Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: NigelWilmshurst on January 29, 2015, 11:55:53 AM

Title: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on January 29, 2015, 11:55:53 AM
Is it best to use a pour in fuel additive or one of those what looks like a lump of lead in a wire cage in your fuel tank, that one seems cheaper and a lot less hassle
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: AshimotoK0 on January 29, 2015, 12:39:47 PM

At Newark  Classic Bike  Show in Jan this year.. offered it to me for my MG 1500 engine for 25 quid. Claimed  it really  works and used by the RAF. Seemed a decent bloke but who knows? He's based nr. Horsham W.Sussex.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/351287736625?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: mickwinf on January 29, 2015, 01:36:56 PM
Those type of fuel additive made of some sort of metal pellets became available when we went to unleaded fuel, they make many claims about them but when tested by scientists or motor magazines the results were at best inconclusive and at worst damaged the valves. The story about the RAF using it during the war was never substantiated so I would be very reluctant to spend my money on them.
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 29, 2015, 03:25:57 PM
You don't need a fuel additive for any of these engines. They were all designed to run on unleaded from day one.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on January 29, 2015, 08:06:22 PM
I always thought that too Steve never used it on anything
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: matthewmosse on January 29, 2015, 08:44:02 PM
Everything I have read says unleaded is fine in these engines. I got 180,000 miles out of an engine, with no issues whatever using unleaded. Being a sidecar the engine wasn't getting an easy time of it either. On the other hand I ran a similar age bmw and that did need lead replacement. I fed it redex lead replacement and found a very slight inprinprovement in mpg and preformance, after reading up on it I did start missing out redex additive every so often and never had to re set tappets which would be a tell tale of valve seat recssion, I belive it is only normally an issue on bikes or cars not built to unleaded speck, and very often only manifests if the vehicle is thrashed, though some engines are probably more vulnerable. A lot of opinions I have noted will say, run unleaded regardless, use the savings to get unleaded valve seats inserted if it becomes an issue. Definitely a sound premise for a classic that gets used a lot. But as has been said, a moot point on the sohc hondas as they are fine on unleaded.
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: Trigger on January 29, 2015, 09:02:37 PM
Most alloy heads have the hard valve seats. So unleaded is recommended on all Japanese bikes with a alloy heads. 
Title: Re: Lead replacement fuel additive
Post by: Johnwebley on January 29, 2015, 11:00:58 PM
I hear what you say,

untill about 4 yrs ago I used Morris additive,as the little bike manual insisted that a little lead was required,

 but,in the last 8K miles,it seems to run ok,