Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 11:57:49 AM

Title: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 11:57:49 AM
Hi All.
Just picked up my carbs from the cleaners. Cleaned in a big ultra sonic cleaner with some carb cleaner added. On the whole the carbs look alot cleaner generally but I seem to have what looks like Calcium deposits in some areas. Mainly where the choke flaps are and on the flaps. Also some very small areas of white stuff in some of the outer body nooks and crannies. Now, it seems easy to remove the stuff on the outside but what do I do about the rest and how do I know the internals are not full of this crud as well?. I had removed and will be replacing with new, all the jets that usually hang down in to the bowls so they won't be a problem, but what about everything else inside ?. Should I take the carbs apart from the top as well and check everything ?.Apologies if my explanation's are not too good.
Ta in advance
Julie
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 02, 2015, 12:09:42 PM
Hi Julie
You are really going for it arent you? ;)Photos would help though of this crud
All the best
Ralph
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: PatM on February 02, 2015, 12:10:25 PM
That's a bugger- but to be honest- air makes carbs oxidise- that what happens to bare ally. Ive never had carbs cleaned by an ultra sonic process but some folks speak highly of it. Im too tight or cant be arsed- mixture of both. I suffer carb cleaner and an airline. Id clean the obvious off with a toothbrush and some wd40 and fit then/fire it up.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 02, 2015, 12:14:23 PM
Funny .. Five minutes ago  I have just put a carb. body from a CB750,  that I am giving to elBurro on here,  into the US cleaner with some new additive I just got from Allendale electronics that is supposed to be suitable for carbs and non- ferrous in general. They are in there at 55°C with the solution (they recommend a 10% solution at 50 ->60 °C. It's a big industrial US cleaner and will give you an appraisal in a couple of hours. The carb body has  the white oxide on the inside, as you describe Julie.

Ash
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 02, 2015, 12:14:35 PM
Pat
I had some here done and to be honest was not impressed ran like a bag of spanners so stripped again and did it your way much better results.
Wont be going sonic way again
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 12:32:58 PM
Funny .. Five minutes ago  I have just put a carb. body from a CB750,  that I am giving to elBurro on here,  into the US cleaner with some new additive I just got from Allendale electronics that is supposed to be suitable for carbs and non- ferrous in general. They are in there at 55°C with the solution (they recommend a 10% solution at 50 ->60 °C. It's a big industrial US cleaner and will give you an appraisal in a couple of hours. The carb body has  the white oxide on the inside, as you describe Julie.


Ash
Let me know what they come out like please Ash
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 12:36:28 PM
Hi Julie
You are really going for it arent you? ;)Photos would help though of this crud
All the best
Ralph
Sorry Ralph, photo's not good as doing on my bobile. Will try again later. The deposits actually remind me of chalk, or Rennie indegestion tablets that's why I am assuming it is calcium.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Trigger on February 02, 2015, 12:52:01 PM
What have you done Julie. May be a new set of carbs is needed ;D Just clean it off
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 01:18:56 PM
I haven't broken them and no one had died so it ain't a real disaster. Just not quite what I was expecting.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 02, 2015, 01:56:10 PM
Julie
Its coming back to me when I got mine done.It was not what I expected also they did not look as bugger all had been done to them and yes a powder deposit which have to say all came off with high pressure air gun.
Best of luck
Ralph
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 05:09:11 PM
Progress made, crisis averted  :). Put loads of carb cleaner in every orifice I could find on the carbs and took up local workshop and they gave them a really good blow out. But, prior to this the slides were totally seized, or the mechanisms that moves the slides up and down were seized so had to kept putting a mixture of WD40 and carb cleaner in and was gently levering the bit where the throttle cables attach and eventually they started freeing off 1 by 1. Managed to accumulate some of the white powdery deposit, definitely a calcium type deposit, can feel a very slight grittiness to it. It melts totally in carb cleaner and WD 40 but not fully in water, it forms a paste. My first experience of Ultrasonic cleaning on carbs, lesson learnt, won't be going that route again anytime soon  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Trigger on February 02, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Not understanding where the grittiness has come from ? You put the carbs in a ultrasonic machine, wash out with hot water, blow out with air line until dry and squirt a little wd40.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 05:52:02 PM
The grittiness was definately in the white powdery deposits. Maybe grit is a too harsher word for it but you could feel something when rubbing it between you fingers, sort of like a paste.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: fisjon on February 02, 2015, 06:07:51 PM
Hi Julie,
I take it you paid for this to be done, if so you should take them back and get them done again. If they moan about it just tell them that you will let everyone know that they do inferior work.

If any of the 'grit' is left inside the air/fuel tubes then you are going to have probs. I had an ultrasonic cleaner and I had nothing like that in any of the work I did. for an example see photo.

Everything I put in came out clean as a whistle with no crud or powder. I suspect they are not using the correct cleaning agent.
john
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Clem2112 on February 02, 2015, 06:21:55 PM
Nothing wrong with ultrasonic cleaning if its done right  :)

I did some research before I took the ultrasonic route.....


The media should not be too aggressive and something like Sea Clean is considered safe for alloy carb bodies.
Using acidic or alkaline fluids or ones containing abrasives are not a good idea.

The carburettors need to be completely stripped first - the liquid needs to be able to get into all the passages and voids and be free to drain out afterwards.
Jets and other loose parts can go in too but I don't know if the tiniest holes allow much liquid through?
It's essential to blow out all these internals with compressed air after cleaning.
After drying in a warm airing cupboard I sprayed the outsides with WD40.

Total cost £40 for a small cleaner and £8 for the fluid.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 06:23:29 PM
Don't worry. Spoke to them earlier and it is now a FOC job. Your carbs look great and no, mine don't look anywhere as nice and shiney as those, never did and probably never will  :'( :'( :'(
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Trigger on February 02, 2015, 06:27:09 PM
A lot of industry use a caustic solution which is no good for alloy. Screen wash works well.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: fisjon on February 02, 2015, 06:45:56 PM
Julie
I would offer to do them for you but for the fact that my US cleaner (600watts) blew up and took out my electrics in the garage. It cost me £400 to have a new consumer box and the garage rewired!

The best cleaning fluid to use in a US cleaner is' US-CAR' available from R&D Laboratories Ltd (www.mistralie.co.uk) I can guarantee from experience good results using this product.

Here's another one I did earlier  :D

john
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 02, 2015, 06:53:09 PM
Have to say mine never came back like those pair
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 06:58:34 PM
A lot of industry use a caustic solution which is no good for alloy. Screen wash works well.
I think I should have stuck to my original plan.........put them in the dishwasher  ::) ::) ::)
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 02, 2015, 07:01:03 PM
Julie
I would offer to do them for you but for the fact that my US cleaner (600watts) blew up and took out my electrics in the garage. It cost me £400 to have a new consumer box and the garage rewired!

The best cleaning fluid to use in a US cleaner is' US-CAR' available from R&D Laboratories Ltd (www.mistralie.co.uk) I can guarantee from experience good results using this product.

Here's another one I did earlier  :D

john
Thanks John. I will not despair, worse things will happen I'm sure  :)
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 03, 2015, 01:50:52 AM
Well the carb still had deposits after immersion in cleaning fluid at 55 deg C in the US bath below. Think US cleaners  are OK for gummed up carbs and getting to internal drillings etc. but not so sure about carbs that get acid rain inside them, when left outside, which causes corrosion to the zinc based alloy (white deposit possibly zinc carbonate). One thing to be careful of is that you can get black smutty deposits if you use the wrong cleaning fluid and you lose that nice blue sheen that the surfaces originally had.

I  will have another go tomorrow, as the cleaner would only go to ten minutes at a time (need to find manual to set for longer) . I had it on sweep &  high boost burst  so don't think it's anything to do with the US machine

Here is the fluid I used diluted 1 part to 10 de-ionised water at 55 deg C ( as per instructions)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231219810941?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is the machine I am using:-

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Lobo on February 03, 2015, 02:02:01 AM
Ash, that looks a big & useful cleaner. Mine was small & useless.. my fault for not researching it enough.

I too have had that powdery effect when cleaning... thought "warnings labels are for wasters" & applied oven cleaner to my 400's hubs. (on the bench). 30 mins later removed it & found a cleanish but oxidised finish which had actually taken away the finish. £40 to get it polished - dang. (But it looks fantastic now)

Ya live & learn....
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Trigger on February 03, 2015, 08:21:47 AM
Ash, that is bigger than mine ;D
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 03, 2015, 08:29:44 AM
Ash, that is bigger than mine ;D
Still not cleaning the carb white deposits though for all of  it's bad boy looks.

http://cb750carbs.com/

http://www.motorcycleproject.com/text/ultrasonic_carburetor_cleaning_v7.swf
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 03, 2015, 09:55:40 AM
Nice bit of kit does it do yer chips as well? ;) ;) Just jesting and envious
Cheers
Ralph
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 03, 2015, 11:13:09 AM
It's the one at work Ralph not my 'home' on which is this:-

[attach=1]
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 03, 2015, 11:23:11 AM
Ash
Might not be at home,Nice to be able to use it though
Excellant
Ralph
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 03, 2015, 09:27:59 PM
After another hour in the large US bath at 55 deg C today the 750 carb still had the white deposits on the inside . This is in total contrast to my K0 750 carbs off my bike that had been stored indoors by it's PO but with fuel in them for 7 years. The K0 carbs came out sparkling clean, after an hour or so, in a much smaller (28litre) US bath I have at home and not in any fancy cleaner, just water and a drop of Fairy Liquid but with the bath heater on.

I reckon if carbs have suffered water ingress corrosion they need mechanical abrasion or soda blasting to remove the white deposits, then US cleaning (like Ralph/Graham said I think) but I am no expert just talking from practical experience. But if the large cleaner I was using does not shift the white deposits I don't think any of the smaller baths  or hobby types will touch it.

Or for gummed up carbs you could use a tub of this (out in the open air of course). No PC comments please. :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dichloromethane-99-9-5L-/301501620024?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_Supplies_ET&hash=item4632e59f38
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 03, 2015, 10:17:22 PM
That's very interesting Ash. I thought I had cracked it yesterday with the carb cleaner and high pressure air. This morning the white deposits were back again, albeit less, so tonight I filled up a 60ml syringe with petrol and have been flushing the carbs through with that.  I will let you know what I find in the morning.
Regards
Julie
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 04, 2015, 08:18:24 AM
That's very interesting Ash. I thought I had cracked it yesterday with the carb cleaner and high pressure air. This morning the white deposits were back again, albeit less, so tonight I filled up a 60ml syringe with petrol and have been flushing the carbs through with that.  I will let you know what I find in the morning.
Regards
Julie

Julie if you have access to an air line then you could always make yourself a little soda blaster out of  a piece of Nylon pipe and an air blow gun. Not tried it myself ... one of the many 'projects' on my 'to do' list.

A bit 'Blue Peter' from someone who spent his formative years perving over the female presenters.... Must dig out my George the tortoise from the loft made out of an old woolen glove and some uncooked rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KULVhW2tw4I

Ash
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 04, 2015, 08:59:23 AM
I thought the tortoise was called Fred?

Or Freda, once they discovered he was a girl and managed to fit the extra "A" on the painted shell.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 04, 2015, 09:29:33 AM
That's very interesting Ash. I thought I had cracked it yesterday with the carb cleaner and high pressure air. This morning the white deposits were back again, albeit less, so tonight I filled up a 60ml syringe with petrol and have been flushing the carbs through with that.  I will let you know what I find in the morning.
Regards
Julie

Julie if you have access to an air line then you could always make yourself a little soda blaster out of  a piece of Nylon pipe and an air blow gun. Not tried it myself ... one of the many 'projects' on my 'to do' list.

A bit 'Blue Peter' from someone who spent his formative years perving over the female presenters.... Must dig out my George the tortoise from the loft made out of an old woolen glove and some uncooked rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KULVhW2tw4I

Ash
That looks simple enough Ash. The petrol I used last night has definately removed more of the deposits than the carb cleaner did but it will be intersting to see if any more deposits appear throughout the day.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 04, 2015, 09:49:34 AM
I thought the tortoise was called Fred?

Or Freda, once they discovered he was a girl and managed to fit the extra "A" on the painted shell.

You might be correct for our era Steve but my 25 (now) daughter got me to make George for her about 18 years ago, so he was probably a later  replacement for Fred(A). Bloody hell I said I would come back on here in the New Year and cut the banter and now we are talking about Blue Peter's tortoise.. Sorry Ralph !
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 04, 2015, 10:22:46 AM
Banter makes the world go around.

It would be really dull if we only talked about bikes (a bit like chatting to TwoTired on the US forum...)
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 04, 2015, 10:50:18 AM
No worries Ash, life is too short to worry about it and as Steve says it would become very dull ;) ;)
Cheers
Ralph
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Tazaud on May 25, 2015, 10:00:30 PM
From what i have read after just purchasing an ultrasonic cleaner, water quality used in the cleaner is also apparently an important factor.
De-ionized water seems the way to go. more info on this page: http://blog.omegasonics.com/archives/de-ionized-water-ultrasonic-cleaning-system
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: royhall on May 26, 2015, 07:51:22 AM
I used water out of the dehumidifier in the house, almost distilled water I'm told. Works very well though. As Ash says, with a drop of fairy liquid.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: mike the bike on May 26, 2015, 09:41:12 AM
You could also use condensate from a condensing tumble dryer or the ice that collects on the evaporator in a freezer.  Or buy a bag of ice from Asia.
Title: Re: White deposits in carbs from Ultra Sonic cleaner
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 27, 2015, 08:15:53 AM
You could also use condensate from a condensing tumble dryer or the ice that collects on the evaporator in a freezer.  Or buy a bag of ice from Asia.

Was that Asia or Asda Mike, seems a very  long way to go for ice  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D