Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 03:55:57 PM

Title: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 03:55:57 PM
Well the gold bike broke a weld about 3 years ago finally got around to stripping it.It would be great if I could get it sorted asap as Iv only the Easter break to play with it and I'm planning on giving it to my dad so we can ride down to the upcoming meet together.
Is there anyone out there that fancies welding my frame?The centre tube is as good as scrap as its squashed and both welds have broke. 
Anybodies help much appreciated.  :)

Mick

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/main%20stand%20052_zps6rfztpnw.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/main%20stand%20052_zps6rfztpnw.jpg.html)

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/main%20stand%20051_zpszibotxft.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/main%20stand%20051_zpszibotxft.jpg.html)

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/main%20stand%20050_zpsaupfdr2f.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/main%20stand%20050_zpsaupfdr2f.jpg.html)

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/main%20stand%20049_zpssoa4hese.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/main%20stand%20049_zpssoa4hese.jpg.html)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: JamesH on April 04, 2015, 04:12:02 PM
Mick - it may be worth visiting these guys...

http://www.motoliner.com/
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 04:26:21 PM
What's the chance they will be open over Easter.
It only need someone a bit decent with a welder hint,hint  ;) ;)

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Bitsa (Ralph Wright - RIP) on April 04, 2015, 06:54:20 PM
Mick
Doubt if you will get it done that quick but do recommend motoliner did a great job on my suzuki forks mate
All the luck
Ralph
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2015, 08:58:02 PM
Mick, the center stand bar needs to be sorted on that frame. Looks bent in the picture.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 09:02:37 PM
Its not only bent its twisted

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Tiny Tim on April 04, 2015, 09:05:44 PM
A mate of mine has just had his crash damaged FZ6 repaired ay Motorliner. He is extremely pleased with the end result.
Might be worth a call.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2015, 09:08:30 PM
Its not only bent its twisted

Mick

Mick, it maybe cheaper just to look for another frame. Just been scanning the pictures, a lot of work  :'(
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 09:17:14 PM
Only problem with that trig as soon as you say k1 prices go stupid.

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2015, 09:28:34 PM
Only problem with that trig as soon as you say k1 prices go stupid.

Mick

It looks like you will be spending the rest of the weekend stripping it to the frame then. At least you will know it is straight and then you can get it painted. 
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 09:38:54 PM
Wouldn't I be better of keeping it as a rolling frame so the new tube is welded in the right place?
I realized something wasn't right when it was on the centre stand and both wheels touched the floor.

Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2015, 09:49:29 PM
Wouldn't I be better of keeping it as a rolling frame so the new tube is welded in the right place?
I realized something wasn't right when it was on the centre stand and both wheels touched the floor.

Any place that straightens frames, needs to put it in a jig. So, they will only want the frame and possibly the arm.
Did it spring when you removed the engine ?   
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: JamesH on April 04, 2015, 09:55:21 PM
Mick, give motoliner a call on Tuesday and talk it through with them. I'm confident they're the best place for you and like the guys have said at least you'll know the frame is 100% sorted then. I think you can book it in with them for a same day service so long as you agree in advance. Gutting I know, but given the value of the bike it's worth the investment...
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on April 04, 2015, 09:58:37 PM
Mick, i have had solid cross bar put in before to stop it from bending. James is right, no sort cuts or it will only bite you back  ;)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 09:59:10 PM
I think the frame is perfect the engine just fell out.It hasn't been ridden since it bust.
When I lifted it onto the stand the weld on the left broke due to the tube rusting.With the weight of the bike on it it squashed the tube and rolled forward on the stand until it tore the other weld.

James I will call them and see what they say

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 04, 2015, 10:45:52 PM
Mick, I could weld that for you but I'd be pretty confident that it would most likely pull the welds apart again when using the centre stand as the tube ends don't have much structural material to hold onto with the stand trying to rotate it.
Motoliner jigs are usually used for hydraulically bending a crash damaged frame back into the correct alignment and geometry, you'd need somone that offers structural repair as well as this service.
It looks like this tube is of a thinner wall guage than the main frame rails and would benefit from being remade in the same section as the those to improve it's integrity, the welds would also be stronger when welding two tubes of the same section I think. Failing that you'd have to consider some sort of web/gusset to stop the tube twisting if you used the original.
It's not all bad though as that tube does just about naff all for frame structure, it's really just there to hold the stand so if you wanted to run it for a while you can just remove the stand and ride it. Most of the load is taken by the two engine mounts which are above and below the swingarm pivot and when properly torqued give all the support that is needed.
You could delay the repair until after the summer runout when you'd get more time to get a good and permanent repair and repaint the frame if you wanted to.

Nigel.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 11:11:13 PM
I think your right Nigel It doesn't do anything structurally as its right behind the lower engine mounts.
Would it be possible to cut it out and weld a slightly larger diameter tube over the ends to give you something to work with?

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 04, 2015, 11:33:12 PM
If you cut it out then you'd just get a bigger gap between the tubes for the weld to bridge which is not good structurally but i see what you mean (i think you are saying to sleeve over the two ends to in effect give two new tube ends?) but thnking along those lines it might be better to bring the  tube back into correct alignment and reweld then overlay the two ends with a half tube which is scalloped round the frame rails to give a decent weld area and stitch weld to the stand tube which could be done without removal.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 04, 2015, 11:45:32 PM
I don't suppose you fancy giving it a go I can't weld for toffee.  ;)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 05, 2015, 12:11:20 AM
I've got nothing in the way of any additional tubing or suitable steel plate but that aside I'm ok to weld it, have you got or can get any tubing?
If you look on the bottom of many of the moto-X bike frames they do a similar thing as stock and in effect use a short sleeve to increase the joint strength.
let us know if you've got anything suitable.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 05, 2015, 12:20:46 AM
I'm pretty sure I haven't got anything
I will go on the scrounge tomorrow the neighbours push bike looks promising. ;D

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 05, 2015, 12:25:02 AM
I'll have a look again tomorrow to make sure there's nothing suitable that I've forgotten and check here to see where we are.

Nigel.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 05, 2015, 12:30:10 AM
Sounds like a plan happy hunting.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 05, 2015, 10:48:29 AM
Drawn a bit of a blank on anything suitable.......looking for tube with a wall thickness of about 1mm.........that would be able to take a good weld and effectively cover the fracture part of the original tube so it shouldn't go the same way as original.

Welding is ok to go but as originally said it needs more material to make it work.

let me know if you've got anything otherwise I may be able to scource something during the week, I know you are trying to get it done this weekend but if you can't then we can try for another day.

Nigel.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 05, 2015, 11:27:53 AM
I too have been scratching my head trying to find something.
Totally forgot its my granddads birthday today so I can't do anything today anyway.On the plus side he's been hoarding for the last 94 years so he may have something.

Mick   
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 06, 2015, 07:59:20 PM
Bugger couldn't find anything suitable.
The bike will have to wait now.  :(

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: K2-K6 on April 07, 2015, 06:53:32 PM
Apologies for the delay in replying Mick just bee busy with my kids as they're on holiday, did take them out yesterday and mugged them into letting me stop at the local bike meet though and showed my son a nice H1 kawasaki that was there, also three 400/4 Hondas seen out in one day!
I've still got no tube of any use, In the past i've had quite a bit of stuff around from cars and bikes but although i've got most of my kit at my house there's still a bit of a stash at my dad's place and I'm over there tomorrow so will see what's what.
I don't mind doing the frame if it fits with your schedule but I'll not want to delay you if you can get somebody with better availability than I can offer.
I guess it's a reflection of having a family that the garage I thought I had to myself for proper bike stuff is substantionally full of things like a tumble dryer, various sizes of bicycle, assorted pogo sticks, stilts! and unknown quantities of micro scooters in differents states of broken.
Nigel.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 07, 2015, 10:59:55 PM
Not a problem I don't know when I can play with the bike next.Back to working 7 days  :(
Sounds like you had a decent day anyway.

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on April 29, 2015, 11:35:21 PM
I'v been tripping over the engine all week so decided to leave the frame with a local engineering firm.No idea what its going to cost but at least something is happening now.  :-[   
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: UK Pete on April 30, 2015, 07:28:27 AM
Let us know how you get on mick
pete
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 21, 2015, 10:06:03 PM
A little progress picked the frame up a couple of days ago they cut the tube out completely and replaced it with new.They quoted possibly £200+ and then phoned me back four hours later saying it was easier than expected and charged me £160  :) So one happy bunny
Photos to follow when I find the time to go out into the garage.

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: UK Pete on May 22, 2015, 07:06:53 AM
Well done mick, did the heat from welding do much damage to the surrounding paint
pete
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 22, 2015, 07:41:02 PM
It crazed it a little but it doesn't matter as I was planning to paint it anyway.
Just got to find the time to paint it now.  ::)
Mick

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/cb750%20stand%20welds%20014_zpsq1o43yqv.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/cb750%20stand%20welds%20014_zpsq1o43yqv.jpg.html)

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/cb750%20stand%20welds%20011_zpsvbocr1ct.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/cb750%20stand%20welds%20011_zpsvbocr1ct.jpg.html)

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/cb750%20stand%20welds%20010_zpstccmrnqp.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/cb750%20stand%20welds%20010_zpstccmrnqp.jpg.html)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 25, 2015, 06:36:14 PM
Not wishing to worry you but the left hand side looks cracked already to me.

Na not cracked just had a good look just a bit pants looking a bit of black paint and no one will know.  ;)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on May 25, 2015, 08:49:37 PM
A little progress picked the frame up a couple of days ago they cut the tube out completely and replaced it with new.They quoted possibly £200+ and then phoned me back four hours later saying it was easier than expected and charged me £160  :) So one happy bunny
Photos to follow when I find the time to go out into the garage.

Mick

How much  :'( :'( :'(
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 25, 2015, 09:08:45 PM
I know but its better than no frame at all.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on May 25, 2015, 09:10:37 PM
I know but its better than no frame at all.

Very true mick ;)  At least it all works and the job is a good one
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 25, 2015, 09:15:32 PM
lets hope so the last thing I need is the weld to bust once the engine is back in.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on May 25, 2015, 09:59:07 PM
Did they replace the cross member that the stand brackets are welded to ? The last one i did we used a solid metal bar so it would not bend again.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 25, 2015, 10:06:15 PM
Yep all new the old one was wafer thin I think its a  hollow tube though. 
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on May 25, 2015, 10:20:37 PM
Yep all new the old one was wafer thin I think its a  hollow tube though.

Just don't sit on the bike when its on the center stand  ;D ;D
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on May 25, 2015, 10:29:53 PM
I'm sure it will be fine I'm no fat yank I don't think I even weigh 10 stone.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: RGP750 on May 26, 2015, 07:03:19 AM
Took my k0 frame to motoliner on Friday to have the stand tube sorted,i think the "fat yank" must have been
huge judging by the bend in the tube.
They have a really bad frame from someone in Aberdeen (any one on here) they were
happy to have mine there for reference as the other one has been cut and shut. and looks
odd somewhere.
Didn't get a quote just seem nice Guys and said "we don't rob anyone you will be happy" so
i'll let you know when it comes back.
Rich
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 15, 2015, 08:30:19 PM
Well I'm on a role I managed to get the engine in today.  :)

Mick

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/progress%20002_zpsrgh8wwgl.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/progress%20002_zpsrgh8wwgl.jpg.html)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: steff750 on July 15, 2015, 09:44:13 PM
 ;) dont rush it looking good
that is my problem i cant wait to get things up and running,i will need to strip a couple of my bikes again this winter because i couldn't wait ,jobs like valve guides pistons rings timing chains clutch,but i do enjoy it good theropy for my drinking,its just that I'm getting that i prefer riding them than working on them when the weather is like today
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: UK Pete on July 15, 2015, 10:30:01 PM
Nice one mick, did you lift it in or lay the bike over the engine
pete
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 15, 2015, 10:35:43 PM
I laid the bike over with the wheels and mudguards still attached.As it was a last Min decision to do it.
It was fookin heavy  ::) 

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 15, 2015, 10:39:05 PM
;) dont rush it looking good
that is my problem i cant wait to get things up and running,i will need to strip a couple of my bikes again this winter because i couldn't wait ,jobs like valve guides pistons rings timing chains clutch,but i do enjoy it good theropy for my drinking,its just that I'm getting that i prefer riding them than working on them when the weather is like today

It looks better in the photos  ::) I would rather be riding it that building it.

Mick
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 15, 2015, 11:01:52 PM
I may have to slow this build down just found a washer on the floor.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 17, 2015, 10:08:26 PM
Finally got the bastards fitted after going for a wash in the dishwasher. ;) I hate fitting carbs they didn't fight me at all.   ::)
Air filter box,headlight shell fitted and mostly wired up

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/SAM_0158_zps7u2citkv.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/SAM_0158_zps7u2citkv.jpg.html)

  (http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/SAM_0159_zpstcue7non.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/SAM_0159_zpstcue7non.jpg.html)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Trigger on July 17, 2015, 11:51:25 PM
Why didn't you just drop them in boiling water to soften them  ;) Never seen a 750 made into a coffee table.
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on July 17, 2015, 11:56:10 PM
I did warm them but they just didn't want to know.
Do you reckon I could keep it indoors if I call it a table  ;)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: csd4t on July 18, 2015, 09:21:02 AM
Crikey that's one of the biggest airboxes I've ever seen!!!
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: MarkCR750 on July 18, 2015, 05:55:51 PM
3 million years of human evolution , those carb rubbers didn't stand a chance! :)
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: UK Pete on July 18, 2015, 06:59:05 PM
nice carb fitting jig , i have seen ratchet ties used as well
pete
Title: Re: It's only taken 3 years
Post by: Green1 on September 06, 2015, 09:22:34 PM
A little progress today I cleared the garage about a week ago to spray 16 radiators for a job I'm on only 2 left now thank god.
Managed to get the Honda's back in :)
The garage looks a little bare at the moment as there's normally 6 bikes 2 go carts and a massive stash off work related crap crammed in.

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/Debingham%20pub%20refurb%20031_zpsc38bugpu.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/Debingham%20pub%20refurb%20031_zpsc38bugpu.jpg.html)

I was happy until I saw this  :'( I hate my job

(http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w419/pearmanandson/Debingham%20pub%20refurb%20032_zpsyrvkpr7u.jpg) (http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/pearmanandson/media/Debingham%20pub%20refurb%20032_zpsyrvkpr7u.jpg.html)