Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ManicGTI on November 06, 2014, 04:49:31 PM

Title: CB400F - Rear tank mount
Post by: ManicGTI on November 06, 2014, 04:49:31 PM
Hi guys, it's my first post (after intro thread! so go gentle ;)

For ref, the bike is a 1976 CB400F.

Does anyone have any, or can take, some detailed pictures of the rear tank mount/clamp arrangement?

The bike came with the Tank, but loose, with no Seat unit, Rear mudguard etc.

I haven't settled on a definite plan yet but I'm considering making a custom seat unit for it.  Before I do that I want to understand how the OEM set-up clamps the rear of the tank so I can either replicate it, or come up with something else.

It's not clear from this at all:
(http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cb400f-super-sport-400-four-k0-1975-usa-fuel-tankseat_bighu0235f7006_1a74.gif)

And the seat pan itself doesn't appear to have any specific mouldings or features?
(http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTIzWDEyMDA=/z/z5EAAOxy8HlScspV/$(KGrHqRHJ!4FJugTdIYZBScspUHdm!~~60_57.JPG)

Thanks,

David
Title: Re: CB400F - Rear tank mount
Post by: Trigger on November 06, 2014, 04:59:31 PM
You should have two hooks on the frame and rubber which is number 19 in your picture.
Title: Re: CB400F - Rear tank mount
Post by: Dan on November 06, 2014, 05:43:56 PM
Yes, as above, the tank rubber (part 19) slides onto the flat tabs on the frame then the rubber strap is stretched over the flat tab at the rear of the tank. The tank rubber is available From David Silver if you don't have it.
Title: Re: CB400F - Rear tank mount
Post by: Clem2112 on November 06, 2014, 06:13:59 PM
Have an as new replica seat with plastic base if required !
Title: Re: CB400F - Rear tank mount
Post by: ManicGTI on November 07, 2014, 10:06:14 AM
Ahh ok!  So I already have the Rubber piece in place on the frame, I hadn't realised that this stretched over the tab to hold it in place.

Brilliant, thanks guys.  I've been searching online and I failed to find any images of this arrangement actually in use, most pictures are of the tank just sitting on top of the rubber.