Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Tiny Tim on May 16, 2015, 05:40:30 PM

Title: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on May 16, 2015, 05:40:30 PM
Having neglected the 550 for a while and experiencing a points issue, I fitted a electronic ignition.
That seemed to have improved the bikes performance overall.

But, there is always a but. When I started the bike to take it out for a run today there is a rather nasty clattering/knocking sound coming from the back of the engine between the clutch and gearbox.

The clattering is not as noticeable when I increase the revs, it is still there none the less.

The electronic ignition has been checked an double checked.

When I pull the clutch in it's still there, when the bike has run for 5mins it's still there.

I'm at a loss really and would appreciate any advice.

Cheers
Tim
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Bryanj on May 16, 2015, 05:43:18 PM
How about with clutch in, in gear and revs at about 2,00
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on May 16, 2015, 06:31:42 PM
Not a great deal of difference.
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Bryanj on May 17, 2015, 01:05:24 AM
Difficult to diagnose without listeneing but if it wasn't there before thr bike was layed up the only thing i can think of is possibly rust in a bearing
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on May 17, 2015, 07:14:22 AM
I'll try a record a video of the bike running later today.
Thanks for the help.
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on May 21, 2015, 06:08:34 PM
Tried and failed to get a decent video recording of the clattering sound.
I've had a mechanic listen to it and he has recommended opening it up.
Now I have 2 projects :o
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on May 22, 2015, 03:18:43 PM
It sounds very much as you've described Oddjob.
Hopefully get a better idea next weekend.
Thanks for your help and advice.
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Ashdowner on August 12, 2015, 10:23:59 PM
Tiny Tim if you do solve this then let us know what you did because many of us have the same problem
Title: Re: Clattering sound.
Post by: Tiny Tim on August 17, 2015, 02:50:58 PM
No progress as yet on the 550. The 350 is taking up my spare time at the moment.