Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Toe_Jam on June 14, 2015, 12:01:24 PM

Title: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Toe_Jam on June 14, 2015, 12:01:24 PM
I'm just prepping the swingarm ('71 CB500) to go to the powder coater and am trying to work out whether it's worth changing the bushings whilst it's all dismantled. Everything looks in reasonable nick and there is very little play if any. I know these things can be a bar-steward to get out but the stock parts wear pretty quickly apparently. Also not sure if the bushings were different on the K0? Does anyone know where I could get a good quality set of 1 piece bronze bushings like these for my swingarm:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131207862914&alt=web  (http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=131207862914&alt=web)
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: matthewmosse on June 14, 2015, 06:39:51 PM
Personally I ran my 500/4 for nearly a decade, for much of that time as my only transport with a sidecar just to really hammer the bushes, and still I have never had to do anything about them, I would leave them alone - just mask them off or at lest check with the powdercoater that his work doesn't require the swing arm bushes to be replaced. I belive bronze insert ones are reaconned to be a worthwhile upgrade, I wouldn't honestly know if mine were upgraded by a previous owner as I just wire brush things and bung on more paint with a brush.
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Tiny Tim on June 14, 2015, 08:37:31 PM
I've just had my 350 swing arm powder coated and after some advice from the good folk on here I removed the bushes and picked up some replacements.

I cut them out careful with a hacksaw blade. Only took me 10mins or so.
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Green1 on June 14, 2015, 08:41:08 PM
If there's any play in them no matter how small change them for bronze bushes its easier to do it now rather than later.

Mick 
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Toe_Jam on June 15, 2015, 12:25:00 AM
OK thanks for the responses. I guess I will change them whilst I already have the swingarm dismantled. Anyone know where I can get the parts or why the one I listed above wouldn't fit?

Cheers,
Tim
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Bryanj on June 15, 2015, 09:16:42 AM
They will fit but you might have to get the later type caps, as the early bushes had seperate fibre thrusts not a "Flange"
Title: Re: Swingarm Bushing
Post by: Trigger on June 15, 2015, 07:11:53 PM
Change them, as they are cheap to do and it will put your mind at rest for under a tenner. Link >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500-550-750-900-Four-Schwingenlager-Bronzebuchsen-Swingarm-Bushings-/360953538938