Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Ashdowner on August 10, 2015, 11:29:12 AM

Title: Electronic ignition battery drain
Post by: Ashdowner on August 10, 2015, 11:29:12 AM
I put electronic ignition on my CB550K3. If I run with the headlamp on and have a run that involves a lot of traffic and not much revving I find that the battery power gets pretty depleted by the time I'm home. The battery is recent and with the optimiser I'm sure it's in good condition. Anybody else noticed this?
Title: Re: Electronic ignition battery drain
Post by: mike the bike on August 10, 2015, 12:29:21 PM
No.  Maybe it's the coils - too low resistance.
Title: Re: Electronic ignition battery drain
Post by: Lobo on August 10, 2015, 03:16:51 PM
If you take the standard bike & tot up the max loads they come pretty close to the alternators rated output. And then you drive through slow traffic using the headlamp etc that likely wasn't envisaged  to be on "24/7".... and presto.

And as Mike points out... many of these electronic ignition systems recommend 'uprated coils' whose higher performance is simply a result of higher power consumption.. tho' accept you have not necessarily installed and remain OEM here.

On these old bikes you have to 'do the math' a bit more than what we're used to!

Simon.

Title: Re: Electronic ignition battery drain
Post by: Ashdowner on August 11, 2015, 06:09:04 AM
No the coils are originals. Looks like I'm stuck with it.