Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Myford on February 08, 2015, 06:04:13 PM

Title: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Myford on February 08, 2015, 06:04:13 PM
Hi All,
I'm just about to fit my new D/S exhaust and was wondering what clamps I need on the down pipe to collector box. The parts list shows 2 different clamps, but they were of course for the original (2 pipes welded) version. So which clamp do I order for all 4 pipes?
Thanks
Terry
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: boilermaker1 on February 08, 2015, 06:17:35 PM
Two clamps for the two down pipes and a larger clamp for exhaust header connection
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Myford on February 08, 2015, 06:35:02 PM
Thanks boilermaker, but I've answered my own question,- D/S do an after market clamp for the 1 and 3 pipe which is identical. so I think it will fit all 4 of the repro pipes.
I wonder why the original 1 and 4 clamps were different part numbers?
Terry
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Drew400 on February 08, 2015, 07:11:46 PM
I guess you'll also have ordered the 'packing' that seals the joints (parts 18391-292-300 & 18391-375-000 on the Honda parts listing)... I forgot them, hence this message (sorry if it's a teaching you to suck eggs, comment).

Cheers, D.
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Clem2112 on February 08, 2015, 07:52:21 PM
Haven't seen the latest DSS/Motad replica set up but I know the old BSM exhaust needed no seals as the headers are a close fit and the clamps are integral to the collector.
The clamps DSS sell are readily available elsewhere .... They are stainless steel and give a very strong clamping force.
Just be sure to position the No. 1 clamp so you can tighten it from underneath.
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Frisky on February 08, 2015, 08:20:56 PM
Hi Myford,

If it is the DSS own brand (Motad) exhaust, then you don't need any clamps on the downpipes to collector box at all. They are simply push fit and you should notice that there are no "slits" in the collector box for tightening up.

Only the No1 cylinder pipe has a clamp on the collector box and that is all that holds the system together at the front end and the silencer clamp holds it together at the rear.

Depending your silencer, you will need a fibre washer and clamp on that of course

Hope this helps

Frisky
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Chris400F on February 08, 2015, 10:29:49 PM
Hi Myford,

I'll go along with the previous two posts - there are no seals or clamps where the pipes enter the collector box.
There is a seal and clamp at the other end of the collector, where the silencer fits.
I liaised with DSS when I bought my exhaust, to make sure I got all the right bits. I made a list of what I thought I needed,
the only thing I'd missed was the stand stop rubber (not in DSS parts list).
Slightly annoyingly I still had to buy bolts to fit the silencer to the new bracket I also bought, but you can't have everything!

Chris
Title: Re: D/S repro exhaust
Post by: Myford on February 09, 2015, 12:35:08 PM
Thanks for the advice guys.
I've modified my order this morning to suit. Saved a bit on clamps!
Terry