Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: theshootist on July 22, 2015, 07:31:58 AM

Title: New member with a cb750
Post by: theshootist on July 22, 2015, 07:31:58 AM
Hi,

I've got interested in older bikes over the last few years and last year finally bought a 1978 F2 SOHC that has already been turned into a cafe racer. It's turned out to be quite a project and having replaced almost every baring in the engine and the gearbox I now have a bike which runs properly. I'm looking for information on how to further improve braking and suspension. It's a fun bike.

Thanks
(http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/h2497/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140830_095824%201.jpg) (http://s598.photobucket.com/user/h2497/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-08/20140830_095824%201.jpg.html)
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: hairygit on July 22, 2015, 09:00:08 AM
That looks very like an F1 to me, not an F2, the F2 has comstar wheels, black engine, twin discs up front, and the pillion footrests and rear m/cyl are mounted on seperate alloy castings. So I woul say that your bike is an F1, which is good news, as many engine parts, particularly cyl head and valve train parts are very difficult to find and expensive for F2's. So enjoy your bike, and what's left of the summer;-)
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: theshootist on July 22, 2015, 10:29:32 AM
Thanks for the info! Part of the problem I'm having is that I'm not sure what I have exactly as I didn't do the conversion. I bought it mainly because I wanted one that still had a kick starter!  Interestingly the front right fork appears to have the holes necessary to mount a second caliper, so I had thought that the builder had converted it to a single disc for looks.  I want to convert it back or maybe even fit a different set of forks (as long as I can keep the wheels).
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: hairygit on July 22, 2015, 11:25:54 AM
All of the sohc 750's had fork legs set up with mounting points for twin front discs, but the F2 was the only model that had twin discs/calipers fitted as standard from the factory. Yes, you can put a second caliper and disc on your bike, but it can be difficult and expensive to do properly, and to be honest I would not bother as properly set up a single front disc is plenty good enough unless you are planning to race it on a track. There are several threads on here about problems people have had trying to fit/set up twin discs on the front. As regards what exactly your bike is based on, if you p.m. your frame number to Bryan J on here, he can give you a definite answer, although my money is on it being an F1:-D
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: Green1 on July 22, 2015, 11:52:13 PM
Welcome its good to see another 750 member the 400 boys will be outnumbering us soon.
As for the brakes pull the leaver as if your life depends on it  ;D ;D
Seriously though well set up brakes work well enough just remember your on a 70's bike.Forget everything you've learnt on a modern bike. 

Mick
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: royhall on July 23, 2015, 07:45:46 AM
Yep that is not an F2. Frame, brakes, carbs, forks, engine colour are all as per F1. Lovely bike though, and not having the horrible PD carbs is a dream come true.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: theshootist on July 25, 2015, 03:02:41 PM
Thanks Gents! She's been out today to continue the run in. PM sent to Bryan J with serial no.
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 25, 2015, 05:23:41 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum, I hope you have fun.
Julie
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: Trigger on July 25, 2015, 08:33:41 PM
Welcome to the mad world of the SOHC, enjoy and watch out for the bitches.
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: Nurse Julie on July 25, 2015, 09:00:02 PM
Yes Trigger, I know you call all us 400/4 owners 'bitches' but we will have the last laugh as there are so many of us now, we almost rule the forum  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: philward on July 25, 2015, 10:11:37 PM
Welcome to the forum - see - you've learned something from your first post!
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: theshootist on October 26, 2015, 11:10:31 PM
New exhaust to get the bike though an MOT. The sawn off Motad was  not going to pass and was a bit too loud in any case.

(http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/h2497/20151024_095130.jpg) (http://s598.photobucket.com/user/h2497/media/20151024_095130.jpg.html)

(http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt65/h2497/20151024_095122.jpg) (http://s598.photobucket.com/user/h2497/media/20151024_095122.jpg.html)
Title: Re: New member with a cb750
Post by: AshimotoK0 on October 27, 2015, 06:21:38 AM
Welcome .. If you need manuals see my Dropbox link.

Best way I have found is have a 400,500,750 and 'other bikes'  ::) then you can contribute (or in my case on the 500) soak up the knowledge.

Believe me this is the best forum you have joined for help, friendliness and banter !

Ash