Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: NigelWilmshurst on March 16, 2015, 01:31:38 PM

Title: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on March 16, 2015, 01:31:38 PM
Hi everybody, I'm Nigel, from Heathfield East Sussex, joined a short while back, thought I would share some photo's of my restoration so far, a before photo after rescue from the back of my workshop, I have owned the bike since 1989, it's part of my soul!!! looking forward to getting her back on the road soon
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: Drew400 on March 16, 2015, 02:33:28 PM
Hi Nigel,

Welcome. You're reminding me of where I was with my 400 about 18 months ago.

There's lots of useful help available c/o forum members.

Good luck bringing the old girl back to life.

Cheers,

D.
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: Green1 on March 16, 2015, 02:51:27 PM
That's on big tank  :o that will be blinding on a sunny day.  ;D

Mick
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on March 16, 2015, 02:58:32 PM
Thanks Drew, I forgot just how many hours it takes to do the job properly, and Mick, I think I better have my shades on if it's sunny, blinding tank!
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: Liam on March 16, 2015, 07:55:08 PM
Welcome!!
Is that a britten tank???  love the alloy! 
I'm "Caffing" my F1 as well.  I'll post some pictures  at some point but at the moment it's just bits having just picked up my frame from the powder coaters…  Who did an exceedingly good job (I think).
Just fabricating the plug for the fibreglass seat mould (which is interesting and taking a lot of evenings up!) as I had a nightmare sourcing one.  Hopefully this one will fit!
Anyway - good luck with the build and keep us posted.
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on March 17, 2015, 10:11:20 AM
Hi Liam,
The tank I think is a one off, I can't find another tank like it anywhere on Google, it's made for the bike as it fits very well, what do you mean by fibreglass plug for the seat? a good tip for your rebuild is if your coating any aluminium parts always use an etch primer to allow the paint to key properly, i rebuilt this F1 about 20 years ago, all the coatings have lasted well except the aluminium, i didn't use an etch primer, blast clean, powder coat or 2k wet spray, no hammerite or aerosols in my workshop, send some pictures when your build gets going, i have some F1 spares if you need any.
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: JamesH on March 17, 2015, 10:53:29 AM
Hi Nigel. I'm just down the road in Brighton. Don't suppose you have a spare F1 rear wheel hub that you'd part with?
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on March 17, 2015, 11:09:36 AM
Hi Jamesh,
Unfortunately i don't, there is a jap bike importer in Brighton with a lot of bikes for sale at his shop, you probably know him already, he has a couple of complete F1's, he might have a spare back wheel, i will dig his number out if you need it.
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: JamesH on March 17, 2015, 11:38:18 AM
Yeah I know Neil @ Triad - don't think he has spares but will drop in an see him. Good idea, thanks, James.
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: Liam on March 18, 2015, 08:11:54 PM
I'm attempting to make a fibreglass seat…  So its Plug - carved solid from foam or timber - fibreglass the "plug" to make a mould and then make the seat…  we'll see how it goes.  ref alloy.  I've stripped it all alloy parts and polishing, got my work cut out!  Cheers for the advice.  I'm going to have to get a heater for the garage I think!
Title: Re: Rebuild of my F1
Post by: NigelWilmshurst on March 19, 2015, 09:29:57 AM
I got it, the plug is the mould! always better if you can make a one off seat for your bike, loads of extra work but you get what you want, bling that aluminium...