Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Peter_plade on February 24, 2015, 02:11:05 PM

Title: Difference between exhaust pipes
Post by: Peter_plade on February 24, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
I bought a couple of used right side exhausts for my 76 550, but noticed that they weren't 100% identical.
If I look in the end of the pipes, the 2 left ones that is original to the bike has a center hole and smaller holes around it, the 2 right side only has the center hole. Why is that? And does make any difference?
Title: Re: Difference between exhaust pipes
Post by: Johnwebley on February 24, 2015, 03:13:07 PM
if you look at the top pic,the added holes are not uniform,and appear to have been added by the
previous owner
Title: Re: Difference between exhaust pipes
Post by: Peter_plade on February 24, 2015, 03:41:50 PM
You are right hadn't noticed that, guess I will have to fire up the welder.
Title: Re: Difference between exhaust pipes
Post by: matthewmosse on February 24, 2015, 06:49:23 PM
I had a mate who used to bodge extra holes like that to 'increase power' by bypassing or destroying the backpressure. I would weld it up if I were you. Might make the bike louder but especially if just done to one could just screw up the jetting and carb balance.