Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: philward on January 07, 2015, 07:47:56 PM

Title: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: philward on January 07, 2015, 07:47:56 PM
Hi Guys
Just got my repo K2 exhausts from CMSL (yes, there back in stock!) - was getting K0 exhausts from David at Saisei as he was (and still is I think) cheapest for K0 and K2 wasn't available but CSML emailed me to advise they where in stock.
Before I fit the nice shiny exhaust, what's your thoughts on painting the inside with some sort of heat proof paint - maybe barbeque paint that I can pour in and rinse around? Have too many memories of rotten exhausts being replaced on my CB750/CB500/Z1 in the 70's
Thanks
Phil
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Johnwebley on January 07, 2015, 08:37:32 PM
you can get Rustoleum spray zinc based heat resistant paint,

 I've used it ,and it seems to work well,

but,if you never ride less than 10miles,and always get the pipes hot,they will last well,

much of the corrosion before was caused by the added lead in the petrol,causing a "galvanic" reaction,

keep the pipes HOT ,maybe spray inside with oil before winter,


my 4 pipes on my 500,were fitted in about 1992,only cost £250 a set !!!
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 07, 2015, 10:18:13 PM
John, i think that the original pipes had some kind of zinc based paint on the insides because i have some OEM sets that have a silver paint around the drain holes. Never knew that about the lead petrol.
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: fryerk on January 08, 2015, 01:54:32 PM
Hi Phil

Like you I have just received my nice shiny new pipes from CMS and was considering exactly the same about trying to protect the inside. Thought I would try the Eastwood Hi-Temp internal exhaust coating available from Frost. http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-hi-temp-internal-exhaust-coating-with-extension-tube.html

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Kevin
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: JamesMaynard on January 08, 2015, 02:56:38 PM
Please.  I have yet to fit the NOS exhaust (not from Sansei) to my K0 and would be interested.
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: sprinta on January 08, 2015, 03:32:42 PM
Hi Phil

Like you I have just received my nice shiny new pipes from CMS and was considering exactly the same about trying to protect the inside. Thought I would try the Eastwood Hi-Temp internal exhaust coating available from Frost. http://www.frost.co.uk/eastwood-hi-temp-internal-exhaust-coating-with-extension-tube.html

I'll let you all know how I get on.

Kevin

Are the CMS downpipes double skinned like the original Honda ones were?
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: philward on January 08, 2015, 08:02:53 PM
Hi
Just had a look at pipes but can't say for sure - put my fingers in to feel wall thickness and they feel same thickness as an old set I have. Probably best to email CSML (they call it 'open a ticket' I think)
Perhaps someone else on the forum can enlighten us?
Phil
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 08:09:06 PM
CMS sold out after a couple of days.
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: UK Pete on January 08, 2015, 08:38:18 PM
How much were they selling for?
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 08:47:01 PM
How much were they selling for?

Not sure Pete, i was too late :'( but, i do know of one member that got his grubby hands on 3 sets.
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Green1 on January 08, 2015, 08:57:37 PM
Don't look at me I haven't bought any new pipes for sometime

Mick
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 08, 2015, 09:01:04 PM
Don't look at me I haven't bought any new pipes for sometime

Mick

You also have not sold any  ::).
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Green1 on January 08, 2015, 09:06:29 PM
There for future use planning on keeping this bike  :)

Mick
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: MCTID on January 08, 2015, 09:35:16 PM
Glad to see the latest stuff from Saisei shifting....especially the Exhaust Systems......and Club Members are getting their much needed parts to keep the flag (bikes) flying. I'll throw my hat in the ring as I bought a set of 'unstamped' CB 750 HM 300 Exhausts a couple of months ago from Mach IV Motors in the US, but due to moving house.....and with my new house needing my full attention for the next year, if any Club Member wants to buy my set for £1350.00 (which is what I paid with Import Duty, VAT and shipping) - I'll let my set go.

This Exhaust System is made in Japan from the original mandrels and is of exceptional quality. They are the 'louder' version and include the baffles - but not the bolt on Heat Protectors

I can e mail photos if requested.

If somebody wants them......please let me know......otherwise they will just sit in storage for a year or more until I can use them.....which seems a real shame as they could get someone on the road ready for next spring.

As I said....I am not making any money on these.........so please don't ask for my best offer, or to take your 1967 FSIE in part ex etc........as my response will simply be %&*@ off. I know that £1350.00 is a lot of money, but these are probably the icing on the cake if you have a serious rebuild on the cards. I have only seen one set of original HMC pipes for sale recently and these are £2200.00 + Shipping + Import Duty +VAT - so about a frightening £3K in all.

I'm presently living in Worthing but will be making regular trips 'oop north' to my new house in Lytham, so I may be able to deliver if it suits.

Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: philward on January 08, 2015, 10:54:45 PM
In reply to Pete - K2 pipes from CSML where just over 800 squid
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: UK Pete on January 09, 2015, 03:17:09 PM
Its good to see the prices of pipes coming down now that there are several firms remaking them, when silvers sold his last set of genuine hm 300 pipes they were about 2.5k, after that I see a genuine set sell for nearly 3k
German eBay were selling hm300 copies for less than a grand a few weeks ago
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 09, 2015, 03:27:39 PM
Agreed Pete they have all been on the gravy train long enough ;)
Cheers
Ralph
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 09, 2015, 03:37:25 PM
Agreed Pete they have all been on the gravy train long enough ;)
Cheers
Ralph

There was a member selling some HM 300's Bitsa, i thought you were wanting some. 
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: JamesMaynard on January 09, 2015, 04:17:53 PM
I got a set of genuine NOS 300 ones for £1250.
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Trigger on January 09, 2015, 04:22:37 PM
I got a set of genuine NOS 300 ones for £1250.

I only want a set of HM341's  :'(
Title: Re: New CB750K2 Exhaust
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 09, 2015, 09:33:54 PM
Trig
Got those like for like get me a set of 300s no single skin shite no numbered and we can swop
Got some you devil? ;) ;)
Cheers
Bitsa