Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: royhall on March 19, 2015, 04:29:25 PM

Title: Royhall's 350F Rebuild Thread
Post by: royhall on March 19, 2015, 04:29:25 PM

Hi all.

As the 750F2 is all but finished, thought I would start a new project.

It arrived today and it's hard to believe the true horror of it all.

After the 750 going from scrapper to pristine I cant believe I'm doing it all again. Don't know a single thing about the CB350F so will be back again as a regular bothering the hell out of everybody, so thanks in advance.

Have posted some photo's so you to can live the nightmare that is my new baby (money pit).

Cheers.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: tom400f on March 19, 2015, 04:42:31 PM
Doesn't look all *that* bad.... but those bars have to go!
Title: Re: New project
Post by: hairygit on March 19, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
I've seen far worse, and at insane prices! Good luck with it, and whilst being as expensive as a baby, if you get fed up you can shut it in the garage/shed etc and forget it for a while without social services banging on the door! :))
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Orcade-Ian on March 19, 2015, 06:17:46 PM
Mine was quite a bit worse than yours but all good now.  Lots of parts the same as 400/4 and plenty of stuff around the web, some at reasonable prices and others like 750 stuff.
Full repro exhausts available and I think, a better bike than the 400 in many respects.  Keep us all informed of your progress from time to time and shout if you need help/info,
Ian
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 19, 2015, 06:57:17 PM
Thanks guys. Will be a while before I start on it as I have a Triumph on the lift at the moment. Am going to start collecting bits asap so I'm ready when I start. See I'm learning. Thought I might keep the superb handlebars though.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Orcade-Ian on March 19, 2015, 07:48:19 PM
Hello again,
Strange that you have a Triumph on the lift, I've got a 350 Featherbed Norton on mine and it's stopping me from getting on with proper bikes!  I've started to hate Brit stuff, nothing ever fits properly and they are almost impossible to put together without scratching the paintwork, I hardly ever have that problem with Japanese bikes.  Are you going to paint it in the same colour?
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 19, 2015, 07:59:57 PM
Yep going to try to keep it as stock as possible.

The reg doc (Ohio) says the bikes a 74 but its not an F1 just an F. So going to go down the dating letter route so I can wriggle out of taxing it. It must be a 72/73 manufactured.

Got started again on the Triumph 500 Adventurer, that I last touched 21 years ago, out of guilt really. It will give me time to collect the Honda bits that I need. That was the biggest frustration with the 750, constantly being stopped whilst I sourced parts.

On that subject, does anybody have a cache of unused CB350F bits for sale?
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 20, 2015, 11:07:11 AM
Cheers James. Think the front forks are good on mine. Could do with a set of headlamp ears though, mine are dented. Also, was just reading about your exhausts on another thread. Spooky. How much are you looking for them, budgets a bit tight right now as the Triumph is costing more than expected (what a surprise eh). Thanks.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 20, 2015, 12:02:19 PM
May be able to sort something with you there James. What make are the exhausts? Are they exact replicas in good nick. Cheers.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 20, 2015, 05:48:24 PM
That would be great James, thanks.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 21, 2015, 02:22:30 PM
James, just a thought. Does the exhaust come as a complete kit, as mine has a rusted 4 into 1 so the hangers etc are missing. Or are they available to buy. Cheers.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: Tiny Tim on March 21, 2015, 08:08:49 PM
Hi Roy,

Looks like we're starting a 350 project at the same time. Will be interesting to compare progress and problems. Good luck with it.

Tim
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 22, 2015, 10:43:21 AM
Same to you Tim.

Wont be starting mine until the end of autumn though so you may get way ahead. Selfishly, that may be good for me as I can avoid your pitfalls. ;D

Have got a 500 Triumph on the lift at the moment that's going to take most of the summer. So I'm starting collecting bits and pieces ready for the build. May even get the paintwork redone and perhaps some chroming whilst its just sitting there.

Anyway good luck with yours, and if I can help out in any way just give me a shout.

Cheers.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 27, 2015, 04:46:13 PM
James. Are we still on for a deal on the exhausts and headlamp ears. Cheers Roy.
Title: Re: New project
Post by: royhall on March 28, 2015, 07:32:30 AM
James.

Was browsing the web last night and up popped somebody selling off a brand new set of pipes for the CB350F that they bought for a project that got sold on. This appears to be a common theme. Couldn't sleep for thinking about it, so got up early to try to to do a deal.

He was also selling a full service kit he got from DSS, along with all the clamps and brackets for the exhausts and a few other brand new parts.

Made him an offer and he sold me the lot for less than £500 and that includes Paypal's cut. Now that's what I call the bargain of the week.

I realise that I may have upset you James, as we were potentially doing a deal. But I just had to grab them whilst they were there. So sorry for that.

I do still want to buy the headlamp ears off you though if your not p****d off with me.

Cheers Roy.