Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: dieffe on January 21, 2015, 07:56:03 PM

Title: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on January 21, 2015, 07:56:03 PM
Hi all,
I have found that someone has replaced the rev counter at some stage on my K1 with a later type (no idiot lights). Is it possible to fit idiot lights to this rev counter or is it time to start looking for another one.
I have seen these replacement dials which could be a start.

Replacement dials (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-K1-gauge-clock-face-plates-MILES-for-tacho-and-speedo-meter-/130914928273)

I do have a few other questions as well but will spread them out to get my post count up.  ;)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 21, 2015, 08:02:38 PM
Start Loooking ;D Those faces are perfect but, need the clocks first.
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on January 21, 2015, 08:04:08 PM
That's not what I wanted to hear.   :(

Ok, next question.... does anyone have........  ::)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 21, 2015, 08:05:55 PM
That's not what I wanted to hear.   :(

Ok, next question.... does anyone have........  ::)

The good new is: That it is easier to lay your hands on a rev counter that a speedo ;)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 21, 2015, 08:15:31 PM
Seen a few restored tacho and speedo but in kph on various eBay's but not CHEAP.You can change the face to mph but what a palaver
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 21, 2015, 08:34:56 PM
Seen a few restored tacho and speedo but in kph on various eBay's but not CHEAP.You can change the face to mph but what a palaver
Cheers
Bitsa

He is on about the rev counter Bitsa ;)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 21, 2015, 09:16:05 PM
Hi all,
I have found that someone has replaced the rev counter at some stage on my K1 with a later type (no idiot lights). Is it possible to fit idiot lights to this rev counter or is it time to start looking for another one.
I have seen these replacement dials which could be a start.

Replacement dials (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB750-K1-gauge-clock-face-plates-MILES-for-tacho-and-speedo-meter-/130914928273)

I do have a few other questions as well but will spread them out to get my post count up.  ;)

I would contact Marcel at CB750 faces to see what he could come up with. He also re-conditions clocks and maybe able to help.
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on January 21, 2015, 10:49:12 PM
Thank you, that's brilliant.
It just so happens I was nosing around the interweb and happened across that very site.
I shall investigate further.

How about those rubber cushion things that go into the headlamp brackets. Any ideas where I could get any of thos from, I think I need 4 but I only have one.

This is going to be more fun than I first thought.  ;D
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 21, 2015, 11:08:09 PM
Thank you, that's brilliant.
It just so happens I was nosing around the interweb and happened across that very site.
I shall investigate further.

How about those rubber cushion things that go into the headlamp brackets. Any ideas where I could get any of thos from, I think I need 4 but I only have one.

This is going to be more fun than I first thought.  ;D

The top rubbers number is 51601-300-000 and the bottom is 51622-292-010 and can be obtained from CSM ;)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on January 22, 2015, 12:05:59 AM
You lot are good, I'll give you that.     8)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: Trigger on January 22, 2015, 12:08:28 AM
You lot are good, I'll give you that.     8)

Only Good ?  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on March 01, 2015, 02:00:54 PM
Me again,
I have managed to modify the later rev counter that came on the K1 to be like the earlier one. I got some new clock faces and fitted a pair of bulb holders, made some tubes to shroud them and wired them up.
It seems to have worked out fine and there is no light leaking out of or into the warning lights.

Well happy.  :)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/IMG_1482_zpscmimygup.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/IMG_1483_zpsrr7xb0hm.jpg)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on March 17, 2015, 10:05:20 PM
After finding out that the oil pressure switch was knackered and spending ages trying to figure out where I had gone wrong in modifying the later rev counter  >:( I have finally got it fitted and working.
It was a bit of a headache but worth it in the end.

Hoorah!!!

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/New%20bikes/Clocks_zpspx2rej26.jpg)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: JamesH on March 17, 2015, 10:26:05 PM
Nice work - what did you use to make the light tube shrouds?
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on March 18, 2015, 08:55:05 AM
I made the tubes out of some copper pipe with the ends folded over so I could rivet them in, and at the top used small pieces of rubber tube similar to what was in the speedo.
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: RGP750 on March 18, 2015, 10:06:56 AM
Cunning ;)
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: JamesH on March 18, 2015, 10:29:13 AM
I made the tubes out of some copper pipe with the ends folded over so I could rivet them in, and at the top used small pieces of rubber tube similar to what was in the speedo.
Good thinking. Don't suppose you took any photos?. Sounds like a great solution, certainly less prone to drying out / cracking of the originals...
Title: Re: K1 rev counter
Post by: dieffe on March 18, 2015, 10:32:36 PM
Sorry, I forgot to take any interim pictures.