Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: FATAL on October 08, 2006, 12:25:32 PM

Title: steering head bearings
Post by: FATAL on October 08, 2006, 12:25:32 PM
has anyone used the tapered roller bearings to replace the standard loose bearings and cups?
 Were they easy to fit?
Any noticeable improvement in handling?
Title: Re:steering head bearings
Post by: JonnyB on October 09, 2006, 07:47:33 AM
One of the first jobs I do is always replace the steering head bearings,

There will be an improvement because your fitting new bearings.

The 'git' to change is the front wheel bearing, and getting that soft alloy bearing retainer out.:blink:

Post edited by: JonnyB, at: 2006/10/09 07:55
Title: Re:steering head bearings
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 09, 2006, 05:35:43 PM
I've put in taper roller bearings on every sohc I've owned (that's about 6 now...)
It's a very simple job - just follow the instructions.
Title: Re: steering head bearings
Post by: Nerdos on December 17, 2013, 12:06:08 PM
I am in the position of having to fit some tapered bearings to my 750K3.  As memory serves I had to do this on my CB400Four and I either didn't use the spacer when I should have or did fit it when I shouldn't have.  Either way I ballsed it up and ended up knackering the lower bearing getting it off to remembered my mistake.

Now I have my set from David Silver with some instructions which almost make sense except they say not to fit the spacer if <insert some seamingly random letters and numbers here>.  Has anyone fitted a set from DSS recently to a CB750?  If so, do we need the spacer supplied and do we also need the thin, Honda-supplied one too.

Cheers,
Paul.