Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: bomber on June 04, 2015, 12:31:49 AM
-
Hello,
Still stuck with my engine rebuild.
Decided to re bore as there is are large "steps" on top of inners, hone did not clean them.
I need 0.5mm oversize found this on internet
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb550f1-super-sport-550-four-1976-england_model17113/piston-kit-050-non_06133374000p/#.VW-NbmRVhBf
they are just under 50 euros a piece, I wonder if there is a alternative source someone can recommend.
Also, my engineer recommended to look for cylinder sleeves, as he reckon they would be straightforward to replace and my standard bore pistons are fine.
But I cant find any...
Anythoughts?
Thanks
-
You will only get liners from a used set of cylinders and if your machinist is suggesting you fit liners i suggest you find another machinist as he does not understand the Honda SOHC. as to piston kits look at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CB500K-CB500F-1-0mm-57mm-Oversize-Pistons-Set-4-Pistons-included-CB500PS-2-/251631436275?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a966701f3#ht_1251wt_721
-
Also look at IMD piston kits I found him very reasonable and helpfull
-
Thanks for replays,
paul will try them tommorow, but that ebay price is very good...
Bryanj that ebay link is for cb550 I have 550 seems to remember that stock bore is 58.5 and so 0.5mm takes it to 59.00mm does it mean the piston size is 59mm, surely not right?
That ebay link is for 57mm you reckon it's right size for 550 in need of 0.5mm over size piston?
Sorry if it sounds daft, just trying to order right bits...
-
If you look in the title it sez 500-550
-
Sorry should have make it clearer, need them for my cb550f 1976, so definitely 550cc not 500.
Or are they the same?
Is the width of pistons/cylinders same just the length of cylinders different?
If you look in the title it sez 500-550
-
Search his other items as he lists 550 as well, my fault I didn't read your cms link!!
this link is a "big Bore 500" which is an oversize for the 550, 0.5mm I think (2nd oversize). He also does a Big Bore kit for the 550, 605 from memory. Both come complete with head gasket
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB500K-CB500F-553cc-Bigbore-Pistons-Kit-59mm-W-Head-Gasket-CI-CB500KBB-/261543222265?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3ce530dbf9
-
Thanks Bryanj,
Not sure about big bore pistons, I like to stick to standard motor.
The search continues...
Best
-
I might be able to dig out a matching set of barrels and pistons that are not badly worn. I am due a clearout and the coffers are somewhat bare.
-
OK but the 500 Big Bore is 550 2nd oversize which is what you are looking for
-
BINGO
that's the answer I was looking for!
Thanks Bryanj!
OK but the 500 Big Bore is 550 2nd oversize which is what you are looking for
-
Matthew, keep me in mind if you find the barrels, my pistons are fine and have rings too, So if barrels you got are on first bore and need just hone I'm interested.
I'm keen to get second engine built.
I might be able to dig out a matching set of barrels and pistons that are not badly worn. I am due a clearout and the coffers are somewhat bare.
-
Will do. I take it it is non urgent, if you are going the re bore route on what you have on this engine?
-
Correct, I'm going to re bore with pistons which are fingers crossed on the way.
My current build is kind of rough, my main objective is to have bike running asap, mind you it has been well over a year...
Will do. I take it it is non urgent, if you are going the re bore route on what you have on this engine?
-
Got pistons yesterday, excellent quick service, this baby's came all the way from japan, were packed well, and are looking good.
Another step forward to having bike in order and on the road.