Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: captaink on August 28, 2015, 03:30:38 PM

Title: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on August 28, 2015, 03:30:38 PM
Hi, I have ordered some engine parts for my 750 Rickman but every time they seem to have trouble with the engine number
It's on the v5 as the original 1979 rickman engine
It's a black F2
Serial no. F2750E 2248782

Any thoughts as to confirming the age
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Johnwebley on August 28, 2015, 03:36:28 PM
I always thought they (Honda UK ) used the frame number to give model and date of manufacture,


 maybe Bryanj could use your engine number to give you some idea
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: hairygit on August 28, 2015, 03:42:27 PM
Silly question, but who are you trying to order parts from, some places are much better than others, I have found a lot of high street Honda dealers really can't be bothered to look things up properly, I have even had one turn round and say " Try a scrapyard where something that old belongs!" I was only wanting a kickstart oil seal, needless to say I didn't go there again!
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on August 28, 2015, 04:11:41 PM
I just wanted to confirm the engine date as the frame has a rickman serial number.
But David silver says it's a k5 number but it is an f2 engine for sure so later.
I have located a supplier of F2 parts being Suzuki performance spares ltd. they do Honda parts as well and have in stock F2 APE valve guides, springs etc. F2 valves are kibblewhite and delivery of about 2-3 weeks.
I have ordered these so the head overhaul can progress.
They also do the 836cc big bore kit.
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Johnwebley on August 28, 2015, 04:16:52 PM
try this link to the US site,


http://www.sohc4.net/cb750f-serial-numbers/

will try a cut n paste


Model   Production
CB750 F   15,000
CB750 F1   44,000
CB750 F2   25,000
CB750 F3   18,400
CB750F SERIAL NUMBERS

Model   Model Year   Production Dates   Frame #                               Engine #
CB750 F0   1975   Jan 1975 – Feb 1975   1000002 to 1015054   2500004 to 25115085
CB750 F1   1976   Mar 1975 – Nov 1976   2000003 to 2022317   2525094 to 2563530
CB750 F2   1977   Nov 1976 – May 1977   2100011                                 E2600004
CB750 F3   1978   May 1977 – May 1978   2200001                                 E3100001




Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Bryanj on August 29, 2015, 11:38:25 PM
Honda engine number always start with CB never F2 so if it is that it is NOT an original number
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on August 30, 2015, 09:53:55 AM
Have a look at this picture of my casings, the engine was black , factory coating .
It does not look like it's been tampered with and there's not any evidence that any things been messed with.

Perhaps Rickman added the numbers when new, ?

?????????????
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Bryanj on August 30, 2015, 10:23:29 AM
Thats not a Honda stamping--too irregular and doesnt look right, new cases come unstamped and I suspect rickman re-built a damaged engine and restamped a number but got it wrong
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on August 30, 2015, 10:33:26 AM
Interesting!
It was also suggested to me that Rickman bought the engine new and  unstamped and built the bike.
I know v5 s can have numbers changed  but this appears all 1979
The engine appears though to have never been apart, there's no sign at all of any damage. In fact it appears in very good condition
The engine parts are also F2
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Bryanj on August 30, 2015, 01:14:16 PM
To the best of my knowledge Honda never supplied complete engines only all the parts but if an engine with damaged cases was rebuilt by a good mechanic it would look original
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on August 30, 2015, 03:52:40 PM
The mystery continues !
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Trigger on September 01, 2015, 08:49:12 AM
Wrong font, Rickman would of used new crank case's with a blank plate and put there own numbers on. Not uncommon ;)
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on September 01, 2015, 04:43:21 PM
The other suggestion was that someone purchased the Rickman kit and transferred there engine and other bits to it, then changing the details on the v5 with dvla ?
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Bryanj on September 01, 2015, 05:43:51 PM
Doent alter the fact that the number looks wrong with the wrong typeface
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on September 01, 2015, 06:21:24 PM
I split the cases and I believe they have not been apart before but who knows !
The numbers may or may not be factory stamped !
So what's the conclusion ?
The engine was black, it's got bigger valves so it's f2

In the end it matters nothing but as long as the new parts I order fit ...who cares

Question though...... Would all the bottom half of the engines be the same ?
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: royhall on September 01, 2015, 06:59:02 PM
If you check the underside of the head the casting is unique to the F2. The oil drains are cast different to the k's. The F2 head won't fit a k block.
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: captaink on September 01, 2015, 08:41:02 PM
Thanks for all your comments,
I'll let you know how all progresses
Title: Re: Confirm engine number
Post by: Bryanj on September 02, 2015, 06:33:32 AM
I think the only difference on F2 cases was the black paint, early 750 cases were different and I know the output shaft bearing changed a couple of times but not sure about the groove for the clip in the cases