Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on February 09, 2015, 11:16:42 AM
-
Hi Chaps.
Attached photo of my down pipes and collector box. I don't know enough to know if they are original (I doubt it) or whose replica they are. When I took them apart the two seperate pipes were pushed well into the collector box, with the clamp tightened up around them. But, there were never any 'packings' in situ only some exhaust compound. Do I need part number 18391-375-000 x 2 or something else?. As you can see by pic the collector box tubes have slits in them.
Ta in advance
Julie
-
Your down pipes, collector and clamps look original and in good condition. Result.
Exhaust compound would have been a PO bodge and given the thickness of the gaskets (yes I used the DSS repro ones) unlikely to seal I would have thought.
-
You can also check if your down pipes are double-skinned at the engine end.
1) the metal folds round to a noticeable distance away from the outer as you look down the pipe
2) they are not blue ;)
I only know of the DSS/Motad system as an alternative and it joints all four pipes at the collector.
-
Looks like I have had a result then Tom, definately double skinned and not blue. The silencer def not original, it's a Brituro, which if I think back many years ago, I also had on one of my Bonnie's. OK I will buy the packings x 2
Thanks
-
Hi Julie,
Ditto Tom. I have had my original system re-chromed and ordered packing 'gaskets' from DSS for pipes 1 and 3 (or is that 2 & 4?) plus another to connect the collector box to the silencer.
I haven't fitted them yet but hope to be doing so this coming weekend and will update if I learn anything useful (although you'll probably be well ahead of me by then).
Cheers, D.
-
Hi Julie,
Ditto Tom. I have had my original system re-chromed and ordered packing 'gaskets' from DSS for pipes 1 and 3 (or is that 2 & 4?) plus another to connect the collector box to the silencer.
I haven't fitted them yet but hope to be doing so this coming weekend and will update if I learn anything useful (although you'll probably be well ahead of me by then).
Cheers, D.
I doubt it Drew, normal life unfortunately going to get in the way of progress on the bike this week. I have got a new packer for collector box to silencer. Keep me posted if you learn anything that may be useful to me, which will be just about everything I expect !!!
Julie :-*