Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: andut on March 04, 2015, 06:55:30 PM

Title: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: andut on March 04, 2015, 06:55:30 PM
More advice please !

I'm renewing fork seals as part of my rebuild and having struggled to remove the RHS fork seal, I can now see why from the attached photo.  Seal appears to have been glued in , and covered up some prior abuse !

There are a few deep gouges into the machined seal facing sufaces of the ally casting.  I can dress the edges of the damage to remove sharp edges, but am I wasting my time ?  Looks serious to me, but this is all new to me !  Can this be reworked, or am I looking at replacing teh case ?  - any advice greatly received !

Thanks in advance !

Andy
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on March 04, 2015, 07:17:17 PM
Got any pics they speak a 1000 words
Cheers
Bitsa
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: andut on March 04, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
Sorry - thought I'd attached an image - should be below - fingers crossed !

(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8651/16716918615_b12fa03ac7_m.jpg)

Andy
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on March 04, 2015, 07:30:20 PM
Great
Yer hannibel has had a go mate.If it were me would rub in down gently clean it up the best I could get it and fit a new seal.If the seal falls in no resistance get another outside gator hides most
B O L
Bitsa
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: andut on March 04, 2015, 08:36:14 PM
I'll try clean it up and see what happens !

Any advice for fitting new seals ?  Use the old seals and a large 'fine adjustment tool' ?
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on March 04, 2015, 08:40:04 PM
If you have the old seals to hand yes always use them to knock in the new.The new ones should give a bit of resistance but not like riveting the titanic.Try a bit of grease and ease them in not hard.
B O L
Bitsa
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: Bryanj on March 05, 2015, 06:48:16 AM
If the gouges are deep silicone sealant will fill them and works 95% of the time
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: Drew400 on March 05, 2015, 08:19:22 AM
Hi Andy,

If you end up needing a replacement leg, try Steve at http://www.400fourbits.co.uk/

I started a renovation nearly 18 months ago (gulp!) and, after buying lots of new stuff from David Silver, I discovered Steve and have since saved money on second hand items when new are not needed.

Good luck,

D.
Title: Re: Fork Seal - Damage to Case
Post by: andut on March 05, 2015, 08:38:36 AM
Thanks Drew !  I sent Steve an email last night about a fork leg he has for sale - I'll try  to rescue mine first and will no doubt end up buying another one !

Andy