Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: royhall on February 11, 2015, 07:14:32 PM
-
Hi. Been looking through the site for information about carb fitting but not finding what I'm after.
I have been advised by a few people to use sealant on the rubbers when fitting the carbs. Personally I have never done this, but that said I have had a few air leaks in the past so maybe its a good idea. I should also say, the rubbers are soft and undamaged.
What's the thoughts of the forum, sealant or no sealant, and indeed what type of sealant?
Cheers all!
-
IF the rubbers are ok should be alright without sealant, i am not sure which sealant would be ok, perhaps a very high melting point grease would be better, just a thought
pete
-
I always use the thin stainless steel hose clips and have never had a problem they look quite good fitted also.
Ron
-
Ron. Where did you get your hose clips. Managed to get some 9mm stainless wormdrive clips, but ended up with multiple air leaks so was going to revert to the originals (although they look a bit old). Any ideas? Cheers
-
Royhall, got mine at Stigs Stainless :- http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Tridon-brand-hose-clips-8mm-width_B22OU9.aspx
Archie
-
Cheers Archie. Got some 9mm ones in stainless already, may give them another go. Think I will use a thin smear of clear silicone this time, may just seal them up a bit better. Should be okay its supposed to be heat and petrol resistant, plus it should just roll off the rubbers if I need to take them off again. Somebody told me to use Hondabond, but that's just going to make a mess that probably wont clean off. Thoughts anybody. Thanks all. Roy.
-
Cheers Archie. Got some 9mm ones in stainless already, may give them another go. Think I will use a thin smear of clear silicone this time, may just seal them up a bit better. Should be okay its supposed to be heat and petrol resistant, plus it should just roll off the rubbers if I need to take them off again. Somebody told me to use Hondabond, but that's just going to make a mess that probably wont clean off. Thoughts anybody. Thanks all. Roy.
I would advise not to use sealant, if the rubbers are hard try warming, but if too hard best to replace or you can try one of the various techniques for softening (I use a xylene and wintergreen soak for 24hrs)