Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Tony H on February 01, 2015, 09:23:23 AM

Title: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Tony H on February 01, 2015, 09:23:23 AM
Hi All,
Tony H from Christchurch, New Zealand. Well I have been here for two and a half years,I moved here from Chatham Kent for change of scenery and it has been a great experience. Once you are out of town there is not much traffic to bother with and the scenery is breath taking.
On the bike front I have a 1974 cb500 four k1 which I rebuilt  around Severn years ago :) It has been a fantastic bike to ride and a good handler (IMHO). when I rebuilt the engine the speedo was showing 42000 miles.I am glad that I did a full engine check as the hyvo chain was so stretched it was eating the lower crank case away !!!!! But apart from replacing the hyvo chain, cam chain, piston rings and gear box bearings the rest of the engine was in good condition.

I Had one in 1973 /4 and it made such an impression that many years later I had to get another one.
The only complaint is that when the engine is at running temperature the clutch becomes very grabby and it is difficult to pull away smothley, this is exactly as I remember my 500 four from all those years ago.

Thats all for now

Tony H
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: kent400 on February 01, 2015, 09:45:34 AM
Well Tony Chatham is still here, not heard from you for a while and now doubt there will be a few people on here who know who you are.
Welcome
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 01, 2015, 10:24:32 AM
Welcome !  .. Never owned a CB500F but test drove one for a guy at college that was for sale in the local paper and after my CB250K2 .. WOW ... the engine was sewing machine smooth.. I was the jealous guy.

Ash
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: mickwinf on February 01, 2015, 01:35:16 PM
welcome Tony, I agree the 500/4 rocks!
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 01, 2015, 01:50:43 PM
Welcome Tony
I am from Gillingham
Cheers
Bitsa
small world ;)
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 01, 2015, 02:32:19 PM
Ralph - tell us how you went from Gillingham to "un vieil homme grincheux en France"

 ;D
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: UK Pete on February 01, 2015, 02:47:49 PM
Hi tony welcome aboard fella
pete
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 01, 2015, 04:30:24 PM
Steve long story came here to look after mum in law and over the years dealing with the muppets here has made me what I am a grumpy old git. ;)
Missing the UK bad and will come home in the near future.
Cheers
Ralph
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Green1 on February 01, 2015, 04:37:32 PM
Welcome Tony
Ralph I think your mad wanting to come back.

Mick
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 01, 2015, 04:45:11 PM
I like France too, although not sure I'd want to live there!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 01, 2015, 04:54:39 PM
Steve,Mick
Dont get me wrong its a nice country but run by idiots and if I could do it again I would have kept the house in the UK come here for 8 months and have 4 months back home that would be ideal.
Rural france is dead in winter,wet, windy and bloody cold.Getting things done is a knightmare because they do not want to work cos the taxes are so high.I will say this if you have ideas to live here b4 you commit have 2 summers and 2 winters here first that will make your mind up.If we do stay here from now on Spain in the winter.
Cheers
Ralph
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: tom400f on February 01, 2015, 06:29:19 PM
Ralph - tell us how you went from Gillingham to "un vieil homme grincheux en France"

 ;D

Wanted to save on soap ?   :P
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: ka-ja on February 01, 2015, 07:49:25 PM
Tony H-Welcome to the motley crew, the more the merrier---Ken
   As for Bitsa, must be the Garlic ;D ;D
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 01, 2015, 08:27:06 PM
Naw even though I like garlic.There is a saying here that they could not run a bath thats because around here they aint got one ;D
Cheeers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Trigger on February 01, 2015, 08:31:17 PM
Welcome Tony.
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: philward on February 01, 2015, 10:34:53 PM
Welcome from me too Tony
Phil
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: petersy on March 08, 2015, 05:09:10 PM
Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

I remember buying my first CB500 four in 1974.

The first thing we did back then was to change the rear shocks and Japanese tyres (lethal in the wet).

I put Dunstall 4 into 2 exhausts on mine and it sounded awesome!
Title: Re: Yet another Newbie
Post by: Drew400 on March 08, 2015, 05:55:14 PM
Welcome , here here, D.