Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: beemsquar on July 05, 2015, 04:56:48 PM
-
Hello all,
I'm looking for some help with the sidestand on my CB400.
Some numpty has bodge welded the stand on my bike at the wrong angle as the bike leans too far over.
it might even be the wrong stand, but either way I am going to have to cut a section out of the frame and weld a new piece in and put the stand at the correct angle.
could anyone tell me the correct angle and length it should be please? I've checked online with at no avail.
I only picked it up on Friday and at first seemed to be reasonable condition, but the more I dig the more pieces are missing or bodged.
Cheers
Andy
-
Mine had a short side stand on it off a CG125 so I bought a 2nd hand one from 400Four bits which is 220mm long, below are the dimensions of the side stand bracket on mine, as the bike had been butchered before I got it these may not be correct although with the correct stand it seems to stand at the right angle.
[attachimg=1]
-
Cheers Bodd, that's very helpful.
Thanks you.
-
Andy... just a though... are the tyres the correct spec? My bike (when I got it) has over-sized tyres and too leaned rather much. Another clue (in my case) was the back wheel fairly solid on the ground when on centre stand.
Simon.
-
Good point!
No, the wheels aren't either the guy I bought it from had fitted 19" constar wheels to roll the bike around while the 18" originals were being re-chromed.
Unfortunately the centre stand looks like it's been cut off, so I haven't tried that yet. I have it in a box he gave me, just need to figure out how to attach it back on.
Thats something I didn't think about, I am interested in changing the wheels to 19" as would like to put a set of Avon speedmasters or similar on the bike, but I can't find them for 18" rims.
I am at a point where the bike is pretty much stripped, except for the engine, front forks and handlebars. I am trying to set up the stands, but I need a set of wheels that I am going to use to get the bike to sit right before I go any further.
If I wanted to fit 19" rims, what other problems might I expect to run into and is there a better alternative? Are there any tire size suggestions for a retro look on 18" rims?
I would like to powdercoat the rims, so am thinking about selling the original chromed rims anyway as it seems like sacrilege to have them media blasted and powdercoated. The re-chroming cost the guy a fair bit to have done and I would rather someone else make use of them.
I have just bought a complete bearing set front and back and new dust covers and retaining screws for the hubs, so just need to figure out where to go from here.
Cheers
Andy
-
Just keep in mind that if you change the wheel size you will get the wrong reading from your speedo.
-
I have a built 400 and a bare frame so If you want to have a measure up free free to PM me to arrange a viewing. I do have a few spares not sure on centre stand but maybe a side stand and spring.