Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Trigger on December 16, 2014, 04:52:00 PM

Title: Parcel force
Post by: Trigger on December 16, 2014, 04:52:00 PM
The modern highway men are at it again. Ordered a couple of parts from Japan that i left off the original order. Got a love letter from Parcel Force informing me that they had hi-jacked the parcel because it had attracted Import Vat of 0.48p and they put a charge of £13.50 to collect on behalf of HMRC.
This time i went with a solicitor to argue the point the the cost of the parts were under the threshold at time of payment. And as the solicitor pointed out, if someone is charging VAT. Then that person or company must give a receipt displaying the amount of VAT charged and a VAT number. This is something that Parcel Force never give, as they say that they are collecting the VAT on behalf of HMRC.
The solicitor had calculated that they had worked out the Import VAT at time of arrival. Not time of payment.
Well, we were escorted from the premises and told to take the argument up with HMRC. That is what i call customer service >:(   
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: matthewmosse on December 16, 2014, 05:06:09 PM
Swine. I would boycott them, only I cannot afford to use them, and you don't get the option to boycott who the sender uses. What a pain. Probably not worth the effort of small claims but robbing barstewards.
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: hairygit on December 16, 2014, 05:40:48 PM
This was subject of discussion a couple of days back I seem to recall. Told you parcel farce were robin b'stards. And you really are a loony if you think you can get one up on HMRC C:-)
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on December 16, 2014, 05:57:56 PM
I've had a number of parcels retained by 'Parcel force' with the 'import duty now due' stuck on the box, I've paid the amount and not thought much about it, but:-

 If they are collecting vat they should issue a vat invoice with the registration number
(I have attached a copy of a delivery early in the year, very small vat number at the bottom)

 I will agree that 'Parcel force' are a bit hit & miss with the paperwork, but they never forget to collect the £13.50 Clearance fee...




 
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: Trigger on December 16, 2014, 06:18:18 PM
I've had a number of parcels retained by 'Parcel force' with the 'import duty now due' stuck on the box, I've paid the amount and not thought much about it, but:-

 If they are collecting vat they should issue a vat invoice with the registration number
(I have attached a copy of a delivery early in the year, very small vat number at the bottom)

 I will agree that 'Parcel force' are a bit hit & miss with the paperwork, but they never forget to collect the £13.50 Clearance fee...

 This one of the points put forwards. The paper work sent for collection is a bill and not a receipt. You will get the receipt once you pay by card and that does not have the VAT number. I have loads of these and my accountant has returned them saying, this is not a VAT receipt. It is a invoice showing a VAT number.
Red tape and lip service. 
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: UK Pete on December 16, 2014, 06:35:23 PM
It is so frustrating, and there is nothing you can do about it, its making me angry just reading about it
pete
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: Trigger on December 16, 2014, 06:45:50 PM
It is so frustrating, and there is nothing you can do about it, its making me angry just reading about it
pete

Don't get angry with it Pete. I think that is a funny that HMRC are questioning why i have not put in VAT receipts from HMRC  ;D 
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: Green1 on December 16, 2014, 07:00:52 PM
I have just been talking to a customer about this and he never pays the clearance fees just the VAT
He tells them this fee is illegal as he is never offered the chance to pay the duty himself.
If the kick up then he waves his phone around saying he will call the police and report the parcel stolen.

Mick
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 16, 2014, 07:07:17 PM
Hi Fellas
Interesting reading but I recall in the old days about duty free up to 200 quid I remember so all parcels from the states providing they are under this should be exempt.It still seems to hold here in France so the customs are ripping you all off.Just ordered 70 quids worth from the states will let you know if I have to pay customs never have before except on one occasion when it was over 200 quid
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: Bryanj on December 17, 2014, 06:58:23 AM
UK went down to about £35 a few years back
Title: Re: Parcel force
Post by: hairygit on December 17, 2014, 07:12:13 AM
UK went down to about £35 a few years back
If you check hmrc website, goods coming by post from outside the eu are liable to import duty if the value exceeds £15.00, and if it does, you get charged import duty, AND v.a.t. on the item value AND the postal cost, and then parcel farce stick their charge on top>:(