Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 04:10:18 PM

Title: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 04:10:18 PM
Hi Chaps
On the back of my engine, just above and below where the crankcase splits at the same level as where the swinging arm sits, there is a long horizontal hole, or tube in the engine casting. Either side are bolts joining the bottom of the engine to bit of the engine on top but between these bolts is this tube. At the moment the drain tube from the bottom of the air filter case is routed through this tube but not only does it not look right but the angle of the tube is so acute it crimps and occludes the tube. I have worked out that is not correct and have re routed it but what should be in that tube, if anything?. Sorry, tried to take a pic but so tight in there even with swinging arm out that nothing really showed.
Ta in advance
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 04:16:27 PM
I know the orifice to which you are referring.

Mine's pretty stock so I'll take a look for you this eve. I've had the carbs off and fitted a new air box filter thingy (the one in the bottom) so I may not have replaced all those tubes exactly as they came off. Back later...
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 06:03:22 PM
Hi Julie

The pipe I have routed down this tube is the one from the bottom of the inlet manifold. Fore/aft is about lined up but there is a slight left kink required to pass it through, though nothing serious.

As you say, if you've struggled to get the pipe from the bottom of the airbox down there then that is much further back. For that, mine just goes in front of the swinging arm. See pics - again as you say difficult area to photograph.

Cheers
Tom

PS - had another look - when the airbox tube emerges from the other side of the s/a it cunningly passes through a guide secured under the centre stand left side pinch bolt (hope you have that - heard they are very expensive to replace  ::) ). It's a very long pipe and has a pinch-drain affair at the bottom of it.
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 06:44:45 PM
Hi Tom.
Thanks for looking and the pics. Yes, I do have all the original guides which is handy. It must have been the PO that stuffed the pipe from the airbox down there but the end was not attached to the airbox, it was only when I tried to attatch it to the plastic tube on the box that I realised it would kink. I will need to have a good look at it again tomorrow as I think the pipe is actually upside down, or even the wrong pipe as the pinch drain is at the top not the bottom !!!!.

Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 06:49:04 PM
This is called "doing a Simon"

Thanks to Ash for posting the original Honda manual from which this is clipped
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 07:12:47 PM
Hi Tom.
Ah ha, now I can see with the enlarged pic. Right, there is no pipe coming off the bottom of the inlet manifold, I can see where the pipe attaches and that would go straight down through the hole I was asking about. But.....no spare pipe in sight so I think that has fallen off in the past. Then the pipe coming off the air filter case would go down almost horizontal through the guide under the centre stand pinch bolt. That all makes a bit more sense now. I think I just need to buy a new pipe from the inlet manifold and a new pipe with the pinch drain for the bottom of the air filter case.

Thanks very much Tom, very helpful

Regards
\julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 08:16:50 PM
Just looked on DSS and the drain pipe from the air filter box with the pinch drain at the bottom is now an obsolete part. Does anyone know where else I can get this from?. Its Part No 17358-374-000. They still do the breather pipe from the bottom of the air inlet box which is handy as that's the one I'm missing completely.
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Trigger on January 02, 2015, 08:25:03 PM
Just looked on DSS and the drain pipe from the air filter box with the pinch drain at the bottom is now an obsolete part. Does anyone know where else I can get this from?. Its Part No 17358-374-000. They still do the breather pipe from the bottom of the air inlet box which is handy as that's the one I'm missing completely.
Julie

measure the outlets and order Nitrile rubber smooth pipe ;)
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on January 02, 2015, 08:27:06 PM
You could try Ian (Boggieman) on here Julie, he sold quite a few 400/4 parts earlier in the year.

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php?action=profile;u=4731

Ash
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: ka-ja on January 02, 2015, 08:27:50 PM
Hi Julie,
           Is this the one CMS Holland    Ken

             http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400f-england_model14639/tube-breather_17335323000/#.VKb-tMn0fjI
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 08:36:49 PM
Hi Ken.
Thanks for that. It is the correct part No. but it seems to not have the pinch drain on it anymore, maybe it's one of those things you don't really need.Why have a pinch drain when you can just let is come out with gravity instead
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: steven400/4 on January 02, 2015, 08:58:41 PM
i thought the one at the bottom of the airfilter box was the only one that had the pinch slit at the bottom the one on the air chamber was just a hole ??
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 09:04:40 PM
That's the one Julie means, Steve

I bought 17335323000 from DSS - it has no pinch drain but since only the upper part was perished I used only that (or some such memory anyway). No idea why there is a "valve" in it at all. Perhaps to keep the crap out as there is likely no pressure or even some suction...
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 09:15:53 PM
i thought the one at the bottom of the airfilter box was the only one that had the pinch slit at the bottom the one on the air chamber was just a hole ??
Hi Steven.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. On my bike the one with just the hole in the bottom that should be coming off the inlet manifold has been put on the bottom of the air filter box by someone in the past in error, there is no pipe at all attached to the bottom of the manifold. So all I need to do is swap the one with the hole over to the inlet manifold and obtain a new one with a pinch drain for the air filter box.
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: steven400/4 on January 02, 2015, 09:20:25 PM
ok i can look in my stash to see if i have an old one if you get stuck but not sure i there is any in the boxes
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 09:24:35 PM
That's the one Julie means, Steve

I bought 17335323000 from DSS - it has no pinch drain but since only the upper part was perished I used only that (or some such memory anyway). No idea why there is a "valve" in it at all. Perhaps to keep the crap out as there is likely no pressure or even some suction...
That part Number Tom is the air inlet breather pipe, so no valve. Unless anyone can tell me why the other has a drain valve, I think I will just order that one from DSS and stick something in the bottom that I can release every now and then. I could always stick a pea up it I suppose  ;D ;D ;D. Thinking about it, it must be suction actually, if you think of the direction the air flows around the system there must be some draw / vaccum up the tube, so if you go through a deep puddle, I wonder if water would get sucked in?
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 09:28:18 PM
Just looked on DSS and the drain pipe from the air filter box with the pinch drain at the bottom is now an obsolete part. Does anyone know where else I can get this from?. Its Part No 17358-374-000. They still do the breather pipe from the bottom of the air inlet box which is handy as that's the one I'm missing completely.
Julie

measure the outlets and order Nitrile rubber smooth pipe ;)

Hi Trig
We use Nitrile rubber pipe at work but I've got a feeling what we use is a lot larger bore. Do you think it matters if it does not have the valve in the bottom ?
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 09:28:41 PM
Oh OK. I remember wondering at the time because the nomenclature is ambiguous. Obviously I bought the wrong bit but... the pinch thing is separate and I reused the old one I had. It slips over the bottom of the tube, about 2cm long.

Not saying these were ever separate parts but hey, it's just a blind bit of tubing with a cut in the end. Perhaps something could be made...

Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 09:30:58 PM
Go through a deep puddle ?  ;)
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Trigger on January 02, 2015, 09:36:57 PM
Just looked on DSS and the drain pipe from the air filter box with the pinch drain at the bottom is now an obsolete part. Does anyone know where else I can get this from?. Its Part No 17358-374-000. They still do the breather pipe from the bottom of the air inlet box which is handy as that's the one I'm missing completely.
Julie

measure the outlets and order Nitrile rubber smooth pipe ;)

Hi Trig
We use Nitrile rubber pipe at work but I've got a feeling what we use is a lot larger bore. Do you think it matters if it does not have the valve in the bottom ?
Regards
Julie

Here is what i use>  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140693835989?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=440044001332&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT  But, make sure it is a tight fit. Most bikes have had the stopper thrown away yonks ago. These are only drain pipes.
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 09:38:21 PM
Oh OK. I remember wondering at the time because the nomenclature is ambiguous. Obviously I bought the wrong bit but... the pinch thing is separate and I reused the old one I had. It slips over the bottom of the tube, about 2cm long.

Not saying these were ever separate parts but hey, it's just a blind bit of tubing with a cut in the end. Perhaps something could be made...
Gosh, I never thought I would come across anyone else on this forum who knows about the 'ambiguity of nomenclature's '.You sound like my old Professor at Uni but he only rode a push bike, an old 1927 Dursley or something like that  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Trigger on January 02, 2015, 09:43:09 PM
Oh OK. I remember wondering at the time because the nomenclature is ambiguous. Obviously I bought the wrong bit but... the pinch thing is separate and I reused the old one I had. It slips over the bottom of the tube, about 2cm long.

Not saying these were ever separate parts but hey, it's just a blind bit of tubing with a cut in the end. Perhaps something could be made...
Gosh, I never thought I would come across anyone else on this forum who knows about the 'ambiguity of nomenclature's '.You sound like my old Professor at Uni but he only rode a push bike, an old 1927 Dursley or something like that  ;D ;D ;D

What ever you do Julie, don't ask which way round the clutch cable eye goes. 400 Boy's can be a little sensitive ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: tom400f on January 02, 2015, 09:55:22 PM
Oh OK. I remember wondering at the time because the nomenclature is ambiguous. Obviously I bought the wrong bit but... the pinch thing is separate and I reused the old one I had. It slips over the bottom of the tube, about 2cm long.

Not saying these were ever separate parts but hey, it's just a blind bit of tubing with a cut in the end. Perhaps something could be made...
Gosh, I never thought I would come across anyone else on this forum who knows about the 'ambiguity of nomenclature's '.You sound like my old Professor at Uni but he only rode a push bike, an old 1927 Dursley or something like that  ;D ;D ;D

What ever you do Julie, don't ask which way round the clutch cable eye goes. 400 Boy's can be a little sensitive ;D ;D ;D

Yes I think that was what finished bike-pusher off...  ;D

But then again, if you look at that routing diagram in the official manual it shows you .... oh well you know  ;D

And Julie - I did Physics at Uni. Well someone has to and us 400F riders are a broad church ::) :P
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 02, 2015, 10:17:11 PM
Don't you worry about my clutch cable eye, it's totally original and looks like it's in the right place and the right way round. Make of that what you will  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Dan on January 03, 2015, 01:37:15 AM
The pinch valve stops muck / water getting sucked up the hose. The hose also provides a place for any moisture / oil from the airbox to sit in until service time when you pinch the bottom of the hose and allow the oily residue to drain out. This type of hose is also on my more "modern" '94 Gixxer and is in the service routine in the workshop manual to drain it (Its a bung rather than a slit).It's surprising how much actually comes out the hose if the bike is used regularly and you only drain the hose at service time. I guess the 400 hose would have to be not perished at all to hold any oil or water.
Dan
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: martin_uk on January 03, 2015, 10:22:25 AM
I previously had a 400/4 and tried to find the correct tube with pinch/duck bill type end.

I seem to remember buying one from India for a Royal Enfield, but dont remember if it fitted.

I believe the idea is that excessive pressure will open the duck bill, but if low pressure, will close bill and stop unfiltered air entering?

What size is the outlet on breather trap?

I will have a look to see if I still have.
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: Nurse Julie on January 03, 2015, 08:05:42 PM
I previously had a 400/4 and tried to find the correct tube with pinch/duck bill type end.

I seem to remember buying one from India for a Royal Enfield, but dont remember if it fitted.

I believe the idea is that excessive pressure will open the duck bill, but if low pressure, will close bill and stop unfiltered air entering?

What size is the outlet on breather trap?

I will have a look to see if I still have.

Thanks Martin, problem solved, I found some pipe that fits whilst out and about today. I would have preferred to have got hold of an original one if I could, but this will do just fine for the forseeable
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: What's this hole / tube for?
Post by: martin_uk on January 03, 2015, 10:40:53 PM
Found the pipe, it is 10mm inside.

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8629/15567798023_c2f55986b3_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/pHF2YK)2015_0103armse0017 (https://flic.kr/p/pHF2YK) by nitram2010 (https://www.flickr.com/people/46578358@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/16185723431_3ce42593d5_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qEh4F6)2015_0103armse0016 (https://flic.kr/p/qEh4F6) by nitram2010 (https://www.flickr.com/people/46578358@N07/), on Flickr