Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: atlsec on April 30, 2015, 03:28:12 PM

Title: Built bike pics
Post by: atlsec on April 30, 2015, 03:28:12 PM
Hi guys ,
             Just a few pics of bikes I have built over the last couple of years . Now my K1 has turned up and is already stripped and the work has started . It`s a pity that the bike had fallen over at some stage (not told about ) and smashed the generator casing . More expense . Never mind as they are very easy to strip down and extremely old school in design but made out of very over engineered metal and everything is heavy . Looking forward to doing this one . Cheers  , Alan .
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: UK Pete on April 30, 2015, 08:17:05 PM
Hi, i love the green gpz750, i have a couple of gpz550 zx  bikes that look almost the same, amazing bikes
pete
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: atlsec on April 30, 2015, 08:31:23 PM
Hi Pete,
             Thanks for the positive remarks , I hope I can do my CB750K1 to the same standard. I do not think however that people realise how much blood sweat and money goes into building these old bikes ,that gpz 750 cost an arm and a leg to do . I suppose we do it for other reasons other than money . I hate to see an old bike go to the knackers yard when it could be re-built . Cheers , Alan .
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: MarkCR750 on May 02, 2015, 05:48:15 PM
Really like the BSA Alan, which model is that?, cheers Mark
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: royhall on May 02, 2015, 06:49:16 PM
Not sure but it could be a Spitfire?
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: UK Pete on May 03, 2015, 02:22:51 PM
Hi Pete,
             Thanks for the positive remarks , I hope I can do my CB750K1 to the same standard. I do not think however that people realise how much blood sweat and money goes into building these old bikes ,that gpz 750 cost an arm and a leg to do . I suppose we do it for other reasons other than money . I hate to see an old bike go to the knackers yard when it could be re-built . Cheers , Alan .

Hey alan i know all about the blood sweat and money goes in to these old bikes, one of  the gpz 550,s i have is going to be a fun to build, i have a one previous owner bike which has been mine since 1987, about 10 years ago i started collecting NOS parts for it, i now have about 80% of the parts to build a new bike,  god knows how much i have spent but i am glad i did all the buying up of parts when i did,  another money pit of a bike is my 750 sandcast now that has swollowed up thousands of my hard earned, and is nowhere near being done ,
pete
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: atlsec on May 03, 2015, 06:51:19 PM
Hi Guys,
              The BSA was a 1962 Thunderbolt and by the end I could not wait to see it go ,it fought me every inch and I lost a lot doing it but you still have to do it as right as you can . Cheers Alan .
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: atlsec on May 03, 2015, 06:59:54 PM
Hi Guys again,
                       Just to mention that I took off the K1`s carbs and removed the float bowls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  .I have never seen so much brown hardened old petrol .It was like nut brittle and covered everything .The floats are solid and all jets are caked in it . What amazed me is that DK actually ran it on ether like it ,god knows how . Cheers Alan.
     
Title: Built bike pics
Post by: JamesH on May 03, 2015, 07:39:49 PM
Alan - when DK say they 'run' them I strongly suspect they use starter spray to momentarily fire them, then claim they're 'runners' even though the carbs are filfthy. Had it on a CB450 from them.
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: atlsec on May 03, 2015, 08:03:23 PM
Hi James ,
                Your right cause that's what they told me ,however it cannot do the engine any good starting it with old oil not fully circulated and whatever was in the bores . Having said that the engine turns over freely by hand (no plugs ) and the gearbox output shaft is also smooth to turn . The rear sprocket was loose and the gearbox sprocket was even looser and the chain was rubbish I would not like to have ridden this at all . Alan .
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: Trigger on May 03, 2015, 08:05:18 PM
Alan - when DK say they 'run' them I strongly suspect they use starter spray to momentarily fire them, then claim they're 'runners' even though the carbs are filfthy. Had it on a CB450 from them.

DK get through a lot of start you b@stard  ;)
Title: Re: Built bike pics
Post by: JamesH on May 03, 2015, 08:25:10 PM
I'm sure they do..,