Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 07:03:39 PM

Title: Number Plates
Post by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 07:03:39 PM
Thanks to a sweet little old lady who decided she need to knock my bike of its stand instead of parking in her own car parking bay ( >:( ),  I need -amongst other things - a new number plate. Can anybody please tell me what is now classed as legal? I'm wanting it to be exactly as original but is that OK? And can anyone recommend a supplier?
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: tom400f on August 11, 2015, 07:15:06 PM
http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/

Think there is also another place which I will try to remember

Update: http://www.framptonsplates.com/BikePlates.html
For any vehicles manufactured after 1st January 1973 it became legal to have reflective plates, with black digits with a yellow background on the rear.
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: Trigger on August 11, 2015, 07:16:49 PM
Or >>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-MOTORCYCLE-NUMBER-PLATE-9-X-6-5-ROAD-LEGAL-/171749852865
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: mike the bike on August 11, 2015, 07:17:36 PM
Tippers do the yellow pressed aluminium ones
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 07:24:26 PM
Thanks for the links, it's definitely the pressed metal one I need.
Was it standard to have a black border around the number plate?
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: tom400f on August 11, 2015, 07:29:39 PM
Guess that only came about with the advent of acrylic, so no!  ;)
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 07:32:13 PM
My current "original" pressed metal has one....
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: tom400f on August 11, 2015, 07:44:11 PM
Seemed unlikely to me with the letters being raised but I stand corrected  :)
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: Trigger on August 11, 2015, 07:54:27 PM
Like this >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-7-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bike-Aluminium-Metal-PRESSED-Number-Plate-GIFTS-/291528566863?hash=item43e074e84f
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 07:59:24 PM
That looks pretty similar to what I have on - is that not the original style then?
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: Chris400F on August 11, 2015, 08:27:31 PM
Like this >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-x-7-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Bike-Aluminium-Metal-PRESSED-Number-Plate-GIFTS-/291528566863?hash=item43e074e84f
Need to beware of ones like this - they state as being for show use only so probably not legal font. Depends how vigilant your local plod is.

I bought one earlier this year from Chestnut Registrations at http://www.chestnut-registrations.co.uk/vintagebikeplates.aspx.
Pressed aluminium, no border but choice of sizes of plates - I went for 9 x 6 1/2" plate, 2 1/2" digits.
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: mike the bike on August 11, 2015, 08:44:37 PM
The earlier ones didn't have the black border but the later,  80s ones did.  I've got the one without.
Title: Re: Number Plates
Post by: ted_paper on August 11, 2015, 09:54:17 PM
Thanks everyone.