one and doing all the bearings and seals.
-
Do you know where I can get extra polishing bits for my Dremel? I can't seem to find any individual ones only packs of loads of bits, most of which I won't use.
-
Place by me had a huge display case of them, not looked recently but try Charlies stores online or ebay of course. I bought a selection set from Lidl, the other week, you get a lot more bits for £5. I am afraid my dremel died years ago,I now have a cheap version made by blackspur of all brands yet it was a fraction of the cost of a dremel and has done way more work. I recon you could buy the selection sets, remove the polishing bits and sell on the rest and it cost you less than genuine individual dremel bits. Needs costing up though as I haven't bought anything other than lidl cheap bits in years.
-
If like me, you like the fact that a Dremel (or for that matter, any tool similar in use to be called a "Dremel" ) can get into areas that a polishing mop can't then I can recommend buying the new SpeedClic system. There are 3 sanding flap wheels of varying grades which are fantastic, very very quick to change between them, literally seconds, they also have a proper polishing mop attachment, unlike those very poor bits of fluff which you screw onto what is basically a shortened self tapper. The system is not cheap but if you shop around you can buy each attachment for a LOT less than the price B&Q sell them for.
For me, the SpeedClic system is what Dremel should have used right from the start, just a brilliant piece of kit.
Oddjob have you got any photo / visual examples of where / how you've used the speedclick attachments with success??
-
Polishings looking great. Just done my 750 cases so know how hard it is. Top job.