Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Nurse Julie on June 25, 2015, 09:10:27 PM

Title: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 25, 2015, 09:10:27 PM
Hi Chaps.
Looks like I have a problem with the front end of my bike, its a bit unstable !!!. What I'm looking for is a good pivot arm and pin for my 400F but the 500/4 and 550/4 also fits I have been informed. Has anyone got one lurking in a dark corner somewhere please?.
Ta in advance
Julie  :-* :-* :-*
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 26, 2015, 07:42:50 AM
Problably got one somewhere Julie but it will almost certaily be in a worst state than yours. The pin corrodes in the alloy despite the 'O'  rings on the pin  and the alloy part hole enlarges. Does anyone know if someone bushes these or sells a slightly oversize pin so you can ream out the alloy. I did this on my 750K0 setup but it's a different design and slightly easier.

Ash
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: ColCB400 4 on July 14, 2015, 09:59:27 PM
Phil Denton can make you one out of stainless steel, the pivot pin.

http://phildentonengineering.com/
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: Trigger on July 14, 2015, 10:56:13 PM
sound expensive  :o
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: ColCB400 4 on July 16, 2015, 08:26:04 PM
yeh, n sounds like the right thing to do.
Polish brake arm and alloy bracket, send to phil, pivot pin sent back perfect... probably all done for £70.
Paint brake arm if you wish but perfect job...
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 16, 2015, 09:08:11 PM
I'm not really worried about the polishing, just wanted it nice and tight. Took it apart and some plonker PO had put copper grease in it. Anyways it's all sorted now, nice and tight and working a treat. I still think £70 is plenty of money for that job, I would want at least 3 for that, being a hard up Nurse and all that  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: mike the bike on July 16, 2015, 10:21:42 PM
There's nowt wrong with using a smear of copper grease to prevent it seizing up, I'm thinking of injecting it under my kneecaps.
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 16, 2015, 10:24:43 PM
See you for two knee replacements soon then Mike  ;D ;D ;D ;D. Grease without copper bits grinding away behind your knee caps  may be more suitable  : ::) ::) ::) ::)
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: mike the bike on July 17, 2015, 07:52:06 AM
Normal grease it is then, now where did I put that grease gun?
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 17, 2015, 08:17:25 AM
I'm not really worried about the polishing, just wanted it nice and tight. Took it apart and some plonker PO had put copper grease in it. Anyways it's all sorted now, nice and tight and working a treat. I still think £70 is plenty of money for that job, I would want at least 3 for that, being a hard up Nurse and all that  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't see how its sorted now Julie if there was play before. The hole in the alloy bit becomes oversize and the pin is loose usually because of the corrosion on the pin and alloy. Has anyone bushed the alloy arm one of these ?  I have looked at a few parts from PD engineering but they do seem a bit pricey plus the SS he uses is probably a weaker material than the original steel... I am sure this is OK due to safety factors designed in by Honda but on paper,a weaker part IMHO.

Ash
Title: Re: 400/4 Brake Pivot Arm
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 17, 2015, 10:44:40 AM
Hi Ash
I got a recon one from Trigger. It had a new bronze bush, new seals and even has a grease nipple on the back. It's really tight and feels good now.

 :-* :-* :-*