Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: MarkCR750 on July 09, 2015, 08:15:50 PM
-
I rode my CR for the first time today (actually its not a CR lookalike yet, it's in MOT trim, lights indicators etc, looks a bit odd as you can see below!), anyway once it's MOT'd it's remove the road bits, refit the fairing for a final check of fit, then the tank, seat and Fairing go off to the paintists).
First impressions;
Fuelling is pretty close, no flat spots, nice burbling backfires on the throttle down, I'll probably lose that once I've got the fuelling bang on , shame really.
Front forks way too soft, need some progressive springs.
Sounds glorious, took it on a few country roads and it was intoxicating, had to reign myself in a bit :).
It's quicker than I thought it would be, probably due to losing all that weight (the bike not me).
Handling feels pretty neutral but I will wait until I've firmed the front up before pushing it too much.
Front brakes are very good!, I was surprised because I'd read that the dual disc set up didn't massively improve the brakes, that's wrong it definitely does, and no squeals, yet!.
Nothing fell off!, right hand footrest/rearset need a tweak but that's probably me forgetting to tighten it in the first place.
Got to the MOT station and they'd double booked so it's now booked in for 10am tomorrow, wish me luck!!!!!.
PS insurance was £261 fully comp with Bikesure, that is for a custom bike policy which allows any modifications (apart from engine tuning, but they don't class non standard air filters and 4 into 1 as tuning), I couldn't be bothered to shop around and thought that not a bad price considering almost any mod is allowed.
-
Very nice - looks great!
-
Thanks Phil, can't wait to get it finished now, it rode better than I thought it would, hopefully I can get the fairing etc painted in the next couple of weeks and then it will look a bit more CR'ish .
-
Looking good, not far to go now
petre
-
Well done Mark that's coming along nicely...
-
Cheers chaps, passed , no advisories , will wonders never cease!.
Gave her a temporary coat of Matt black before the MOT, no particular reason , maybe a bit embarrassed by the previous 2 tone primer , looking fwd to getting the paint done properly , honda metallic burnt orange, very 70's
-
Very nice Mark. I,m still miles behind you, have only just sent hubs off to central wheels with those Italian rims for lacing up. And still scratching my head about a tank.
-
I have good news for you about the Italian rims, they are Borranis , I took mine to central wheels , the wheel builder said "oh you've got Borranis " I said no they are unbranded , he said well I can assure you they are Borranis , evidently they sell them to the trade in Italy unbranded to get around franchise rules , nice surprise, I got my fibreglass tank from Jon Clarson in Holland , £225 delivered, expect to pay triple that for an alloy version, good luck with your build if you need any info just ask, can't wait to get the headlamp etc off mine and fairing etc on.
-
Gamma if you need an alloy tank I have two of ASA moyces (Bartel engineering) CR750 tanks sitting boxed on my shelf. As received from ASA never used. One will probably be surplus to requirements....
-
Asa Moyce! there's a name that brings back meories - I used to love watching him wrestle with his Z1 in proddie races in the early 70's - now that was entertainment!
-
Hi Mark,
That's good news, I am having them laced but no tyres fitted as yet, as still some way off before I start the actual build. As I work in Saudi I will do the final build when I am finished out here. I am still unsure about the tank. Hi James I have sent you a PM about your tank.
-
No problem Gamma. Got the pm. I'm looking for £600 for the tank + postage. It's never been out of the box (other than an initial visual check on arrival) - happy to pull it off the shelf, unpack & photograph if you or anyone else is seriously interested. James
-
Hi James, I am now seriously interested, I realise I will have to cut the sump off if I want to retain the original oil tank. I have now seen your original post about this tank from January I think. Can you check out the tank, and confirm that it will slot straight onto the CB750F1 frame and give clearance for clip-ons, which it should. I know that I have to weld or mount an extra cross point at the back for the rear strap. Send me some pics please and we could have deal.
-
Hi Gamma. That was actually a third tank I had - that first one sold VERY quickly. I have two left which I had plans with for both. Sadly I won't have time to check this against an f1 frame as I don't have one. I do have a K2 that I can test fit it to. You'll need to do your own research regarding clip-on clearance etc as this will be fork/triple tree offset dependant. I'm not looking to make any money out of this (as they are £499+vat and postage from Meadspeed). You're just benefiting from not having to wait for 12 months. Up to you.
-
Hi James, I am now seriously interested, I realise I will have to cut the sump off if I want to retain the original oil tank. I have now seen your original post about this tank from January I think. Can you check out the tank, and confirm that it will slot straight onto the CB750F1 frame and give clearance for clip-ons, which it should. I know that I have to weld or mount an extra cross point at the back for the rear strap. Send me some pics please and we could have deal.
Gamma, you wont have to cut the sump off if you turn the original tank through 90 degrees, as I did, my tank doesn't have a sump but I've hidden a lot of my electrics where the sump would have been.
P.S. I drilled through and tapped my steering stops on the triple tree and fitted bolts with lock nuts, that way I can adjust the amount of lock, depends how much you sweep the clipons back as well of course.
-
Hi James and Mark, I had already made this,
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/DSCF2140.jpg)
A new battery tray with reg/rec and fuse box etc:, but nice idea about tank.
James I am sending a couple of photos soon of my spare F1 frame I just took in Saudi, can you compare as best as you can with your K2 and send me some pics. I shall also send pics of tank that didnt fit. (http://[URL=http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/DSCF2140.jpg.html)
-
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_0048.jpg)
[URL=http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_57421.jpg.html](http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_57421.jpg) (http://[URL=http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_0048.jpg.html)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_57411.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_57411.jpg.html)
-
Looks pretty much the same as my K7 frame did Gamma, I doubt there is much difference between the two.
-
I agree Mark, here are the photos of the tank i bought and then returned. The tunnel was too narrow to go over the outer frame rails, and the cut-out underneath did not match the frame triagular supports. I also realised that the front of the tank was not going to allow clip-ons.
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/image4.png) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/image4.png.html)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/image1.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/image1.jpg.html)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/image2.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/image2.jpg.html)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/image4.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/image4.jpg.html)
sorry about size of photos
-
I wouldn't be surprised if your previous tank had been made for a CB550, and not very well by he look of things :), you're in for a nice surprise if you haven't seen Asa Moyes work before (Bartel Engineering), the guy is a genius (see below,photo not taken from the best angle but obviously a quality product).
-
The tank was big and actually quite good but would probably suit the 550 frame. I am familiar with the Bartel tank having seen pictures of it before but was originally looking for something more like a big endurance type tank. However, I am now becoming more interested in a quality product that is available and will have to rethink my battery/ oil tank options. I wanted more of an endurance type look which is why I bought the motogpwerks exhaust. I had already made up braided hoses for the original oil tank and also manufactured a complete wiring loom from scratch ( I'm not an electrician, but how hard can it be? ha ha) Removed the electric starter. Also using tarozzi rear sets with my own modifications. Also using digital tachometer and speedo from KOSO.
-
The tank was big and actually quite good but would probably suit the 550 frame. I am familiar with the Bartel tank having seen pictures of it before but was originally looking for something more like a big endurance type tank. However, I am now becoming more interested in a quality product that is available and will have to rethink my battery/ oil tank options. I wanted more of an endurance type look which is why I bought the motogpwerks exhaust. I had already made up braided hoses for the original oil tank and also manufactured a complete wiring loom from scratch ( I'm not an electrician, but how hard can it be? ha ha) Removed the electric starter. Also using tarozzi rear sets with my own modifications. Also using digital tachometer and speedo from KOSO.
I'm not in a position to judge electrical expertise after connecting my battery backwards and burning out my first loom! ::), the 90 degree turn of the oil tank and battery under the seat hump give an uncluttered look that I prefer, but it's all down to personal choice. I have a gel battery fitted at present but will swap to a lithium battery because they are so light, it will be a shame not to use the bits that you have already made but I have made and discarded several parts during my build so far, I will be changing my rear sets and no doubt a few other things for better quality items as the build goes on, 4 into 4 exhaust etc, all part of the (expensive) fun really!.
PS watch this space re my economy race tacho build!.
-
i have done my own thing on the project, here is the mount for the clocks
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_0034.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_0034.jpg.html)
made a chain guard
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/IMG_0228.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/IMG_0228.jpg.html)
modified the top yolk
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z293/galaxy8155/tripletree-1.jpg) (http://s192.photobucket.com/user/galaxy8155/media/tripletree-1.jpg.html)
took me a long time to work out the wiring, hopefully wont all go up in smoke
-
Very neat work, 15k revs is maybe a tad optimistic though :), unless your fitting a 400/4 engine, I know a breaker that tried to blow up a 400/4 years ago when they were worthless, he taped the throttle wide open, left it revving its head off for ten minutes, it ran perfectly afterwards!!, I doubt our 750 lumps would survive that.
I'm making my own Tacho including the dial so I can put whatever scale on there I like, might half the increments and have it show a 19k red line :)
-
;D yeah can't remember why I went for that tacho, probably couldn't get one of the small ones in the right rpm range needed. But hey ho, won't be looking at it much, especially when I miss a gear ;D.
Interested to see what you come up with
-
What makes you think the 750 engines is any less reliable at sustained high r.p.m? Many 750's were seriously tuned back in the 70's and raced hard, Russ Collins (U.S. Drag racer) often said the bottom ends were practically indestuctible even as standard, he ran supercharged big bore kits on stock bottom ends, with no major weaknesses showing up.
-
My guess is that the small size and lightness of the reciprocating parts of the 400/4 allowed it to survive 10 minutes at 14k revs in neutral , you could be right, maybe the 750 could do the same but I won't be trying it with mine 😀
-
;D yeah can't remember why I went for that tacho, probably couldn't get one of the small ones in the right rpm range needed. But hey ho, won't be looking at it much, especially when I miss a gear ;D.
Interested to see what you come up with
Here's my first attempt Gamma, I was going for the uncluttered look but I think I've overdone it, too uncluttered so I'll change it, so far it's cost about £7 so plenty of scope for improvement 😀
-
Electric or cable?
-
Cable, its the original rev counter from the K7 donor bike with its face sprayed matt black and numbers applied with lettraset, the chrome bezel is from a Triumph sports car , total cost £7, think I'll change the design though , I have plenty of lettraset left! :)
-
She's a beauty
-
have you seen the one on ebay?
-
have you seen the one on ebay?
Yes it sold for 6299, a bargain.
-
maybe a different one. this one is up for £14,500
-
Can you post a link, I can't find it?
-
dont know how to post a link but if you type 03309008634 into ebay homepage it comes up with all the sellers bikes
-
Thanks looks good, bit pricey maybe.