Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: dieffe on February 24, 2015, 02:44:57 PM

Title: K1 speedo
Post by: dieffe on February 24, 2015, 02:44:57 PM
Me again, I knew I would have a shed load of questions.
When I took the clocks off the K1 I noticed that the speedo had something rattling around inside. I thought it might be a loose bulb but when I stripped it , I am changing the face, I found two bracket looking parts floating around and I cannot figure out where they came from, I am guessing some form of light shield or reflector even.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/Speedo1_zps5551d564.jpg)

They are on the right in the picture.

Has anyone any ideas?
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: Green1 on February 24, 2015, 04:04:00 PM
I'm sure they were tacked on the back plate either side of the odo I assume there to stop the face distorting

Mick 
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: dieffe on February 24, 2015, 07:03:16 PM
Thanks Mick, but they are about 5mm too short for that and there's no sign of any tack weld or glue or anything.
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: Trigger on February 24, 2015, 07:15:08 PM
If you look at the clock back plate you will see the other bit to the bulb shades. It will have 2 rivets with a cross pattern on them. These snap due to vibration on the fold.
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on February 24, 2015, 08:30:29 PM
Remember seeing something like that on later clocks they were in front off the bulbs I thought they were for reflecting the bulbs to light up the whole gauage maybe wrong dunno.
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: Trigger on February 24, 2015, 08:37:54 PM
Remember seeing something like that on later clocks they were in front off the bulbs I thought they were for reflecting the bulbs to light up the whole gauage maybe wrong dunno.
Cheers
Bitsa

They are to stop the heat from the bulb and because they are zinc plated they work as a reflective plate mate.
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: dieffe on February 24, 2015, 11:21:49 PM
Thanks you lot, that's brilliant. Heat protectors that have broken off from here.

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/IMG_1465_zpscojwoc5a.jpg)


I imagine that they should be like this?

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/dieffe123/Bikes/IMG_1464_zpswf62e1mw.jpg)


All I need to do now is fix them back in. That will be fun.  ::)

Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 24, 2015, 11:59:56 PM
The attached is a shi**y shot of a K0 speedo. Same bracket.
I do have a micro spot welder  but you would have to drill out the rivets and send it to me if you want it micro welding. Have some small nuts and bolts in stainless/s to reattach it

Its one of these ...

 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-V-800-A-0-1-1-0-Mm-new-Micro-computer-1PC-Pulse-Spot-Welder-Battery-Charger-/111573502963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fa4c8bf3

Ash

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: dieffe on February 25, 2015, 12:15:16 AM
I do have a micro spot welder  but you would have to drill out the rivets and send it to me if you want it micro welding. Have some small nuts and bolts in stainless/s to reattach it
Ash
Thanks Ash, that is good of you.
I am going to have a bash at making some new ones and fitting them but if that goes tits up I will give you a shout.
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: Trigger on February 25, 2015, 07:22:58 AM
I do have a micro spot welder  but you would have to drill out the rivets and send it to me if you want it micro welding. Have some small nuts and bolts in stainless/s to reattach it
Ash
Thanks Ash, that is good of you.
I am going to have a bash at making some new ones and fitting them but if that goes tits up I will give you a shout.

Very easy to make new ones out of alloy plate that is a lot stronger and will not snap with the vibration.
Title: Re: K1 speedo
Post by: AshimotoK0 on February 25, 2015, 07:43:19 AM
Or Stainless that can be polished to make a better reflector.