Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on December 31, 2014, 05:55:17 PM

Title: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on December 31, 2014, 05:55:17 PM
Hi Chaps
I've taken the exhaust system off as need to clean up those frilly clamps, where the pipes go in to the head I can see a fair amount of carbon, mainly at the lower side but probably no more than I would expect. Should I clean the carbon out that I can see or just leave it?. Also should i put new gaskets in when I put the pipes back on even though the one's there don't look too bad.

Ta in advance
Julie
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: hairygit on December 31, 2014, 06:24:47 PM
I'd scrape out what carbon I could reach while the pipes are off, and trying to re use old exhayst gaskets is asking for spitting and blowing from the head, and popping on the overrun. New gaskets are cheap compared to the aggro of taking it all off again if they leak, and then people try to tighten them up further than they should, and break a stud :o
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on December 31, 2014, 06:35:29 PM
Does it matter if a bit of carbon goes down into the workings ?
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: hairygit on December 31, 2014, 06:43:03 PM
Stuff a bit of rag in each port, that will stop anything getting inside ;D
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on December 31, 2014, 06:54:23 PM
Thank you  :-*
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Clem2112 on December 31, 2014, 08:36:12 PM
I would leave the deposits as is.... Will build up again !

The seals may be ok ..... If they have clean contact faces and show no sign of leakage they should work. I used to leave them in anyway, never had a problem. If a new set of headers were going on then new seals of course. Ones I have removed often look ok.
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Green1 on December 31, 2014, 08:39:48 PM
You can heat the copper gaskets with a torch so they expand I do the same with sump plug washers never had to replace one yet.

Mick
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 31, 2014, 08:44:14 PM
Mick
You cheapskate have heard of that but never tried it will from now on cos you said it first ;) ;)
Cheers
Ralph
Have a nightcap on me mate
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Green1 on December 31, 2014, 08:57:35 PM
Forgot to mention I quench them after to make them nice and shinny.

Mick
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Clem2112 on December 31, 2014, 10:04:21 PM
Copper washers can be annealed for re-use.........but these exhaust seals are a rolled steel and fibre type for very high exhaust temperatures.

Happy new year !
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Bryanj on January 01, 2015, 01:31:58 PM
even the copper ones have a fibre filling so can't be anealed---also the sump plug washer is ally so heat tp red just gets you a lump of yeuk
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Green1 on January 01, 2015, 01:43:01 PM
Iv always used copper washers
Maybe I was lucky then because no:1 pipe leaked I heated the gasket and it seems to have stopped.

Mick 
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 01, 2015, 03:01:29 PM
With the gaskets still in situ I must say I can't see any copper at all, only what appears to be fibre. I will take them out later and have a closer look but have decided to fit new ones anyway

Regards
Julie
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: hairygit on January 01, 2015, 03:19:20 PM
Depending on the age of the gaskets when fitted, there's a very high chance that the fibres you're seeing are asbestos, so bw especially carefull getting them out as you know how harmful the dust can be:'(
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 01, 2015, 04:16:46 PM
Depending on the age of the gaskets when fitted, there's a very high chance that the fibres you're seeing are asbestos, so bw especially carefull getting them out as you know how harmful the dust can be:'(

You were right Hairy. Just happend to have some surgical masks at home so put 1 of them on and gaskets straight into a bag and tied, I don't think I will come to any harm with that small amount and they came out without breaking. Thanks for that.

Julie
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 01, 2015, 05:13:08 PM
Should I get brass or alloy gaskets ? ::)
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Trigger on January 01, 2015, 05:50:07 PM
Should I get brass or alloy gaskets ? ::)

Not brass, copper ;)
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 01, 2015, 05:53:18 PM
Ooops, looked like brass to me  :o
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Trigger on January 01, 2015, 06:01:29 PM
Ooops, looked like brass to me  :o

Use what ever comes free but, i use the copper on the 400's  ;)
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: taysidedragon on January 02, 2015, 01:49:02 PM
When I cleaned up the exhaust ports on my 400's head I prised out the old gaskets only to find a second set of gaskets underneath!

The exhaust gaskets are crushable to form a seal, so you should use new ones each time.

Sump washers in alloy or copper are just plain washers so can be annealed to soften them for re-use. Don't heat them to red hot though, they're not mild steel. Just heat them up and quench in cold water. Dry off and ready to go.  :)
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Clem2112 on January 02, 2015, 02:51:29 PM
18291028306 is the genuine Honda item for £3 each from DSS.
These stay put when placed in position as they are the right diameter.
Makes refitting the pipes less tedious as they don't go wakkabout !
Title: Re: Exhaust carbon build up
Post by: Lynx on January 03, 2015, 09:18:09 AM
You should always use new exhaust port gaskets. I've seen 2 in each port before too but at the low cost, it's just not worth it. I'd scrape out any carbon you can as it's only going to get worse.