Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: born to be mild on December 14, 2014, 08:28:08 PM

Title: Clacking noise
Post by: born to be mild on December 14, 2014, 08:28:08 PM
Hi All,
 I've noticed my new to me F2 makes a pronounced loud clicking noise from the cyl head, left hand side when I first start up which diminishes and then dies away when the engine is warmed up, any thoughts?   Im thinking a valve clearance too large which I will check when time allows. I've only done 100 miles on the bike and already experienced one cylinder temporarily going down mid trip for a few miles on the ride home from the previous owners house, but thats probably unrelated. I did notice it ticking when I bought the bike but rather stupidly let it go when it died down at the PO's house. The bike starts up a treat so its hard to imagine its poor valve clearances but its a regular ,rhythmic click rather than intermittant . Answers on a postcard please !
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 14, 2014, 08:32:20 PM
What type of postcard mate?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Trigger on December 14, 2014, 08:34:16 PM
Too cold for post cards. Not sure what a Clacking noise is. Is that the same sound a chicken makes? Tappets are a tapping noise and do go quite when warm as the gap closes due to heat.
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 14, 2014, 08:37:24 PM
I have all ways referred to clacking as a loose cam chain is that your case?
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Trigger on December 14, 2014, 08:39:43 PM
Loose cam chains do not go quite if worn too much. Hold on i will get my crystal ball out Bitsa ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 14, 2014, 08:48:45 PM
Trig
Heard your a bit of a wizard or is that a witch mate ;) ;D ;D No they do not go quiet even when friggin red hot
Brill
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: hairygit on December 14, 2014, 10:02:51 PM
Always worth trying a GENTLE tightening of the exhaust clamp nuts at the head, if there is a tiny blow there it can be quite concerning, triggering all sorts of bad thoughts, and as things heat up and expand and the joint seals itself again and the noise stops. If it works, consider getting new exhaust gasket rings, they're cheap enough.:))
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: born to be mild on December 14, 2014, 10:26:57 PM
Trigger, you're thinking of clucking ref the chickens, poultry related or not it seems like just one cylinder is affected and as it seems to occur with one of the cylinders firing so not sure its one of the chains Bitsa but I could easily be wrong. hairy, I will torque the exhaust clamps up a little but to me its as though something is sticking until it warms up but the engine runs fine and starts absolutely on the button.
Thanks for your thoughts all and any further suggestions are welcome!
Confused of Lincoln
Title: Re: Clacking noise
Post by: Lynx on December 15, 2014, 11:05:38 AM
Could be an exhaust port leak.