Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Drew400 on November 15, 2014, 03:11:15 PM

Title: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: Drew400 on November 15, 2014, 03:11:15 PM
Hello experts,

The engine is back together and the barrels, head etc. are fitted (see picture).

I attached the kickstart lever to see what happens when moved by hand. All that happens is the clutch centre shaft rotates. Should it not also turn the crankshaft and the pistons?

I'm hoping with fingers crossed that the clutch etc has to be in place to make this all work, rather than I have cocked something else up and have to dismantle the whole thing again for the umpteenth time!

Thank you (in worried but hopeful anticipation).

D.
Title: Re: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: paul G on November 15, 2014, 04:14:09 PM
Drew,

As far as I can remember yes the clutch etc needs to be assembled.
Regards,
Title: Re: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: Drew400 on November 15, 2014, 04:21:45 PM
Ta, Paul.

Hope rises.

Cheers, D.
Title: Re: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: Lobo on November 16, 2014, 06:44:44 AM
Hi Drew,

A description from the 750K2 manual... I think fairly similar to the 400F 'workings'... Bryan, OddJob etc to correct me if wrong.

Simon

Title: Re: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: tom400f on November 16, 2014, 09:09:28 AM
Drew,

The gist of it is that the kick start drives the engine back through the clutch.

Cheers
Tom
Title: Re: Should the kickstarter work at this stage of the rebuild?
Post by: Drew400 on November 16, 2014, 09:21:40 AM
Thank you all again.

I'll continue rebuilding with renewed confidence!

Cheers, D.