Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Spanner1972 on May 12, 2015, 08:49:32 PM
-
Hello, im Matt from south wales and im just about to start a chop project. Its a 70's chopper frame, girder forks and a Honda CB 550 four engine,. I can guarantee you gents ill be picking your brains as im no bike builder and no very little about engines. First bit of advice i need is whats the best route to go down with the engine? I have the Haynes manual for the bike, is best to sit down with the manual and the engine and go through it? Thanks in advance.
-
Hi and welcome.
If you're interested, the South Wales section of the VJMC meet up at the Red Lion in Bonvilston on the last Saturday of the month from 2:00. I'll be there on my 400four. Hope to see you. It doesn't matter if you haven't got a bike to use yet, come anyway.
-
That's good to know. Thanks, I'll be the one asking all the questions. As they say if you don't ask you'll never know. Do you know of any one local that can help with the engine? I think once the engine is sorted I'll be ok (ish) lol.
-
On my cb550's I just bung the exhausts on plus carbs, check oil and tempoary fuel supply, and bench test the engine, if it tests out ok then personally I tend to run them as they are. I did once have a cb550 chop project but decided there were too many question marks about the frame and who / how well welded it was plus it was quite deffinately not streight. I do have a few bits around still from it.
-
It came with 2 engines, both in bits though. I'm no engine builder at all, need some hands on advice and on the job training. Lol.
-
Well that is how I learnt, 2 or 3 in bits engines that came with an in bits chop. First step check you have 2 550 engines, and that there are enough bits to make at last 1 engine- on mine the engines turned out to be from the 500 so the spares bike I bought for the cluch and casing was pretty useless. Follow the haynes manual, ask here if the manual gives helpfull advise about putting it back together in reverse of disassembly order - really not helpfull if you didn't disassemble it. I would think loosly re assemble it to get some idea of how it goes together and see what is missing might be a good first move if you have never done an engine before, then follow the manual regards strip down and inspection. Again any bits needed, here or ebay.
-
If you want to come to Gloucester with all the bits some therapy/tuition may be arrangeable
-
Don't try it without a manual
-
Thanks gents, i have the manual so thats a start. The engines look identical so hopefully they are the same, brought some parts into work today we have ultrasonic cleaners here, i turned the temp down a bit so it doesnt f**k anything up.
I might take you up on the offer of some tuition if i get stuck.
-
Im going to start a thread in the Project board on the build, please feel free to comment and give advice. Thanks.
-
Hi and good luck with the project
-
Thanks.
-
Another chop ;)
Good luck with your build.
Mick
-
Thanks Mick, allways loved the style of a chopper from when i first saw many moons ago as a kid. Divorce and boredom has given the time and space now to do it. Its in my living room, luckily i have a town house and have moved the living room upstairs. lol. Gonna have to stay single now until its finished. ;D
-
Is it the Honda manual or the Haynes---lots of difference, parts book can be handy as well
-
It is the Haynes manual i think, ill double check it when i get home. I t was on the US site for SOHC. I have a friend of a friend now hopefully looking at the engine for me.
-
Quite right Brian, a parts book come in very handy. You can find the parts list on line and print it out. It won't matter if it gets mucky then.
Pity the Suzuki parts books aren't as good.
-
I can do the Honda manual plus parts books and pdi details on a cd/dvd for a small consideration to cover postage and disc
-
I downloaded the Haynes of the U.S. Site and I'm sure they have the Honda one as well plus loads more downloads as well. I also did the electrical system as well iv just remembered.
-
No problem,if you change your mind just pm me, I think the manual they have is the one i sent Glen
-
Thats great, thanks you.