Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: simonster on November 03, 2014, 10:13:16 PM

Title: 500 k1 carb o ring replacement frustrations
Post by: simonster on November 03, 2014, 10:13:16 PM
I have split the carb rack to delve into the crusty interior of some very sad looking units. The float chamber and top gaskets are good but the o rings on the seat valve and main jet have disintegrated and those on the t fuel hose joint have hardened. I don't need a carb repair kit from DS or a full gasket kit really just the o rings. I can use an 8 mm x 2 mm on the t joint (  parts book says 7.8 x 1.9 ) but the o rings for s v is 5.7 x 1.3 and m j  is 4.2 x 1.1  and standard o rings are 1/1.5/2 mm etc and 1.5 mm is just too heavy thickness to seat inside the chamber. Any advice on where to buy these individually rather than buying the full carb seal kit. I hate replacing anything that can be reused but will fall on the sword if necessary, so should I lose the cash or is there an alternative spending minimum £45?
Title: Re: 500 k1 carb o ring replacement frustrations
Post by: Trigger on November 03, 2014, 10:17:55 PM
The Dutch guy does the full O'ring kit Cheap>  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB500-CB550-4-Four-carb-revision-O-ring-set-VITON-rubber-for-4-carbs-/111480141931?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19f4bbf86b
Title: Re: 500 k1 carb o ring replacement frustrations
Post by: simonster on November 03, 2014, 10:50:25 PM
Thankyou Trigger, just ordered the o ring set £17.50 for four sets plus float chamber gaskets and at that price I don't mind splashing the cash.
Title: Re: 500 k1 carb o ring replacement frustrations
Post by: Trigger on November 03, 2014, 10:53:05 PM
When you put the o'ring's in use a bit of Vaseline. Not joking.