Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Drew400 on February 14, 2015, 05:29:49 PM

Title: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: Drew400 on February 14, 2015, 05:29:49 PM
Hi all,

I have yet to refit my original exhaust and DSS replica silencer back on the bike and have this quick question before attempting to...

DSS sell a silencer bracket (see: https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/graphics/parts/18353377610P_1_large.jpg). However, there wasn't one when I dismantled the bike and I can't find that part listed in my parts catalogue.

Naturally, I'm reluctant to buy a part (and pay the dreaded postage) if it's superfluous to my needs.

My 400 is a footrest on the swing arm type (if that's significant).

Thank you,

D.

Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: tom400f on February 14, 2015, 05:48:50 PM
How was your silencer held on then, Drew? The bracket on the bottom (which also holds the main stand rubber) has the captive nuts vertically orientated. That hanger bolts to holes in the frame and you'll need one.
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: tom400f on February 14, 2015, 06:10:26 PM
Oh just read you have the swinging arm foot rests. Not sure. Picture of the frame may be?
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: martin_uk on February 14, 2015, 06:14:54 PM
Depends on how good you are at fabrication.

Here is an original

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7432/16343073429_3a6d071976_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qUbwm6)2014_1214partstosell0024 (https://flic.kr/p/qUbwm6) by nitram2010 (https://www.flickr.com/people/46578358@N07/), on Flickr

(https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7449/16343077929_5c7ba4970e_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/qUbxFF)2014_1214partstosell0023 (https://flic.kr/p/qUbxFF) by nitram2010 (https://www.flickr.com/people/46578358@N07/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: Nurse Julie on February 14, 2015, 06:46:13 PM
And this is what it looks like on the silencer showing the main stand rubber also
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 14, 2015, 06:59:32 PM
Mine is an early footpegs on swinging arm (9/75) will check.

Ash
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 14, 2015, 07:12:24 PM
Bloody 'ell that took me back to 1986.. you don't need the separate bracket .. mine is on a bracket welded to the frame loop on my 9/75 bike and its a new (well in 1986!) Honda standard exhaust and the frame was never modified.

Ash
Title: Exhaust silencer bracket - do I need it?
Post by: Lobo on February 15, 2015, 07:23:03 AM
Hi Drew,

The bracket is only applicable to frame numbers after 1056883; and to bikes imported to England, Europe Direct, France, Germany & Sweden.... ie the later European frames with the loops.

Ie, as said, yours doesn't need the bracket (part #62 in the diagram)

Cheers,
Simon
Title: Re: Exhaust Silencer Bracket, do I need to buy one?
Post by: Drew400 on February 15, 2015, 09:18:55 AM
Thanks Simon and all,

My frame number is 1044... so I will carry on with confidence.

Great this forum, isn't it?!

Cheers,

D.