Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: D.Dibbley on November 23, 2014, 04:27:57 PM

Title: new member in cheshire
Post by: D.Dibbley on November 23, 2014, 04:27:57 PM

Hi I'm Wayne. l'm building a Honda cb550f chop. I was looking for a donor bike for a project for a while, when one appeared on E Bay. Just recently managed to clear some space in my garage to start playing. So hopefully I get some time to start putting it together. I'll post some pictures as I go. Hopefully there should be enough information or experience to get me though any problems.
Title: Re: new member in cheshire
Post by: hairygit on November 23, 2014, 04:42:18 PM
Hi Wayne, and welcome. If you are removing standard parts to replace with other bits (clocks etc) don't forget to offer them for sale on here, some of the guys on here have been hunting for 550 bits for some time!:))
Title: Re: new member in cheshire
Post by: Trigger on November 23, 2014, 07:55:16 PM
welcome Wayne. Chopper, not my cup of tea but, i do have a crazy mate that will only ride hard tails. Most be something in it.
Title: Re: new member in cheshire
Post by: Green1 on November 23, 2014, 08:03:30 PM
Welcome from me to.

Only one crazy mate Trig  ;)

Mick

Title: Re: new member in cheshire
Post by: matthewmosse on November 23, 2014, 09:48:39 PM
Hi, I once had a cb550 chop project, never put it on the road, wasn't my welding on the frame and found one too many problems to truly belive the welding was really up to it - like it wasn't streight. I do vaugely plan to build one up in the future but after reading up on the rules will not be bothering with a doner bike but will be doing a scratch built frame and msva instead. I still have a few bits like the 4 into1 slash cut exhaust and a rear wheel re laced with a 15 inch custom rim floating around somplace. I built mine up in a caravan - no shed back then, then found it was too long to get out the door, but the caravan was so rotten I rode it through the front wall instead. There are some nice cb550 based customs out there, the engines do look good in that kind of bike. Mine was frankly rubbish and no photos exist thankfully.
If I ever get around to building one I'd be tempted to build a hardtail with a sidecar with little or no suspension to go with it. 
Title: Re: new member in cheshire
Post by: mickwinf on November 23, 2014, 10:50:25 PM
welcome and good luck with your chopper project