Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: JustcallmeMrT on December 08, 2014, 08:19:22 PM
-
Hi guys, spending time dreaming about the finished bike, and trying to decide what type of bars to go for. Having never ridden before, I've no clue what is safe, comfortable, etc, but would like a style that is lower than the bars that came with the bike.
I'm 6'2" so sitting on the bike in stock configuration, the pegs just didn't feel right - I seemed to want my toes where my heels should have been. So I've already decided rearsets are in my future. I'm sure this will make a difference to my bar position, so figured I'd mention it.
So far I like a lot of the bikes that are running clip on bars, but I'm concerned about overall riding comfort - I do hope to out some miles on! Do people find them comfortable?
I've also looked at drag bars, but they just don't seem to fit the overall style.
Started thinking about clubman bars, but was again concerned about the comfort factor. Then came across these on ebay... don't have a drop, so still relatively high, and because of the shape, it might push the hand position a bit further forward, which seems like it would help with my height.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=361105677292&alt=web
All of this comes from a total lack of experience, so it's over to you guys. What do you think? What would you do?
-
MrT
I am not as tall as you not far off but in my opinion the high bars that Honda used are perfect for me.With those I sit bolt up right do not get back ache and as for handling I feel these make me feel in control.I have also have had the standard low bars but made me feel as if I was towering over the clocks.Like you said opinions please so that is my view and I am sure there will be fores and against.I can not or ever could deal with clip ons etc
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I have a standard UK 500-4
the bars are lower than the US ones,at times the footrests seem to far forward,
all in all,the combined arrangment give me good leverage to control the bike,either slow or fast,and twisty bumpy roads,
I suggest you use standard for a few thousand miles till you get really used to it,then play around,
-
It depends on may things. High bars mean longer throttle cables, brake line.
Not sure what they came with.
-
Hi of possible mock some up..
I often work with 20mm conduit and have a pipe bender for work so I've often played around with different bar set ups?..
try with a straight bar first any pipe of a similar diameter will do even chop up an old broom handle.....just give it a whirl ..personally I like straight bars and have always found them comfortable ...Norton done a nice set with a very shallow sweep on them
My clip ons on my avatar bike are not to bad but after a couple of hours I do get it in my lower back....
I'm 41 now and I'm sure it's not going to get any better
-
The bikes I have put the most milage on and enjoyed the most both had what I think were slightly higher than standard bars, though I always bought standard cables without issues. I would stick with stock, see how you get on ,they are rather easy to change at a later date. What I found comfortable might not suit someone taller. You can achieve a lot just by altering the angle they are clamped at.
-
Thanks for the input gents, I like the idea of doing a mockup with some pvc pipe, that'll at least give me a bit of a feel before I buy something... though Lord knows I'm a ways from that point.
-
I am a little concerned with the phrase "Having never ridden before,"
that is why I advised going with standard,
-
I am a little concerned with the phrase "Having never ridden before,"
that is why I advised going with standard,
I agree with Johnwebley on this one, as you havn't ridden before I would go with bog standard bars. Learn how to handle the bike properly first and then swap around if you still fancy it. Also, having not ridden a bike before, how will you know if its handling / steering right if you go away from the standard. I've tried all the different ones on different bikes over the past 35 years and even though comfort is important, it's what you feel through the bars that is more important to me.
-
Every time I see a picture of our lovely bikes equipped with the higher US handlebars, I'm shocked. How could Honda equip a perfect riding machine with this silly sit up and beg bars? They simply cannot offer the correct riding position, period. Here's my guess: it is as Honda knew there was an extra market to have: people that have enough money to buy a new toy but are afraid of riding. This in a market where a licence to ride a motorcycle is very easy/cheap to get. Maybe Honda estimated there were a lot of big belly's too, I don't know. Unless you have a fat belly (why not have a chopper?) every one should have the lower bars, for better control and THUS safety.
Decades ago I've removed the rubber of the pegs to gain an extra cm or two for my legs. No need to be afraid: not once did my feet slip of the metal pegs, not even when I was standing on them in terrain.
The best you can do to your bike (and yourself) is making the bike fit well.
-
Not that I give a figgin if it's original Honda or not but I think I've had a couple of cb550 or 500 with higher than standard bars, done over 100,000 miles on the one, with a sidecar. Controll was fine, I'm 5'6" or so and built like a light breeze. They in my opinion give a bit more in the way of options of varying where the bars sit. I work sometimes with someone who does guided trail bike rides on green lanes, they offer bike hire as an additional to theguided tour, first thing they did on getting some brand new Hondas was change the bars for higher ones, this is because they found beginners found that easier and their bikes got dropped less as a result. It is so easy to swap and change and if you carry the right tools it can be adjusted on your ride out that on my first bike I was fine with adapting it. My over 125 bike was actually a cb550 with silly ape bars, all the chrome re painted gold to hide the rust. Only issues were the engine, the sily ape bars were fine. No controll issues at all. Just sit on the bike, try the bars for confort at every steering angle, take your time fitting them right and tight, and be prepared to adjust them.
-
I'm also 6'2'' and prefer the higher bars. I have ridden a CB 750 K6 with lower bars and my K4 with higher bars, both handle fine, but the higher bars provide a better comfort when riding normally
Alan
-
I find the high bars make the bike more nimble around town but you do sit up a bit more so 80+mph can get a bit tiring.
Not that that's a bad thing it probably saved my licence more than once.
Mick
-
Agreed with big Al and Green 1 cos it gets windy dont go so fast not that I know is there a need to get any where fast?
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Agreed with big Al and Green 1 cos it gets windy dont go so fast not that I know is there a need to get any where fast?
Cheers
Bitsa
Only to the pub if i am buying ;)
-
Trig
If your buying frac the bike will get a helicopter to be there ;) ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
-
I have always prefered the us high style bars on these old honda's, it is a more relaxed riding position
pete
-
Agree Pete spot on
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Funny you should say that Pete on my last ride out I found my self plodding along looking at the scenery.
Mick
-
Funny you should say that Pete on my last ride out I found my self plodding along looking at the scenery.
Mick
Mick, that 20 year old blonde does not class as scenery ;D
-
Nor any other colour mate but know what you mean
Cheers
Bitsa
-
19 :P
Mick
-
;D ;D ;D or have I got it wrong?
Cheers
Bitsa