Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 05:24:04 PM

Title: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 05:24:04 PM
Was looking at my engine hanger bolts today, and I think the lower long bolt has been replaced with an incorrect size by the P.O. 
What I have is a bolt that is 380 mm long including the bolt head, 366 mm long without the head, and 12 mm wide.  It seems far too long, and had a massive spacer on it previously that I can't see in the diagrams from CMSNL.  It also seems sloppy in the mounting holes, like it should be a thicker bolt.

Can anyone tell me what the actual dimensions should be for a 1977 F2?
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 21, 2015, 05:53:29 PM
Was looking at my engine hanger bolts today, and I think the lower long bolt has been replaced with an incorrect size by the P.O. 
What I have is a bolt that is 380 mm long including the bolt head, 366 mm long without the head, and 12 mm wide.  It seems far too long, and had a massive spacer on it previously that I can't see in the diagrams from CMSNL.  It also seems sloppy in the mounting holes, like it should be a thicker bolt.

Can anyone tell me what the actual dimensions should be for a 1977 F2?

It is too long because the foot pegs go on the ends. The package arrived today. The grinding paste was a free sample, you should of kept it.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 05:55:43 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 05:57:45 PM
Was looking at my engine hanger bolts today, and I think the lower long bolt has been replaced with an incorrect size by the P.O. 
What I have is a bolt that is 380 mm long including the bolt head, 366 mm long without the head, and 12 mm wide.  It seems far too long, and had a massive spacer on it previously that I can't see in the diagrams from CMSNL.  It also seems sloppy in the mounting holes, like it should be a thicker bolt.

Can anyone tell me what the actual dimensions should be for a 1977 F2?

It is too long because the foot pegs go on the ends. The package arrived today. The grinding paste was a free sample, you should of kept it.
I've been in contact with Tina - hope you get some kickbacks for giving her all the info for my fasteners!
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 21, 2015, 06:19:21 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 06:23:00 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 21, 2015, 06:33:52 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.

I can not comment on the size as i have non laying about. The mounts on the rear of your engine at the back should be two different sizes, the top one being a smaller diameter than the bottom ?
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 21, 2015, 07:33:21 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.

I can not comment on the size as i have non laying about. The mounts on the rear of your engine at the back should be two different sizes, the top one being a smaller diameter than the bottom ?
Top is definitely smaller, it's 10mm diameter.  Will wait to see if anyone has a measurement for me.  :)
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 22, 2015, 01:37:43 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.

I can not comment on the size as i have non laying about. The mounts on the rear of your engine at the back should be two different sizes, the top one being a smaller diameter than the bottom ?
This could explain some of the sloppiness.  Not exactly round anymore...
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/4e746064c88b3a800738a4636d3c45d8.jpg)
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 22, 2015, 01:52:29 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.

I can not comment on the size as i have non laying about. The mounts on the rear of your engine at the back should be two different sizes, the top one being a smaller diameter than the bottom ?
This could explain some of the sloppiness.  Not exactly round anymore...
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/4e746064c88b3a800738a4636d3c45d8.jpg)

Nice, never seen that on a engine mount before. On the side stand mount many times. Looks like someone did not have his bolts tight or drilled it because he/she could not get it lined up right.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 22, 2015, 01:53:36 PM
Glad you got the package on time.  I looked at the width of the foot pegs, still seems long, and cant figure what the spacer is for.  I know theres a small 10mm spacer on the inside, but this is about 50mm wide!  Is 12mm the correct diameter?

You should have two long hanger bolts. 1 for the top that has a spacer that is a strange shape with two flanges. The bottom bolt also has a spacer. The spacers are 4 and 5  http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f2-super-sport-550-four-1977-england_model17121/partslist/F26.html#results
Yep, got both of those, plus another one, larger than either of those, and looks like it was just made out of some scrap aluminium bar.

You know if 12mm is the right diameter for the bolt?  As I'm scrapping the foot pegs, I know I'll need a different length, but want to get the right thickness.  12mm just feels sloppy.

I can not comment on the size as i have non laying about. The mounts on the rear of your engine at the back should be two different sizes, the top one being a smaller diameter than the bottom ?
This could explain some of the sloppiness.  Not exactly round anymore...
(http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/22/4e746064c88b3a800738a4636d3c45d8.jpg)

Nice, never seen that on a engine mount before. On the side stand mount many times. Looks like someone did not have his bolts tight or drilled it because he/she could not get it lined up right.
Will get that cleaned up properly before powder coat.   Another job on the list. 
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 22, 2015, 02:31:42 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
 
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 22, 2015, 02:32:12 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
Yep, both sides.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 22, 2015, 02:36:55 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
Yep, both sides.

That engine was moving about. They will be OK as they are, because the frame mounts pull into the engine when they are tight. Or they can be wielded and re-drilled.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 22, 2015, 02:39:56 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
Yep, both sides.

That engine was moving about. They will be OK as they are, because the frame mounts pull into the engine when they are tight. Or they can be wielded and re-drilled.
May as well weld and re drill, as this is the time when it can be done without issues. 
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: Trigger on February 22, 2015, 02:48:46 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
Yep, both sides.

That engine was moving about. They will be OK as they are, because the frame mounts pull into the engine when they are tight. Or they can be wielded and re-drilled.
May as well weld and re drill, as this is the time when it can be done without issues.

Off the top of my head i think the hole is 1mm to 1.5mm over the bolt size.
Title: Re: Have I found a bodge job?
Post by: JustcallmeMrT on February 22, 2015, 02:56:40 PM
Is it on both sides ? As in is the opposite mount the same
Yep, both sides.

That engine was moving about. They will be OK as they are, because the frame mounts pull into the engine when they are tight. Or they can be wielded and re-drilled.
May as well weld and re drill, as this is the time when it can be done without issues.

Off the top of my head i think the hole is 1mm to 1.5mm over the bolt size.
That would make sense - checked the mount in the engine and it was about 13.5mm and the bolt is 11mm.

Thanks Trig