Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: hondatri on January 16, 2015, 07:14:22 PM
-
My Son was looking at my bike and saw an overheated wire Red/White under the left hand panel it and a Red wire going into a 2 pin connector. He cut it off but did not record where they went. I had a look and found the previous owner had fitted a spade fuse and the red wire was going to it then off to the Battery But I dont know where he cut the Red/White from. The wiring Diagram shows these 2 wires coming from the battery,If I connect both wires to the Battery and turn on Ign nothing happened If I connect the red only I get the Oil and Neutral lights on. Can someone look at their bike to see where the Red /Red white wires goes.The 6 pin connector does not have the 2 red wires on tn the bike side of fuse holder(Probably the 2 going to the Spade Fuse. But where does the Red and Red/White wires go..
-
Im looking at mine and can't see a red or white wire together anywhere. The only red is going in and out of a 6 pin connector coming from fuse box. Probably not much help i'm afraid
-
I'm telling porkies, there are 2 reds coming from fuse box in to 6 pin connector
-
Red/white to rectifier and red to ignition
[attachimg=1]
Edit
The red/white wire goes to the rectifier connecting block which is wired like this.
[attachimg=2]
-
....just a thought Hondatri... little point in repairing the loom if the original fault not found / fixed?
A UK spec diagram Bodd!, hard to find. But where are the fuses for the Head & Tail lamp circuits?
Simon
-
Try this one.
[attachimg=1]
-
Bodd
Nice layout brill
Cheers
Bitsa
-
Bodd
Nice layout brill
Cheers
Bitsa
Even i can follow that diagram ;D
-
Trig
100 percent now?Its not hard with me I have a great problem in explaining it than doing it but if we were all there same this site would be dead quiet
Cheers
Bitsa
-
...now stolen from you,
Thanks Bodd,
S
-
Thanks Bodd that is a much better diagram where you can see the Red /Red White going to the 2 pin connector.The previous owner Had cut the Red wires from the fusebox and fitted a Blade Fuse. The Red/White goes from Reg to Batt. My problem as I explained is that if I connect Red only to Batt I get the Oil/Neut Lights on. When I Add the Red white the Lights go out so I suspect the Reg. How can I test it. Sorry for being a pest.
PS. Why were these wires in a sleeve and why did Red/White show signs of overheating. Incidently the bike was runnin ok with a little Cam Chain noise I took it off road to remedy that.
-
This is what I was faced with, the fusebox was bypassed altogether and had 3 in line fuses added to the wires plucked from the loom, as it was a total rebuild I had the loom completely off the bike and refurbished with new connectors and a fusebox I got from this (http://www.400fourbits.co.uk/) guy, amazingly the only problem I had when I refit the loom was with the head light main beam and Simon (Lobo) pointed me in the right direction, I had 1 bad wire (blue to bulb holder), I'm not really that good when it comes to wiring and always number label each wire when I strip a bike because sometimes PO's change things, the rear light was green in the loom but blue from the light and a lot of wires were black due to someone being over zealous with a rattle can, what experience has taught me is that if a wire burns it is usually a faulty component or a short somewhere, as for testing components apart from finding faulty wires and circuits with a multi meter I'm out of my comfort zone, Simon is your man for that kind of stuff.
[attachimg=1]
-
No wonder there was no resemblance to the wiring I looked at on my 400/4 then !!!.
-
Overheating can also come from high resistance - caused by something as simple as dirty / corroded connectors. I had this on the fuse holders of my bike. You could smell overheating with the ignition on. A good clean up of the fuse holders sorted it.
-
Thanks for all the replies guys I have sorted the wiring , Now to check all terminals.
-
Thanks Bodd - you flatter me. Truth is, I write bloody screeds of stuff, test this, check that, blah blah bloody blah... and then Bryan bloody types (his typical) 4 words.... "It's the regulator earthing" or suchlike, and is invariably right!
But I'm learning (slowly).... there's nothing to beat hands on experience.
Simon
-
Lobo, after 40 years of Honda's and at the end of a night driving shift concise seems to work best mate---still things i get wrong or have forgotten about so all the ideas are good
-
I think every sohc bike I have owned or looked at buying has had some sighn of heat dammmage to that red / white cable, or corrosion, it seems to fail way before the rest of the wiring. Even true of the wifes 250 nighthawk, some 20 or 30 years younger than most of the aircooled 4s this forum is mostly about, though still a sohc honda.