Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: kendo57 on December 31, 2014, 07:27:24 PM

Title: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on December 31, 2014, 07:27:24 PM
Friend of mine has a K4 CB750 he wants to sell.
The bike is unrestored original and looks in vgc for its age.
It has a genuine four into four exhaust fitted, period Lester cast wheels,
engine guards and rack fitted.
The owner is now in his 80,s and finds it too heavy.
Any idea on the price he should ask would be appreciated.

Thanks
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on December 31, 2014, 07:31:16 PM
Need to see a picture, mileage and is it a USA K4 or a UK 1974 K2 ? 
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: JamesH on December 31, 2014, 07:38:06 PM
Yep as Graham says, condition, mileage, origin and originality are key....post some pics up so we can advise
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 31, 2014, 07:38:29 PM
Agree with Trig and james,if its a UK k2 dont suppose its reg is GKN 115N? ;)
Ever hopefull
Bitsa
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on December 31, 2014, 07:47:16 PM
Agree with Trig and james,if its a UK k2 dont suppose its reg is GKN 115N? ;)
Ever hopefull
Bitsa

I thought i had that one Bitsa but, it is GAY 149N :'( Had a few bikes with GKN.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 31, 2014, 07:52:58 PM
 ;D ;D ;D
No way would I have owned that one Trig but my old one had lester wheels on it thats why it stirred me
Any way wish you all the normalities with tonights stuff ;) ;)
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on December 31, 2014, 07:57:32 PM
Friend of mine has a K4 CB750 he wants to sell.
The bike is unrestored original and looks in vgc for its age.
It has a genuine four into four exhaust fitted, period Lester cast wheels,
engine guards and rack fitted.
The owner is now in his 80,s and finds it too heavy.
Any idea on the price he should ask would be appreciated.

Thanks

Need to see the underside of the seat and underside of the exhausts.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on December 31, 2014, 08:15:01 PM
OK, I can get some pictures but probably not till next week.
I do not know the reg but he bought it from the  Motorcycle Centre
in Stockport .
I will update the post when I get some pictures.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on December 31, 2014, 08:37:49 PM
Christ sake Trig go and look mate you dont drink or watch tele so what else do you get up to apart from running around the world? ;) ;)
All the best
Bitsa
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on January 08, 2015, 04:32:36 PM
OK a few pictures, not the best but the access to the bike was not the best.

(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000958Medium_zps537bfe7c.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000958Medium_zps537bfe7c.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000967Medium_zps89d683b9.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000967Medium_zps89d683b9.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000966Medium_zpsf15a4137.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000966Medium_zpsf15a4137.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000963Medium_zps8e85f9fd.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000963Medium_zps8e85f9fd.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000965Medium_zps197fe6f9.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000965Medium_zps197fe6f9.jpg.html)
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on January 08, 2015, 04:33:51 PM
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000961Medium_zps399bc325.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000961Medium_zps399bc325.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000964Medium_zps2d466a9b.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000964Medium_zps2d466a9b.jpg.html)
(http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/kendo57/P1000959Medium_zpsb2e78f8e.jpg) (http://s232.photobucket.com/user/kendo57/media/P1000959Medium_zpsb2e78f8e.jpg.html)
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 08, 2015, 04:53:56 PM
Mmm...   Lester wheels.


Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: martin_uk on January 08, 2015, 05:12:46 PM
Looks well cared for, maybe I could squeeze another bike in garage :)
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on January 08, 2015, 06:17:59 PM
As Trig mentioned, I think you have a UK K2 (1974 reg?) possibly worth more than a USA K4, but I would have no idea of the price for the machine

Attached photo my USA K4
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 08, 2015, 06:49:11 PM
Definatley a k2, rhino horn etc and with lester wheels as Steve said.Its worth a mint to someone
Best of luck
Bitsa
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on January 08, 2015, 07:27:36 PM
Thanks but a ball park figure would help. I suppose he could just put it on
EBay and let it find its own price but would still need a reserve.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 07:50:32 PM
Interesting ! I hate saying this but, would be worth more money in parts. Lester wheels can be worth a bit to cafe boy's. I hate to see them on a original bike myself.
I would like to see the VIN and Engine numbers, as it has a black engine. This could be just a paint job but, also could of had a replacement with a 750F2.
Everything else points to a CB750 K2 UK 1974. The seat cover is wrong and the pan is K3, K4 ect. Handle bars are correct for a UK unit and has the early type forks.
The last fully resorted K2 UK 1974 sold for £7,000, it was mint though. This one would be down to the right numbers amount of owners ect,ect.   
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 08:10:21 PM
Thanks but a ball park figure would help. I suppose he could just put it on
EBay and let it find its own price but would still need a reserve.

Not really the time of year to sell.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on January 08, 2015, 08:14:26 PM
Thanks trigger, that's interesting as I seem to remember him saying something
about the engine number not looking right a few years ago. I will get the numbers
and look into it a bit more I think.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 08:16:53 PM
Thanks trigger, that's interesting as I seem to remember him saying something
about the engine number not looking right a few years ago. I will get the numbers
and look into it a bit more I think.

It can make a big difference to the final price on what it is worth.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: UK Pete on January 08, 2015, 08:41:25 PM
Yes original ones are 4.5k upwards, i have seen non original as low as 1500, april / may seems to a good time to sell
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: kendo57 on January 10, 2015, 11:24:04 AM
Hi,
       chassis number  CB750 2085105
       Engine number  CB750 E225778Z

Had a look on the main site and seems to be a K2 with a K3 engine if I
have read it right.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on January 10, 2015, 01:13:51 PM
You are correct with the numbers, also the  cylinder head finning on the K3 (on-wards) had a centrally placed pillar. (3 pillars in total) the previous models had 4 pillars

Alan
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 10, 2015, 02:09:35 PM
You are correct with the numbers, also the  cylinder head finning on the K3 (on-wards) had a centrally placed pillar. (3 pillars in total) the previous models had 4 pillars

Alan

The numbers are a little too far apart. I have seen 3 vertical bracing's on many K2's 1972 and even have seen 3 on a K1 that hadn't been disturbed. Does the engine number finish in a Z or a 2 ?
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: JamesH on January 10, 2015, 03:23:56 PM
You are correct with the numbers, also the  cylinder head finning on the K3 (on-wards) had a centrally placed pillar. (3 pillars in total) the previous models had 4 pillars

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm pretty sure the cylinder head fin detail change was introduce from K4 onwards. Every K3 I've owned (4 so far) has had the earlier style reinforcement (i.e. 4 not 3).

In terms of value, I'd say about £3500 on this example.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 10, 2015, 03:39:53 PM
You are correct with the numbers, also the  cylinder head finning on the K3 (on-wards) had a centrally placed pillar. (3 pillars in total) the previous models had 4 pillars

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm pretty sure the cylinder head fin detail change was introduce from K4 onwards. Every K3 I've owned (4 so far) has had the earlier style reinforcement (i.e. 4 not 3).

In terms of value, I'd say about £3500 on this example.

The strange thing here James is if it was one of your bikes, you would be looking at a age related plate for 1972 on that frame number. £3,500 i had down as in parts.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: JamesH on January 10, 2015, 03:52:35 PM
For me it's the indicated mileage, non-standard wheels (even though they're lesters which are a nice wheel), and the fact it has a later K3 engine which would (for me) make it a lower value proposition compared to an original matching numbers bike. That said, I'm a stickler for original bikes. I'm not knocking the bike at all - could be a fantastic example, but is difficult to tell from the photos.

Would be great to see it out in daylight, with the tank protector off and decent shots showing the true cosmetic condition (especially of the exhausts).

James.

Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 10, 2015, 04:18:18 PM
For me it's the indicated mileage, non-standard wheels (even though they're lesters which are a nice wheel), and the fact it has a later K3 engine which would (for me) make it a lower value proposition compared to an original matching numbers bike. That said, I'm a stickler for original bikes. I'm not knocking the bike at all - could be a fantastic example, but is difficult to tell from the photos.

Would be great to see it out in daylight, with the tank protector off and decent shots showing the true cosmetic condition (especially of the exhausts).

James.

I do agree James, it is one of those bikes that you would have to see up close and personal.
Title: Re: price guide for a k4 CB750 please
Post by: Trigger on January 10, 2015, 04:38:01 PM
You are correct with the numbers, also the  cylinder head finning on the K3 (on-wards) had a centrally placed pillar. (3 pillars in total) the previous models had 4 pillars

Alan

Hi Alan,

I'm pretty sure the cylinder head fin detail change was introduce from K4 onwards. Every K3 I've owned (4 so far) has had the earlier style reinforcement (i.e. 4 not 3).

In terms of value, I'd say about £3500 on this example.

For that kind of money i would be going for one of these >http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB-750-FOUR-K6-SOHC-/111571055972?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19fa273564

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1976-HONDA-CB-750-FOUR-K6-/291347317551?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43d5a7432f